• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Based on what?
Uni has won more 1st Grade Premierships, Colts Premierships & more club championships both in the past decade & the century before it.

You could also consider representatives players. Brothers has more representative players than any other Queensland club - 76 Australian players (75 Wallabies, 1 Kangaroo) and 230 Queensland players. Brothers has also had the most players selected to play for Australia (eight in 1914 and 1919, and seven in 1968) and Queensland (17 out of 22 players in 1974).

With all due respect, I would disagree with the argument that UQ were stronger in the 'century before it'. From a first grade point of view, both clubs were relatively tied and had their respective periods of success. UQ were dominant in the 1950s and '60s - winning eleven premierships. Brothers came to the fore in the 1970s and '80s winning eleven premierships from 14 grand finals. Souths surfaced in the 1990s being the only club in Australian history to win a grand slam - all four grade premierships - in 1992. They also won five straight premierships in first grade and reserve grade (1991-95).

There's no denying Brothers fell away as a club, which significantly halted progression in the history books (not appearing in any grand finals from 1991-2005). In the 1990s, the primary focus for Brothers members was keeping the club alive. The club was weeks away from collapsing, but old boys rallied together, and to their credit this outcome was avoided. Other grassroots clubs across other codes - such as Valley Diehards, Wests and Brothers RL - were also in the precarious state of trying to keep their licence clubs afloat in conjunction with continuing the football side of things. Changes to drink driving and licencing laws make it very difficult for sporting clubs to compete with other vendors.

It has obviously taken years for Brothers to become competitive again with other clubs, an example being 22 years since last Club Championships (1996-2018), 22 years between Hospital Cup drinks (1987-2009) and 14 years between Colts 1 premierships (2004-2018). Success seems to be cyclical for all clubs - highs and lows.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion, I won't bore you any further, but Brisbane clubs (not just Sydney ones) have impressive histories and this reaffirms why club rugby is crucial to the prosperity of our great game.

DylanWalk

Frank Row (1)
Whiteside and Fox definitely to see a lot of premier grade, Sam Samu already did really well last year as well in a sub par team. Fourie and Dobbins might not see as much time with Fasseler and farrell at both clubs. Alex Smit to have a big year for west’s, who was the premier grade 7 at west’s ?

Sorry add Viliami Lea to that list, I completely forgot about the kid. I feel he’ll do okay as well as these blokes

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
UQ should have a few guys looking to step up as well;

- Roache
- Grealy
- Ripley
- Hill (Played last season)
- Christian

UQ in both colts & grades will be very good.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It will be interesting to see if 2nd Grade gets used as a stepping stone for some of the U20’s .

Last year GPS had John Downs playing Colts 1 then 2nd Grade to help progress his scrummaging . Certainly his scrummaging improved over the season. Held his own against a strong Brothers front row in the 2nd Grade GF. Was dominant in the scrums during the Academy games .

Would have to think he learned more scrummaging against seasoned 2nd Graders .

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if 2nd Grade gets used as a stepping stone for some of the U20’s .

Last year GPS had John Downs playing Colts 1 then 2nd Grade to help progress his scrummaging . Certainly his scrummaging improved over the season. Held his own against a strong Brothers front row in the 2nd Grade GF. Was dominant in the scrums during the Academy games .

And at training packing down against Premier grade. While a lot of Colts do this too, most 2nd graders do it more often.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

mate that kid getting a gig in the under 20’s is a case of selectors not using there eyes. Watched him play a bit a couple of times and was unimpressed with most aspects of his game. There were many others who were more capable than him.

Your comment about scrumming against Reggie’s is well made. Some of the older hard heads at that level can teach the boys a thing of two.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
mate that kid getting a gig in the under 20’s is a case of selectors not using there eyes. Watched him play a bit a couple of times and was unimpressed with most aspects of his game. There were many others who were more capable than him.

Your comment about scrumming against Reggie’s is well made. Some of the older hard heads at that level can teach the boys a thing of two.

Agree Happyman.
He was dominated by the Souths Front Row in season & City v Country, UQ/Sunnybank also had the better of the GPS pack each time.
Solid player though.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just making a comment about his scrummaging really and the role packing against older , harder heads most likely had on this.

He was only 18 last year and reasonably fresh to prop, played mostly lock/#8 as a junior and got picked at prop for Marist Ashgrove as a 16/17 year old due to his strength, he won some national power lifting comp as a 16 year old.

His technique is improving , is as strong as an ox and has been dominant in his age group.

I actually totally get why they would have had a look at him at U20's. He has another year to go in the U20's system and just because is has been in a squad doesn't mean much at this point in the season. Totally guessing , but think they would be looking at him for next year.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Just making a comment about his scrummaging really and the role packing against older , harder heads most likely had on this.

He was only 18 last year and reasonably fresh to prop, played mostly lock/#8 as a junior and got picked at prop for Marist Ashgrove as a 16/17 year old due to his strength, he won some national power lifting comp as a 16 year old.

His technique is improving , is as strong as an ox and has been dominant in his age group.

I actually totally get why they would have had a look at him at U20's. He has another year to go in the U20's system and just because is has been in a squad doesn't mean much at this point in the season. Totally guessing , but think they would be looking at him for next year.

Mate I take the opposite view.
. Other boys know they have played better than him and are eligible so they should be picked ahead of him if he is inferior. How would you feel if you were a player who dominated during the season and you see a player who is not at your level get picked ahead of you.
Rep teams should be based on merit alone. that is why players get discouraged and give it up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

wow. Tone it down a little. The kid is just that - a kid. We have a fairly strong rule in Schoolboy rugby that no one talks down about schoolboys. Now this isn't a schoolkid, but just barely. You don't have to be so disrespectful.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
wow. Tone it down a little. The kid is just that - a kid. We have a fairly strong rule in Schoolboy rugby that no one talks down about schoolboys. Now this isn't a schoolkid, but just barely. You don't have to be so disrespectful.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Broader than QPR but what are people's views on:

1. Proposed National Club competition; &

2. Probable cancelation of the Hong Kong Sevens?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
maybe I've been under a rock on this. But whats the National club comp?
HK7's cancellation is a no brainer. Thought about going as it would be as cheap as chups bro. But it was one those yeah, nah moments.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
National Club comp.... very interesting to see how it would work in regards to promotion relegation etc.

I can envisage players with ambitions moving to Div.1 teams, much the same as subbies to Prems clubs now... or Heartland Players to Mitre 10 Cup provinces.

Imagine in approx 8 years time.... all the QPR teams are in Div 1.... It's possible I suppose?

Season 2020 - excited to see how it all pans out. Plenty of coaching changes and player movements in the off-season.

I'm guessing there's a fair few GPS players slightly disturbed at the influx of non-gallopers... In both 1st Grade and Women's. Especially considering the success they have built over the last 5-8 years. S
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... but sometimes a change is as good as a holiday and the new fresh experienced blood could be enough to get them over the line again.

South's on the rebuild... but can they carry on with the momentum their Colts created in 2019? Will be playing an exciting brand with Dammers in charge no doubt.... but they may struggle if games turn into an arm-wrestle

Brothers will be strong across all grades again. Their culture is strong, and their pool is so deep, that some players dont mind drowning at the bottom.
Matho has had some time away from the game, but that would definitely help in being able to look at the game from a different angle for a period of time. Also, with plenty of teams, I wonder if it will take Brothers players long to get sick of playing Brothers players every week in the lower grades.

UQ will be a different side, but will still rise to be near the top. Their brand of footy is strong and usually survives any personnel changes.

Wests will be interesting. LD and Jerry are massive losses for them. As is Henry. Hunter SHOULD be unavailable for them until the 2nd round. Hopefully Carter takes control and steers what I think will be a pretty inexperienced side around the park. Thanks for sacking Pat by the way, much appreciated!!

Easts may be the dark horse. A few key recruits and with Jack back..... could a premiership be in the eyes of the Tiger? I think they may struggle in the midfield... but that's a small hole to cover up if needed. Hopefully their fields hold up for the season.

LD will be excellent for Bond, but so was Harry. A splattering of some talent, and that long road trip south, will again cause some headaches for teams. Can't see their depth getting them anywhere above mid-table.

Sunnybank will be interesting. A tough place to play and on the drive home you usually end up just staring out the window wondering why your body hurts soooooooo much... and all you did was watch the game!
Not sure who they have recruited or who will step up for them this year. If their forwards can stay in the fight, and finish the games at the same intensity they start them, they will bash a few teams into submission for sure. I'm just not sure how they'll go on the road.

Norths.... ummmmm