• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The interesting thing this year is that with Colts going to twenties. Clubs will need to align the senior and colts programs.

Some school superstars will find it hard playing against boys who are older and with a year or two of senior footy under their belts. Many who go to a strong program may actually benitift playing colts 2.

Some boys who are eligible for 20's will get nothing from playing another year at Colts. Some will benefit from playing Prems or Reggies more than continuing in Colts. Managing expectations will be harder ever.

This will make the year harder than ever. particularly if a club with good colts realises it is out of the Prems comp. Tipping could be a nightmare.

PS Jets I hope you are going to run it again this year.
Yep, you would think the best of this year in Colts would most likely being having a run in senior footy.

Think it’s a good change , will challenge the lads straight out of school, but will also allow a little extra time for some.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be interesting to see how Dammers' Magpies go in 2020.

He had good success with Sydney Uni not so much with GPS. His 2019 Souths colts were a very good side - dominated the competition.

He's been in the coaching game a long time including Nudgee & Japan.

I think maybe that they'll blood a lot of the 2019 colts in 2020 get game time in them and set up for success in 2021-25.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
i think Sunnybank and Bond have had a pretty mixed bag over the last two seasons.

Snbk massive changes of coaches, administration and playing personnel.

Bond went really close to making 4 in 2018 and I think they went back marginally in 2019 - does just missing the 4 every year get to you eventually? Changes to coaching set-up also I think.

I 'll leave them out at this stage.

Question for Brothers & Uni is how they handle their Reds commitments- that may bring them both back to the field - price you pay for having young talent.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Question for Brothers & Uni is how they handle their Reds commitments- that may bring them both back to the field - price you pay for having young talent.

What reds commitments do Brothers have? Hoopert/Wilson/McReight/Tongan Thor.

Thing with brothers is their cattle in Wilson/McReight we’re not available for big portion of last season during u20s commitments & they still crushed it.

Always felt brothers can overcome the loss of reds players because they have amazing depth in prem colts / reserve grade... same thing can’t be said about UQ (feel they are down a ladder rung compare to Filth in depth)

Anyways I’m gonna stop the Harry Wilson hype for a moment and say he probably ends up playing a big majority of club rugby. I know his a star of tomorrow I just don’t think he is a star of today (like the way I view McReight) Wilson is going to have his work cut out for him making his way into a reds XV with all that other quality backrower talent ahead of him.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting Round 1 QPR20

Souths & Easts will be glad to get their trips to Bond & Hugh Courtney out of the way early in the season.

Uni v GPS I suspect will tell us more about GPS than Uni. Has GPS premiership window shut I suspect it may have.

Wests v Snbk sees the return of Evan Willis to Scifleet. It will be a good indication of whether both sides can improve on their 2019 efforts. Snbk can be slow starters so hopefully it's a good time for the Bulldogs to take them on and start the season with a win.

Brothers will be itching for round 2 to roll around - I think round 1 is the worst time to receive any benefit from a bye at season's end.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm predicting that Wests, Easts & Snbk will improve in QPR20. Consistentcy is the key for these clubs and that probably relates to depth & injury toll.

Brothers, Bond & GPS to slide down a little.

Uni will clearly depend on how close they can be before the Super troops come back and appreciating that some of the troops that got them their in 2019 might well be wearing Wallaby jerseys in 2020.

Norths are like a box of chocolates.

And Souths - they will be better in 2021 than 2020.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting Round 1 QPR20

Souths & Easts will be glad to get their trips to Bond & Hugh Courtney out of the way early in the season.

Uni v GPS I suspect will tell us more about GPS than Uni. Has GPS premiership window shut I suspect it may have.

Wests v Snbk sees the return of Evan Willis to Scifleet. It will be a good indication of whether both sides can improve on their 2019 efforts. Snbk can be slow starters so hopefully it's a good time for the Bulldogs to take them on and start the season with a win.

Brothers will be itching for round 2 to roll around - I think round 1 is the worst time to receive any benefit from a bye at season's end.
Evan Willis is not part of Sunnybank Coaching in 2020