• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Geez Wests must really be feeling the pinch this year. They have now lost Jerry Lynch (NZ), Liam Dillon (Bond), Isaac Henry (Brumbies), Efi Ma'afu (Sunwolves) and more than likely Hunter Paisami in the reds 23. Do they have the depth or new recruits to replace these key players? Could be a tough year with a new coach at the helm too.

By what Reg is saying as well sounds like Souths will have some headaches around their squad.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
^ Uni had the same issue last year. They just managed to sneak into the finals and then the big guns took them to another level.

Brothers will be the same this year but then it looks like their depth is freaking unreal so they should be fine. GPS is in a good spot if we've managed to keep the group from last year. We may lose Gicquel if the Rebels are smart and we may not see a lot of Kibble or Tualima but not in the same boat as Brothers or Uni who have players locked in the 23 every week.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone know which QPR players were lost to Major League Rugby in the USA this offseason?

Harry Higgins at bulldogs has left for Atlanta.

It seems like last offseason a bunch of players from QPR left but this offseason MLR has focused more on professional players with international caps.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Mate welcome to gods country.
You have a choice of three Southside clubs.
Easts are closest and are a pretty decent bunch of blokes.
Souths are a bit further away and if you are a rebels supporter you might like the Quade connection and are a pretty welcoming place.
Sunnybank are next and are probably Have the best facilities personally I find it a bit soulless.

overall we have a pretty good community who all support the code it is just a matter of the colours.

This is what a quick location search seemed to show me. I was favouring GPS or Brothers based on people I know from those clubs... how's the catering at the above joints?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Geez Wests must really be feeling the pinch this year. They have now lost Jerry Lynch (NZ), Liam Dillon (Bond), Isaac Henry (Brumbies), Efi Ma'afu (Sunwolves) and more than likely Hunter Paisami in the reds 23. Do they have the depth or new recruits to replace these key players? Could be a tough year with a new coach at the helm too.

I guess that means instead of playing 3 flyhalf's in their backline they'll settle for 2

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
By what Reg is saying as well sounds like Souths will have some headaches around their squad.

A couple Souths supporters on here could shed some more light, but I feel they are going all-in on the Dammers plan. He brought a good crop of Colts through and I believe most of them have stuck around with his promotion to Prems. I wouldn't expect them to make an immediate impact, especially with current player losses, but if Dammers can keep them together and bring in a few new heads here and there, it will be a team to watch out for over the coming years.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
This is what a quick location search seemed to show me. I was favouring GPS or Brothers based on people I know from those clubs. how's the catering at the above joints?

Talking purely catering - GPS have a direct pipeline into one of Brisbane's best butchers - Meat at Billys, they provide most of the bbq offerings, you can't go wrong.

FYI parking sucks at both venues.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
This is what a quick location search seemed to show me. I was favouring GPS or Brothers based on people I know from those clubs. how's the catering at the above joints?

Mate both clubs are on the Northside and that is a thing up here. I don’t know why.
GPS are geographically furthest away and Brothers charge an entry fee to what is the worst venue to watch a game at. That and food is not fit to feed my dog.
they are the most successful on field club though.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think living at Tingalpa you have to make the short trip to Easts - always a nice afternoon or you could pop onto the Gateway/M1 and drive 45 minutes down to Bond.

Fried_Chicken_and_Beer

Stan Wickham (3)
The 'bank is the fucking pits. Only joint where I've had a game called off because of sideline ferals invading the pitch to fight us literally 5 mins into the game.

While that would undoubtedly be a horrible experience to go through, and something no player or supporter should ever have to endure, to be judging a whole organisation because of one incident could be viewed as being somewhat unfair.
Sunnybank isn't one of the traditional clubs in rugby in Brisbane, but what they have been able to achieve on and of the field, in relatively a short space of time is nothing short of successful.
Just think of the players that have come through there: David Giffin, Tim Sampson, Digby Ioane, Adam Wallace Harrison, Daniel Leo, Greg Holmes, Ole Avei to name a few, there's definitely something down there that would suggest that it's anything but the pits. (Side note: that Prems side of the early 2000s was something special and was definitely worth going to watch. Damon Emtage had them playing a great brand of rugby)
This is isn't to take away from what you've experienced but more so to provide context to the uninitiated that not all is doom and gloom down at The Bank. Still rubbish what happened to you though

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sunnybank set the example in so many ways in terms of rugby development. Of course they have some hefty funding to do so. But they've been at the forefront at both 7s and Women's Rugby and match officials.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
While that would undoubtedly be a horrible experience to go through, and something no player or supporter should ever have to endure, to be judging a whole organisation because of one incident could be viewed as being somewhat unfair.

Sunnybank isn't one of the traditional clubs in rugby in Brisbane, but what they have been able to achieve on and of the field, in relatively a short space of time is nothing short of successful.

Just think of the players that have come through there: David Giffin, Tim Sampson, Digby Ioane, Adam Wallace Harrison, Daniel Leo, Greg Holmes, Ole Avei to name a few, there's definitely something down there that would suggest that it's anything but the pits. (Side note: that Prems side of the early 2000s was something special and was definitely worth going to watch. Damon Emtage had them playing a great brand of rugby)

This is isn't to take away from what you've experienced but more so to provide context to the uninitiated that not all is doom and gloom down at The Bank. Still rubbish what happened to you though

Yes perhaps I was a little too over the top. But having said that, Sunnybank were always the dirtiest club I certainly played against, across a couple of different (admittedly lower!) grades so I only have that as my experience with which to judge.

Things have probably changed for the better since then, if so I can only apologise and retract & say go the Dragons!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Geographically speaking Easts are your team.
Magpies next closest and the perennial battlers. ;)
Brothers,. Sunnybank and Uni & Jeeps the silver tails.
:D
In my experience, all clubs have quality supporters.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Nah you're definitely in East Tigers country, quality club, one of the biggest, if not the biggest junior base in Queensland I have heard?

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)

Agreed that a few bad apples should not spoil the crop but unfortunately this sort of incident is not isolated at The Bank. There are some serious culture and behavioural issues that have to be addressed out there. No one likes playing there because of the behaviours of some spectators, parents and players in both grades, colts and juniors.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Agreed that a few bad apples should not spoil the crop but unfortunately this sort of incident is not isolated at The Bank. There are some serious culture and behavioural issues that have to be addressed out there. No one likes playing there because of the behaviours of some spectators, parents and players in both grades, colts and juniors.

Many people in clubland like to blame it on the islander influence but I don't think that''s the case. I don't know if it seems quite isolated to the Bank because they've been very successful and and large club in the last couple of decades but I have not had any of the poor experiences at any other working class club.

Some of the best experiences of rugby I've had, both junior and senior, have been at clubs like Goodna, Redcliffe, Caboolture, etc. Always extremely welcoming and hospitable, with plenty of opposing families sticking around afterwards. Goodna even put on a free bbq done by their senior teams when there was only one junior game in the morning. Felt like a proper community club. Whereas I don't get that feeling whenever I'm at Sunnybank, it feels almost soulless, where it is a collection of teams just wearing the same colours, almost like a corporate entity rather than a club. I think that could be the problem rather than any cultural influence.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Many people in clubland like to blame it on the islander influence but I don't think that''s the case. I don't know if it seems quite isolated to the Bank because they've been very successful and and large club in the last couple of decades but I have not had any of the poor experiences at any other working class club.

Some of the best experiences of rugby I've had, both junior and senior, have been at clubs like Goodna, Redcliffe, Caboolture, etc. Always extremely welcoming and hospitable, with plenty of opposing families sticking around afterwards. Goodna even put on a free bbq done by their senior teams when there was only one junior game in the morning. Felt like a proper community club. Whereas I don't get that feeling whenever I'm at Sunnybank, it feels almost soulless, where it is a collection of teams just wearing the same colours, almost like a corporate entity rather than a club. I think that could be the problem rather than any cultural influence.

You obviously haven't had to play a Suburban Game against Goodna or Redcliffe.... give me Sunnybank any day of the week...