• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
After watching the Reds v Rebels trial games yesterday was wondering what would potentially happen with players like Pat Morrey from the Rebels?

If he doesn’t make the final squad , does he stay down in Melbourne and train , or does he get sent back to play QPR?

Is there sufficient quality in the Melbourne club comp for the Rebels fringe players?
Pat Morrey is heading back to QLD if he doesn’t pick up a full time contract. Rebels A have games up until 8th March & then players will play club footy unless required. I can’t speak about other players but Uni have already registered Morrey.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Staged project, so no need to move games /training. Top oval has already been levelled and relaid. Still a small drop away towards AB field but not as bad as previous. Bottom oval to be done end of this year. New lights on both. Terracing for bottom oval happening now (I think from driving past). New clubhouse to be built between the ovals and then the old one gets the bulldozer.
There were discussions to use Nudgee school ovals if required. Is this still an option?

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
There were discussions to use Nudgee school ovals if required. Is this still an option?

I understand a few schools were asked (inc Nudgee) and were potentially accommodating. QRU/Ballymore were also approached but was cost prohibitive, particularly around catering 'lock 'ins'....a season of Newstead could have broken me.

The staged model was decided as the best approach. The full development finance is still not a done deal but the field upgrades and learn to swim school at back of bottom oval (pending DA) are happening.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Imagine the recruiting tool having Brothers play at Nudgee and all those young school boys seeing the butcher stripes dominate on Jack Ross oval.

Not that brothers needs to recruit anymore nudgee players... but it would of been cool to potentially see Jack Ross host a QPR & GPS school boy teams that went undefeated at home

Btw does anyone know how GPS rugby became known as GPS? Does it have anything to do with the schoolboy rugby comp?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I understand a few schools were asked (inc Nudgee) and were potentially accommodating. QRU/Ballymore were also approached but was cost prohibitive, particularly around catering 'lock 'ins'..a season of Newstead could have broken me.

The staged model was decided as the best approach. The full development finance is still not a done deal but the field upgrades and learn to swim school at back of bottom oval (pending DA) are happening.

You seem very well informed on this, a couple of questions that interest me:

- In the visuals there doesn't seem to be space for private retailers to setup, which I understand is a model which Wests used to offset some costs, are Brothers not doing this?

- A big point is being made of the all inclusive change rooms (men, women and athletes with disabilities, 6 of them). I'm probably a bit naive on this, but what features exactly would they include that are different to a regular modern change room? Not trying to be negative, but aside from being on the ground floor with closed in toilets, which most change rooms are, what features do they have to assist with disabled athletes or other features that constitute them being worth mentioning as a key feature?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Imagine the recruiting tool having Brothers play at Nudgee and all those young school boys seeing the butcher stripes dominate on Jack Ross oval.

Not that brothers needs to recruit anymore nudgee players. but it would of been cool to potentially see Jack Ross host a QPR & GPS school boy teams that went undefeated at home

Btw does anyone know how GPS rugby became known as GPS? Does it have anything to do with the schoolboy rugby comp?

Started as Past Grammar & opened up to all old boys from the GPS schools. Hence GPS Old Boys Rugby Club, which is what I will forever call it despite the name change due to the merger with the junior club.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Unfortunately they usually end up in the Shute Shield as those clubs spring for the airfare and accommodation.
Melb comp from what I have heard is solid Reggie’s level to third grade.

After watching the Reds v Rebels trial games yesterday was wondering what would potentially happen with players like Pat Morrey from the Rebels?

If he doesn’t make the final squad , does he stay down in Melbourne and train , or does he get sent back to play QPR?

Is there sufficient quality in the Melbourne club comp for the Rebels fringe players?

The comp down here was growing and getting better, then the last couple of years the Rebels players have been going up to SS to play and we've dropped down again. The good sides would do well to compete in SS 2nd grade, but outside of the top 3-4 clubs they would get beaten easily.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Could of been posted in reds thread but was more then likely heading for a season of QPR

Efi Maafu has signed with the sunwolves and will not be playing for wests this year.

Great young talent who looked like he was heading for bigger and better things in Qld rugby last year until an unfortunate knee injury... didn’t really get to play NRC either.

Good luck in Japan Efi.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I see Isaac Henry on the Brumbies team list for this weekend. A big loss for QLD rugby. With Maafu, Gordon, Palsami and Henry on the Super Rugby path that’s a big hit for Wests.

Sheesh did not know about Henry.

Good for him though. QPR is the gateway to play rugby across the world.

Think we will still see plenty of Gordon/Pasami this year though.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That’s my logic Finsbury Girl.

All about the opportunity and considering the QPR boys get didlysquat it’s good to see someone rewarded with a contract.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just goes to show you are never going to have the supremely talented at your club for long so you need to make the most of it when they're on your books.

It's not as though you can build a side around them because the next you know they've moved on.

But we want these players to move onto bigger and better things for their sake and the sake of Australian Rugby.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Just on this topic where is Sam Greene playing these days?

Saw Sam Greene listed in a team list for one of the Japanese Top League teams and also hearing rumours out of the Gold Coast that Liam Dillon has been training with Bond University this week.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Saw Sam Greene listed in a team list for one of the Japanese Top League teams and also hearing rumours out of the Gold Coast that Liam Dillon has been training with Bond University this week.

Does Nucifora play @ 10 & Dillon @ 9?

I wouldn't think Dillon would want to play Reggies for Bond.

What if any affect in his decision to play for Bond - was his involvement for the Bond Uni Qld Country NRC side play in his decision?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Does Nucifora play @ 10 & Dillon @ 9?

I wouldn't think Dillon would want to play Reggies for Bond.

What if any affect in his decision to play for Bond - was his involvement for the Bond Uni Qld Country NRC side play in his decision?

I suspect LD would still be at the kennel had he not lived on the coast. His been making the commute 3 times a week to don the green and gold... I blame Trump for rising oil prices & that GC to Sylvan road trip not being cheap on the hippocket

Nucifora would be playing Reggies. LD by far the better talent.

Well actually LD could play 10. It will be the last memory us bulldogs will have had of him when he led a clinic at Souths in last round of season last year. (Gordon was injured) Liam looked really good at 10 even though I imagine it’s not his preferred position.