• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
By my calculations all down to Wests are still a chance to play finals footy.

The Bond game against GPS & Uni and Bros v Easts are the big ones.

I think if Uni and Easts can secure one more win each then they'll pretty much finish 1 & 2 unless Bond win their last 3 and with Rounds 10 & 11 at the Canal who knows, leaving the rest to fight it out for 3 & 4. GPS are going to have to win their last 2 to be assured and Bros/Wests their last 3. You wouldn't want to drop one at this late stage of the season.

Sunnybank, could also throw a cat amongst the pidgeons if they were to knock off Bond (Rnd 9) or Brothers (Rnd 10).

After round 8 and Rounds 9-11
Uni 27 Bye; Wests(H); Bond(A)
Easts 25 Wests(H); Bye; Bros(A)
Bond 21 Snbk(A); GPS(H); UNI(H)
GPS 19 Sth(A), Bond(A); Bye
Bros 17 Nth(A); Snbk (A); Easts(H)
Wests 13 Easts(A); Uni(A); Sth(H)
Snbk 8 Bond(H); Bros(H); Nth(A)
Norths 8 Bros(H); Sth(A); Snbk(H)
Souths 2 GPS(H); Nth(H); Wests(A)

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Every club has at least one game remaining where the results will impact the finals composition.

The only dead rubbers will be Norths v Souths in round 10 where both sides will be desperate to secure a win AND Snbk v Nths in Rnd 11.

I suspect that Sth v Wests in Rnd 11 might also be a dead rubber.

So of the remaining 24 games in the H&A season 21 will have a direct bearing on the top 4.

And I think the finals across the 4 teams will be closer this year than in the past few where some sides have left the finals after a hefty defeat or 2.

QPR always delivers.

Reactions: dru

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
They are allowed to play the last regular season game and finals.
Was told out at St Lucia on Saturday that the Reds squad players aren’t allowed back to club footy until they’ve had 14 days “quarantine” from their last interstate exposure being the Super AU final in Canberra.

The UQ v Wests game is down to be played on Sunday the 4th of Oct rather than Saturday. This could see Non-Wallaby selected Reds players having a run .

For UQ it would be Sam Wallis , ASY (Angus Scott-Young) , Jock Campbell and Josh Nasser.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Heard on the weekend the Smith twins won't be coming down to GPS for finals - apparently both have signed overseas for next season and will be spending some time with family before leaving. Unsure if that's true as I heard it from a third party.

GPS really need to lift themselves these last few games to put themselves back in the mix as contenders to win the whole comp. They've had a fairly unchanged sided barring one or two players for majority of the season so consistency shouldn't be an issue. They seem to have hit a wall in terms of form.

J

JeepsTragic

Wests will be a force to be reckoned with when Moses and Hunter return. They had a good win over a disappointing GPS. Its a shame the season is so short as it doesn't allow for many mistakes.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Hunter will be in NZ with the Wallabies. He nor Petaia or Daugunu will play for Wests this year.
Yep ,

Also means no Tate for UQ , Wright for Easts and Thor, JOC (James O'Connor) , Wilson and McReight for Brothers.

Stewart available for Brothers and Blyth for Bond .

Also have the rest of the greater training squad available.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Every club has at least one game remaining where the results will impact the finals composition.

The only dead rubbers will be Norths v Souths in round 10 where both sides will be desperate to secure a win AND Snbk v Nths in Rnd 11.

I suspect that Sth v Wests in Rnd 11 might also be a dead rubber.

So of the remaining 24 games in the H&A season 21 will have a direct bearing on the top 4.

And I think the finals across the 4 teams will be closer this year than in the past few where some sides have left the finals after a hefty defeat or 2.

QPR always delivers.

Sorry only 12 games remaining in H&A - got my maths wrong!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep ,

Also means no Tate for UQ , Wright for Easts and Thor, JOC (James O'Connor) , Wilson and McReight for Brothers.

Stewart available for Brothers and Blyth for Bond .

Also have the rest of the greater training squad available.

Or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) for Souths, BPA for Sunnybank? and Nella for Brothers

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Heard on the weekend the Smith twins won't be coming down to GPS for finals - apparently both have signed overseas for next season and will be spending some time with family before leaving. Unsure if that's true as I heard it from a third party.

GPS really need to lift themselves these last few games to put themselves back in the mix as contenders to win the whole comp. They've had a fairly unchanged sided barring one or two players for majority of the season so consistency shouldn't be an issue. They seem to have hit a wall in terms of form.

One observation which may have cost the game and might speak directly to the form was

70 mins in, 5-10 metres from the bulldogs tryline GPS were Trailing by 3 points... GPS earns a penalty and instead of electing for their bread and butter game finisher they opt to kick for touch rather then take a scrum.

Now I don’t know if GPS trust their scrum this year or if they are showing more respect for the bulldogs set piece but they kicked for touch and ended up butchering the line out throw and dogs escaped a moment which GPS would of won in games past.

I could probably go into the YouTube archives of recent games where GPS has chosen a scrum and won a match they were trailing to bulldogs in the final minutes - so thanks to whoever was captain on Saturday saving me that heartache moment and not trusting the GPS scrum.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Players to come back, sorted by position on the ladder (let me know if I missed any). Lots of prop injuries to consider.

1st UQ
- Angus Scott-Young
- Jock Campbell
- Josh Nasser
- Scott Wallis

2nd Easts
- Jack Hardy
- Seru Uru

3rd Bond Uni
- Alex Mafi (if fit?)
- Zane Nonggorr
- Angus Blyth

4th GPS
- Bryce Hegarty
- Feao Fotuaika (if fit? - believe he isn't)
- Tuaina Tuialima
- Jack Straker (If fit?)
- Scott Malolou

5th Brothers
- Hamish Stewart
- Harry Hoopert
- Ryan Smith
- Josh Flook (if fit? - believe he isn't)

6th Wests
- Moses Sorovi

7th Sunnybank

8th Norths
- Dane Zander (if fit? - believe he isn't)

9th Souths
- Chris Feauai-Sautia (if fit?)
- Sean Farrell (if fit?)

Is the suggestion they are back for the last round? Which is:

Brothers v Easts
Bond v UQ
Wests v Souths
Norths v Sunnybank

GPS kicking themselves their reinforcements (and damn good ones) are back on a bye. They'll want that 4th spot tied up because Brothers get a nice boost there for their clash with Easts.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
One observation which may have cost the game and might speak directly to the form was

70 mins in, 5-10 metres from the bulldogs tryline GPS were Trailing by 3 points. GPS earns a penalty and instead of electing for their bread and butter game finisher they opt to kick for touch rather then take a scrum.

Now I don’t know if GPS trust their scrum this year or if they are showing more respect for the bulldogs set piece but they kicked for touch and ended up butchering the line out throw and dogs escaped a moment which GPS would of won in games past.

I could probably go into the YouTube archives of recent games where GPS has chosen a scrum and won a match they were trailing to bulldogs in the final minutes - so thanks to whoever was captain on Saturday saving me that heartache moment and not trusting the GPS scrum.

Even stranger when you note that the GPS lineout had been shambolic most of the match while the scrums had been good. GPS appear particularly vulnerable this year with Coach Pronsloo struggling for Hookers (Ngaumao, Simkin, Casey and Freney all out injured) and Tuquiri with a poor throw and struggling for fitness.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Can someone explain the bonus points system for this comp? I thought it was if you lose by 7 or score 3 or more tries but the numbers on the ladders aren’t adding up

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Sorovi could make a dramatic difference for Wests. The 9 has been solid but bringing in Sorovi could elevate them

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can someone explain the bonus points system for this comp? I thought it was if you lose by 7 or score 3 or more tries but the numbers on the ladders aren’t adding up

It's changed this year.

Points system:
Points for a win – four (4);
Points for a draw – two (2);
Points for loss by seven points or less – One (1); and
Points for scoring four (4) tries – One (1)

Doughty Shield has also changed. It's now: 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, women, colts 1, colts 2, colts 3.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The difference between first and second spots on the ladder is the nature of each team’s one loss.

Both teams have five bonus point wins .

UQ picked up two bonus points ( 4 tries and loss by 7 or less) when they went down to Easts.

Easts didn’t get any bonus points in their loss to Bond.