• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They've recruited very well it looks like. Some of the younger talent too. Reckon they're a good chance of going back to back.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
GPS SEASON PREVIEW

Well written and interesting article. However "No side has won consecutive titles since the now defunct Canberra Vikings in 2003, can GPS break another drought in 2019 and win two on the trot?"

is a little negligent of the truth!! Did the writer mean in the 21st Century?? Because that would make sense, otherwise South (90's) and Brothers (80's) had 5 in a row, UQ 4 in row in 50's and UQ (80's), the aforementioned Canberra and Brothers twice (50's & 70's) had three in a row.... and that's just the Hospital Cup (since 1946)!

That said, I am excited for Jeeps in a repeat, but get the data right. I know I'm proud of the efforts of Brothers forebears as I am sure others are of their clubs great results.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
GPS SEASON PREVIEW

Well written and interesting article. However "No side has won consecutive titles since the now defunct Canberra Vikings in 2003, can GPS break another drought in 2019 and win two on the trot?"

is a little negligent of the truth!! Did the writer mean in the 21st Century?? Because that would make sense, otherwise South (90's) and Brothers (80's) had 5 in a row, UQ 4 in row in 50's and UQ (80's), the aforementioned Canberra and Brothers twice (50's & 70's) had three in a row.. and that's just the Hospital Cup (since 1946)!

That said, I am excited for Jeeps in a repeat, but get the data right. I know I'm proud of the efforts of Brothers forebears as I am sure others are of their clubs great results.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)

I understand now, thanks Reg. So your either a Journalist or a Politician or just want to make it sound more glorious then it is.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Quite enjoying the clashes between the Reds and Premier Rugby at the moment.

Last week it was premier trails and a skinny window till the Reds.

The boys have it right this weekend with prem trails and Club Championship and the Reds in Japan all at the same time! Well done guys. Video recorder will be running hot on Saturday. :)

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Quite enjoying the clashes between the Reds and Premier Rugby at the moment.

Last week it was premier trails and a skinny window till the Reds.

The boys have it right this weekend with prem trails and Club Championship and the Reds in Japan all at the same time! Well done guys. Video recorder will be running hot on Saturday. :)

Has the draw been published yet? Reds website still showing 2018

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congrats to GPS Aust Clubs Champions 2019.

Who was the last Brisbane Club to win it - I think Easts won 2009, Bros 2010, Qld Uni 2011

And I think Easts lost 2014, Uni 2015(?), Souths(2016), Bros(2017), Uni (2018)

I don't think a QPR club has won it since 2011.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah well done Jeeps. Congratulations well deserved! Certainly a game of 2 halves. At half time I was worried though, came back strongly in the second half, with a lot of quality possession. A chunk of that possession came through penalties and some poor discipline by SU.

Thought Jordie Lenac (? 9) had a really good game, the 10 (solid all night, good options and the man can kick a goal!) and so did King (8). Going to be hard to knock off if they can keep that pace up.

Last year I said Jeeps were the benchmark and this year I don't think it will be any different! My top 4/5

Jeeps
UQ
Easts
Brothers/Bond.

Anyone have the pregame UQ v Warringah score?

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
UQ struggled a little on Saturday, the Rats seemed a lot bigger and more physical. Only 3 or 4 players from last year looked to be playing with a lot of colts having a crack. Any other results from Saturday? How did the Compass Cup end up?

Reactions: vac

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
UQ struggled a little on Saturday, the Rats seemed a lot bigger and more physical. Only 3 or 4 players from last year looked to be playing with a lot of colts having a crack. Any other results from Saturday? How did the Compass Cup end up?

Yes I noticed the same thing when Brothers played North Sydney a few years ago. They were more physical, fitter, bigger and seemed to have some very good combinations. Brothers at the same time had some retirements, injuries and were completed outclassed in the affair.

So that just shows how good Jeeps were on Saturday; because they looked as though the same thing was going to happen to them in the first half. But they turned it around with solid basic skills and determination.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fixture_List.jpg

Peter Piper

Frank Row (1)
I watch Brothers Sunnybank on the weekend. Not great viewing because of a number of factors. The weather and they played on Field 3 which doesn't seem to be as wide as the normal size field. The Bank were huge in the 3 grades Colts1 Reggies and Prems.
Brothers ran out winners in all 3 however they didn't look as sharp as all the hype to date. I do understand that the conditions were not great and that they would have suited The bank more so than Brothers. I must say in the Reggies I was very impressed with their young halfs combination of Tarabay and Lennon. Being first year in grade they will only get better. Lennon was a real standout. I'm somewhat dumb founded when he not in the Under 20's train on squad.

Looking forward to watching to the season ahead.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great to see the season draw revert to normal when the order is the same in both halves of the season.

I think 2018 was a real scramble in the 2nd half of the season.

Jerseyslinger

Frank Row (1)
Yeah well done Jeeps. Congratulations well deserved! Certainly a game of 2 halves. At half time I was worried though, came back strongly in the second half, with a lot of quality possession. A chunk of that possession came through penalties and some poor discipline by SU.

Thought Jordie Lenac (? 9) had a really good game, the 10 (solid all night, good options and the man can kick a goal!) and so did King (8). Going to be hard to knock off if they can keep that pace up.

Last year I said Jeeps were the benchmark and this year I don't think it will be any different! My top 4/5

Jeeps
UQ
Easts
Brothers/Bond.

Anyone have the pregame UQ v Warringah score?
I watched the game on Fox and the the 9/10 combination was outstanding. In that 2nd half they controlled the tempo of the game and brought it home for GPS.The kicking game of the 9 in particular in general play.
What a great pairing for their 2019 campaign.
GPS will be right in there to the end this year and will be a contender for the Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.