• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Followed Souths quite closely last year as I moved close to their playing fields. My observations were they built a great team and structure with Quade as a focal point early in the season, he got injured, the players around him who had plenty of ability had learned to be too reliant on QC (Quade Cooper) and the wheels fell off a bit. Quade returns, probably not playing as well as he did for the first part of the season, maybe because clubs had become more aware of his ability to impact the game and this might sound harsh but I felt they weren't really going to challenge for the Premiership in the weeks leading up the Finals.

They should be pretty damn good this year though if they have retained those players (less QC (Quade Cooper) and KHunt) and added others.

Is David Pace (hooker) rolling around again - after all the commotion about him getting dispensation to play finals on safety ground (despite the fact that their colts hooker who is in Aus U20 consideration this year was available) - his one scrum late in the minor semi resulted in a penalty against the magpie scrum!!!

One wonders whether if they had got clearance for K Hunt they might have got through to the Prelim against GPS but I don't think anyone was going to stand in front of the Gallopers in 2018.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Souths colts hooker (2018) has apparently left South's and joined Easts for 2019.

The Tigers needed a hooker with Andrew Ready joining the Force.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone make it down to the Brisbane 7s tournament at ballymore last night (or going today)

Could be a good indication of premier rugby rosters this season minus the props and second rowers obviously.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Didn’t make it out to the Brisbane 7s so can’t comment on the competition itself but geez it looked like a flop crowd wise on social media. Around 15 people on The Hill and freckles of spectators throughout one side of the stands. What happened?? I’m guessing their funding dried up.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Didn’t make it out to the Brisbane 7s so can’t comment on the competition itself but geez it looked like a flop crowd wise on social media. Around 15 people on The Hill and freckles of spectators throughout one side of the stands. What happened?? I’m guessing their funding dried up.

Mate it was a shame that you did not make it. Overall the Crowd was disappointing and I blame the clubs that did not put teams in being Sunnybank, Brothers and GPS. Once again a real opportunity its lost it could have been a real booming start to the season but again self interest rules supreme.

The event was very well run, the footy was pretty good with the Colts Womens and Press being a great concept. Although games went late into the night it was clear that the organisers had thought about the heat for the players. I for one hope they have a three year plan which recognises that year one would be a loss as like the QPR 7's it could be a great ting for the game locally.

PS had a bit of a look around Ballymore and it is a shame to see the old lady in such disrepair. I will say this done properly it would not take tons of cash to make her a great Reds venue again even though I know the powers that be will have her knocked down.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think the lack of a crowd goes deeper than a few clubs electing not to put teams in, although it is disappointing. Maybe its just me and the outlets I frequent but I feel that generally the 7s buzz has died down a bit, there seemed to be a lot more media around it a few years ago (Olympic's hype probably contributed to this).

Personally I see some merit in running a Colts (men's and women's) 7s club competition concurrently to the Premier comp. Could keep a few more players in the game and provide a specific 7s pathway. Most players would be specifically selected in the 7s team but a few might be able to play both.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I personally feel they should try and re-invent the wheel a little here and create a Brisbane Club 10s competition. Have all 9 clubs participate (they are more likely to send full squads for trials as 10s replicates 15s) and you’d get more of a turn out crowdwise

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Doesn’t help when there’s another 7s tournament in south Queensland (Roma7s)
Doesn’t help when there’s a international 7s tournament interstate (sydney7s)

Not putting any blame on the organisers. If anybody is to blame it’s the governing body for not having a unison #AsOne 7s schedule which every venue gets a exclusive weekend free of alternative tournaments.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Mate it was a shame that you did not make it. Overall the Crowd was disappointing and I blame the clubs that did not put teams in being Sunnybank, Brothers and GPS. Once again a real opportunity its lost it could have been a real booming start to the season but again self interest rules supreme.

The event was very well run, the footy was pretty good with the Colts Womens and Press being a great concept. Although games went late into the night it was clear that the organisers had thought about the heat for the players. I for one hope they have a three year plan which recognises that year one would be a loss as like the QPR 7's it could be a great ting for the game locally.

PS had a bit of a look around Ballymore and it is a shame to see the old lady in such disrepair. I will say this done properly it would not take tons of cash to make her a great Reds venue again even though I know the powers that be will have her knocked down.
Anyone know where the results are published??

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyone know where the results are published??

Mate I don't think they were but my brain addled remembrance is this
Prem Grade
1st Souths Def West in the final
3rd Bond defeated UQ
5th W=Easts Defeated Souths 2
Womens
1st Sunnybank Def UQ
3rd Barbarians Def Wests
Colts
1st Wests Def Souths
3rd Sunnybank Def Bond

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So the reds just announced their starting lineup for tomorrow’s trial & there’s been some movement on club allegiance with incoming recruits

Hegarty - back at GPS
Hardy - Easts

Naivalu - still TBC

Reactions: dru

steveadams12

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Souths colts hooker (2018) has apparently left South's and joined Easts for 2019.

The Tigers needed a hooker with Andrew Ready joining the Force.
The colt your thinking of didn’t even play one game at hooker for Souths colts all year, he played mostly tighthead prop

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
The colt your thinking of didn’t even play one game at hooker for Souths colts all year, he played mostly tighthead prop

And at least one start as a Hooker in Prem Grade (against GPS first round) along with some games off the bench in Prems, as well as being on the bench for Souths in the Finals alongside Paice.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
How long til trials? Any update on player movement over the summer break?

2nd March Compass Cup East V Souths, Wests V Norths I don't know about anyone else.
Easts big pick up being Mose R as Head coach will e interesting to see how that goes as he is a Easts legend. They seem to have recruited very well
Sunnybank has had quite a few move elsewhere due to some internal issues.
Brothers to be big improvers this year IMHO due to a very good reggies team and a very strong result in all colts grades.
My pick for the top four in no particular order is.
UQ
Brothers
Souths
Bond

GPS and Wests to be on the edge.
Norths, Easts and Sunnybank for the spoon

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
What do Norths need to do to get back in the winners circle? They invested a few good years under coach Fogs who has now left them to return as an assistant at GPS and that didnt really amount to much. Traditionally they were always accommodating to some of the lower grades players who just wanted to play footy casually but even many of those have joined subbies clubs or retired, so their player base keeps eroding.

Is there a big shift this year with a new coaching structure?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Isn't Latho coaching colts at Norths? Think he is also involved with a second tier RWC team.

Gr8 to see him back in the rugby fold but don't know how it will help player attraction/retention at Shaw Road.

Would have loved to have seen him return to Sylvan Road!!!

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh I had heard about Latho. He was a Reds icon but has been largely absent from the rugby scene, at least in Brisbane Premier Clubs for quite some time. I'm not sure having him leading their Colts charge will inspire the masses to come and soar like an Eagle! But I haven't seen their player numbers this year so could be wrong.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Thinks Norths biggest issue might actually be its location.

They are located so close to Brothers and there’s only 1 real rugby nursery on Northside (& granted it’s a important one)

Why would any Nudgee player go to North’s over Brothers?

My solution to fix North’s is drop some naplam over Crosby road and hope all those Northern Suburbs players pick Shaw Rd & don’t travel to the southern suburbs for their club allegiance.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can anyone tell me when QRU will update premier Rugby "Fixtures and Results to 2019? Has the draw been completed?

Status
Not open for further replies.