• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Broader than QPR but what are people's views on:

1. Proposed National Club competition; &

2. Probable cancelation of the Hong Kong Sevens?

I would rather persist with the NRC model.

NZ has a club rugby and national comp model that works quite well.

I like the tribalism of club rugby and then having a pro comp in NRC in August/September.

I don’t know if the national club rugby competition will be the best strategy for players based in VIC/ACT and especially WA where only a couple of teams are promoted. (What kind of footy do you expect a Rebels of Brumbies player to be playing if their club doesn’t make the national club comp)

Fully expect a arms race where the rich get richer and the battlers keep battling as super rugby talent looks to align themselves with the stronger club teams.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
. Thanks for sacking Pat by the way, much appreciated!!
Norths.. ummmmm

What do you like about Pat?
He is a director of rugby? I think he could potentially be the next coach out at Norths depending how this year goes for the incumbent.

I was worried a bunch of wests players would follow but for the amount of losses Wests has had in QPR suprisingly I don’t think any have followed over to Shaw Rd.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would rather persist with the NRC model.

NZ has a club rugby and national comp model that works quite well.

I like the tribalism of club rugby and then having a pro comp in NRC in August/September.

I don’t know if the national club rugby competition will be the best strategy for players based in VIC/ACT and especially WA where only a couple of teams are promoted. (What kind of footy do you expect a Rebels of Brumbies player to be playing if their club doesn’t make the national club comp)

Fully expect a arms race where the rich get richer and the battlers keep battling as super rugby talent looks to align themselves with the stronger club teams.

Agree 100%. NRC with tweaks over a NCC. More alignment of clubs with the NRC teams. Go North v South of the River.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Great that a National club competition is being discussed or offered as part of media package but the true cost of participation for clubs will be the key to long term viability and structure. Every club will want to be involved but will they have the finances to actually step up. This shouldn’t be the reason to not proceed with the comp but there will need to be some financial benchmarks in place to protect clubs from themselves. Aspirations by club committees could quickly turn out to be financial suicide.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
It was my understanding that a lot of the NRC costs were covered by sponsors. QLD are the push behind NRC with the Force not far behind. Is that not the case?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It was my understanding that a lot of the NRC costs were covered by sponsors. QLD are the push behind NRC with the Force not far behind. Is that not the case?

I don't know whether you would say the QRU pushed/are pushing for the NRC but it is fair to say the Shute Shield clubs don't like the NRC they all want to go it alone and so be it if the weak fall by the way side. I would think the QPR clubs aren't as self interested as their SS contemporaries.

I would hate to think that the LT financial viability of any QPR club is brought into question and they fall out of QPR.

My fear is that RA will use the SS & QPR as a bargaining tool for the rights deal and then take all the money and the clubs are left out of pocket.

When the QPR clubs hosted the NRC games over the last few seasons it was not always a financial bonanza for them as there were a number of temporary infrastructure costs in bringing the venues up to speed and they relied of good food & beverage sales just to break even. The clubs were even told what beer they could and couldn't sell.

So whilst the National Club Rugby Competion (NCRC) might seem appealing beware the false god as it may well have a negative impact on the thing(QPR) that still keeps many contributors to this site still interested in the game of rugby.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
And don't listen if RA says they'll look after the interests of the club because they themselves won't control it it will be the broadcaster that dictates what goes.

I find it ironic that the Pulver era set out to pilfer the clubs and now RA sees club rugby as part of the answer for the future - I am happy that they have identified this because to many their club is the highest level of rugby that they are truly still genuinely interested in so get this (NCRC) wrong and the game will be lost to many more Australians.

My winter Saturday's are already spent at club/school rugby in the afternoon and then watching the NRL/AFL in the evening.

My plea to RA is don't stuff up QPR.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I would actually like to see the NRC move into a 730pm kick off. These afternoon games they’ve been doing when spring is morphing into summer. There was some real mercury breakers this previous NRC season as October Saturday afternoon kick offs can get quite toasty.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Any chance we see Broncos outcast Izzy Perese playing for the tigers while he figures out his next move.

I got the impression he loved playing for the tigers. Will never forget he turned out for tigers and a bench cameo like 90 minutes after landing back at Brisbane airport from a Reds trip to New Zealand.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any chance we see Broncos outcast Izzy Perese playing for the tigers while he figures out his next move.

I got the impression he loved playing for the tigers. Will never forget he turned out for tigers and a bench cameo like 90 minutes after landing back at Brisbane airport from a Reds trip to New Zealand.

Have to pass a drug test first!!

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
For club rugby?

There’s plenty of folks getting around in QPR on the recreational drugs.

There is a difference between using recreational drugs and being charged with trafficking!!

Regardless I don't think he will be in the head space/not many organisations will want to touch him. These allegations are serious. Heard from some journo mates today that more details to come this week about this alleged 'king pin' associate that don't paint a great picture of Izzy.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting to see Jonah Polonga down at Souths in some pics on social media tonight. I wonder if he felt unwanted at GPS due to their drive to get some more props in the off-season. Looks like he will get the last laugh though as reports saying Feao F who made the jump across to GPS has a long term injury and will miss all Super Rugby.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting to see Jonah Polonga down at Souths in some pics on social media tonight. I wonder if he felt unwanted at GPS due to their drive to get some more props in the off-season. Looks like he will get the last laugh though as reports saying Feao F who made the jump across to GPS has a long term injury and will miss all Super Rugby.

Interesting pick up.. Will he be a loss for the Gallopers PhilClinton?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Any time you lose a young player with Premier Grade experience it isn't great. In saying that, I used to shit my pants whenever Jonah would come on at the end of a close game, as I felt he was vulnerable in the scrum. Being a young prop is tough business and his scrummaging still has work to do.

I think he will end up being a great player but like I mentioned in the Reds thread about the Smith twins, it takes a while for props to develop, they were at a similar stage at that age. He will get better with age.