• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I went out to Shaw Rd today expecting GPS to demolish North’s however saw exactly the opposite. North’s with a no name team went toe to toe with GPS. The only part of the game that GPS out shone North’s was the scrum, every where else North’s either equalled or out played GPS. GPS need to be careful they don’t become a one trick pony with total reliance on their scrum. Norths still had an opportunity to win it at the death however couldn’t quite do it. Full marks to Norths coaching crew for keeping the squad up as it could of have been ugly the last few weeks however they could easily be undefeated. Great competition seeing last give it to one of the favourites.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I went out to Shaw Rd today expecting GPS to demolish North’s however saw exactly the opposite. North’s with a no name team went toe to toe with GPS. The only part of the game that GPS out shone North’s was the scrum, every where else North’s either equalled or out played GPS. GPS need to be careful they don’t become a one trick pony with total reliance on their scrum. Norths still had an opportunity to win it at the death however couldn’t quite do it. Full marks to Norths coaching crew for keeping the squad up as it could of have been ugly the last few weeks however they could easily be undefeated. Great competition seeing last give it to one of the favourites.

Did Matt Mcgahan play for Norths today?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What's ahead in the final 3 rounds?

After round 15 it looks like this:

Club: P; W; Pts; Rnd 16; 17; 18
Bros(Br): 13; 12; 53; U; G; E;
GPS(G): 13; 10; 45; Sn; Br; U;
Uni(U): 14; 8; 35; Br; Bye; G;
Easts(E): 13; 7; 31; N; Sn; Br;
Souths(S): 14; 7; 30; Bye; W; N;
Bond(Bon): 13; 6; 29; W; N; Sn
Wests (W): 14; 5; 29; Bon; S; Bye;

I think the final four will be Bros, GPS, Bond (41) & Easts(39)

Meaning that 9 wins & 39 point will be the cut unless Uni do the unthinkable and beat both Brothers & GPS - but if recent political history tells us anything miracles do happen!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping table update, sorry for not doing it last week.

In Round 14 only Hound managed 4/4, in Round 15 five of us managed it.

Beer Baron 42
Rugby Follower 42
Nomad 41
Rugby Reg 41
Jets 40
Happyman 38
Sage Too 38
Pick n drive 37
RAF 37
Dark Shark 36
nmpc 36
Getwithme 35
GirtbySea 35
Hound 35
Keeno 35
Robbitybob 35
Southernx 35
Cam Goddard 34
DB 33
Paty305 30
Beerad 26
Hennaz 24
jimmy.crouch 22
new recruit_ brisbane 17

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Tipping table update, sorry for not doing it last week.

Thanks for doing this Jets, you're doing a great job. I'm surprised that Bond smashed Souths like that - ruined my tipping! The competition is getting interesting - GPS look a bit vulnerable and other teams are circling but Brothers will be very difficult to beat based on season form.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree, the final 3 rounds will be very interesting .

Big day at St.Lucia this Saturday with games in 1st grade and Colts 1 having major implications on the make up of the finals.

UQ need to win at least one (maybe even both) of their last games against Brothers and GPS to make the top 4 in Prem grade.

The battle in Colts 1 decides who finishes top 2.

Jason Crosell

Bob McCowan (2)
What a treacherous weekend for rugby! I have to be honest, made myself comfy at home in the dry and watched a few games from home. Watching all four games, here are some of my observations.

1. UQ don't look like winning another game with Brother, bye & GPS remaining. Really lacking fire power in key positions and don't think they can match it with the like of GPS & Brothers. This leaves a spot in the top 4 available.
2. Bond look really dangerous and I think they will take a place in the top 4. I can see them beating all three of their remaining opponents West's, Norths & Bank
3. East's didn't look great on the weekend and will need to make sure they clean up their act to make the top 4. North's could defiantly cause an upset this weekend but I recon if they get across the line they will make the four with Bond. I think the East's scrum will be the difference here, van nek will cause headaches me thinks.
4. My beloved Bulldogs, you are killing me! Another year gone begging I think. A real shame with some of the fire power they have and the three close losses in just as many weeks simply have been soul destroying. One would hope this for the best and we can see them making finals soon. Maybe just maybe a miracle at the end of this year can save them but it is looking unlikely.
5. What is going on with the refereeing, there seems to be a lack of consistency of guys refereeing at premier grade level. Over the past few weeks I have seen blokes I have never seen before in my life doing premier games. The guy at Norths looked so out of place and then Way, a excellent 7's ref who hasn't done many games this year, struggled with 15 a side rugby badly. Surely coming into finals we can get some consistency, give the guys who have been doing well the important games for the sake of the comp please.

S

Sgt Slaughter

^^ I wouldn’t put the que in the rack to early for those teams yet to play Brothers/GPS - if GPS get the win this weekend it wouldn’t surprise me if both Brothers/GPS start prehabbing for finals, as I’m sure there are a lot of key players playing with niggles at the moment.

Unfortunately or fortunately depends how you look at it, everyone else has to go all in every game - makes for good watching.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
What a treacherous weekend for rugby! I have to be honest, made myself comfy at home in the dry and watched a few games from home. Watching all four games, here are some of my observations.

1. UQ don't look like winning another game with Brother, bye & GPS remaining. Really lacking fire power in key positions and don't think they can match it with the like of GPS & Brothers. This leaves a spot in the top 4 available.
2. Bond look really dangerous and I think they will take a place in the top 4. I can see them beating all three of their remaining opponents West's, Norths & Bank
3. East's didn't look great on the weekend and will need to make sure they clean up their act to make the top 4. North's could defiantly cause an upset this weekend but I recon if they get across the line they will make the four with Bond. I think the East's scrum will be the difference here, van nek will cause headaches me thinks.
4. My beloved Bulldogs, you are killing me! Another year gone begging I think. A real shame with some of the fire power they have and the three close losses in just as many weeks simply have been soul destroying. One would hope this for the best and we can see them making finals soon. Maybe just maybe a miracle at the end of this year can save them but it is looking unlikely.
5. What is going on with the refereeing, there seems to be a lack of consistency of guys refereeing at premier grade level. Over the past few weeks I have seen blokes I have never seen before in my life doing premier games. The guy at Norths looked so out of place and then Way, a excellent 7's ref who hasn't done many games this year, struggled with 15 a side rugby badly. Surely coming into finals we can get some consistency, give the guys who have been doing well the important games for the sake of the comp please.
Gee not sure what game you were watching but considering the conditions I say Easts looked pretty good. It was a pure slog fest and both teams should be commended for playing positive rugby. The final rounds will be awesome with finals up for grabs.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

We are out of it Jason. Mathematically there maybe a chance still, realistically it won’t happen..

I think the dogs biggest problem this year has been too much youth! It’s great for the future. It’s not great for the here & now.

Is there any regulars in that team over the age of 30? Idk exactly but that 2006 premiership bulldogs team had a great mix of youngsters & veterans. When the dogs were 5m out in the 75th minute of the game on weekend I was just thinking to myself how much I wish Cassidy Holland or Nick Gregorski was out there to fire up a young team. There’s absolutely no big game talkers in the west premiers who can install sense of motivation & belief.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Uni makes the Top 4. The Queensland Reds have served their mandatory post super rugby break.

The cavalry is coming to save the day. Their biggest match will be defeating Brothers but I think UQ is good enough to take care of GPS (who haven’t looked like world beaters in recent weeks)

J

JeepsTragic

I think Uni makes the Top 4. The Queensland Reds have served their mandatory post super rugby break.

The cavalry is coming to save the day. Their biggest match will be defeating Brothers but I think UQ is good enough to take care of GPS (who haven’t looked like world beaters in recent weeks)

GPS have not played well for a number of weeks. Against Brothers at home, they looked like nobody could touch them, but in recent weeks their form has dropped and they have only just got home on a few occasions. I am sure that they are looking forward to having Hegerty in a backline that is misfiring. Alfonz has been missing for the last couple of weeks, Albert has sadly gone back to NZ and Davis did not play against Norths. So if they can get the Fonz, Davis and Hegerty into the backline it will hopefully give them a bit of spark.

The forwards have seemed a bit disjointed as well. The conditions at Norths were made for Mitch King but I think he was on an enforced holiday after a head knock against Souths and the once all powerful scrum has been under a bit of pressure. Maybe starting the Smiths and having Jethro and Fred coming off the bench will restore the scrum dominance.

If GPS can regain the form they showed against Brothers then there is no reason why they can't win back to back but if they continue playing the same footy as the last 5 rounds then they will have trouble even making the GF.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
God help you if you think "the Fonz" will trigger the backline revival at GPS.

Go forward yes but offers very little as a second receiver, which is something Hegerty will if he plays #15.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hello everyone,
I am not in your tipping competition, However my outrageous tips for this weekend, leave until after Saturday to Judge, but watch this space. There are more turns to come this final 3 weeks, however I reckon this weekend is going to throw everything out and upsets everywhere as pressure, injuries and the finals race take their tolls. This weekend look for the C word at every ground, Choking

1. Wests to beat bond by 15 points (they need it, but not willing to be brave enough to give them the bonus point)
2. Brothers to put 40 points on Uq
3. Souths to finally win a game and beat the bye
4. Sunnybank to finally win, beating GPS in close game, they have the backs
5. Norths to upset Easts

Thoughts ??????????????????? anyone game enough to agree

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Thanks Frotter

I will take that weekend as it really helps Wests chances if Easts & UQ drop their matches.

I think brothers is due for a loss... but if they put 40 on the students then I’ll be doing cartwheels.

J

JeepsTragic

Hello everyone,

I am not in your tipping competition, However my outrageous tips for this weekend, leave until after Saturday to Judge, but watch this space. There are more turns to come this final 3 weeks, however I reckon this weekend is going to throw everything out and upsets everywhere as pressure, injuries and the finals race take their tolls. This weekend look for the C word at every ground, Choking

1. Wests to beat bond by 15 points (they need it, but not willing to be brave enough to give them the bonus point)

2. Brothers to put 40 points on Uq

3. Souths to finally win a game and beat the bye

4. Sunnybank to finally win, beating GPS in close game, they have the backs

5. Norths to upset Easts

Thoughts ??????????????????? anyone game enough to agree

I think the opposite will happen. Well almost,

1. Bond to get up over the Bulldogs. Like last year Bond are finding form late in the season but probably too late.
2. This is the toughest match of the round. If Uni get all their reds and u21 players back then they will push Brothers hard. Whoever wins, it will be a tight contest. Brothers by less than 10.
3. Given.
4. GPS will steamroll the Dragons. I'm tipping GPS to return to some form at Fortress Yoku Road. They have had their C moments over the last couple of weeks and it will be all business from here to the finals.
5. Norths provided some good competition last week but Tigers have too much to play for.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I think the opposite will happen. Well almost,

1. Bond to get up over the Bulldogs. Like last year Bond are finding form late in the season but probably too late.
2. This is the toughest match of the round. If Uni get all their reds and u21 players back then they will push Brothers hard. Whoever wins, it will be a tight contest. Brothers by less than 10.
3. Given.
4. GPS will steamroll the Dragons. I'm tipping GPS to return to some form at Fortress Yoku Road. They have had their C moments over the last couple of weeks and it will be all business from here to the finals.
5. Norths provided some good competition last week but Tigers have too much to play for.

Bond have been in form of late so I agree that they look good to win.
UQ - if all their predicted rep players do return then that makes them difficult, although Brothers are probably getting a few U20s back as well aren't they?
If Sunnybank were to beat GPS that would be an upset, but given who GPS have coming back they should be okay, although will Isaac Lucas play for SB? Could make it interesting.
Easts v Norths - I don't think we're getting anyone back at Easts, we got Van Nek back from the 20s. Norths might get DP? Really hope that Norths don't win, Easts need to keep winning to make the playoffs.
Should make for an interesting weekend.

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
It looks like U20’s are back this week which is particularly good for the Filth.

Bond to get up with their pack getting one over the Wests pack. If Bond hadn’t lost Kiernan & Dowd for the season I’d say Bond by 20.I didn’t watch their game against Souths but there’s some big wraps on their new Ulster U20’s 2nd rower.

UQ will be without Korczyk but Hockings & Scott Young are likely to start. I’m predicting UQ get up here.They’ve found a way to winning the tough games. The Backrow battle is going to be epic. McReight,Wood & Wilson vs Scott Young, Morrey & Wallis. Throw GPS into the mix & you’ve got the best backrows slugging it out.Uni lost the kicking battle badly last time but with Horan & Campbell playing on Saturday this time will be different.

I don’t understand the tinkering of the team each week at GPS. Maybe it’s injury related but it seems disruptive & part of the reason GPS have been inconsistent. Regardless,I can’t see Sunnybank winning this one.

Norths are the big improvers & have deserved a few more wins. I’m looking forward to seeing Ozanne vs Zander at scrum time. I reckon the young buck will get up here. I’m tipping this as the 2nd upset of the round after Uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.