• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Got to remember it’s a professional era and quite a few of these lads are trying to eventually make some coin out of rugby .They also have a few more voices ( read managers ) in their ears .

It’s no longer the good old days where a pat on the back and a few beers with your mates are the reward they are looking for.
If you’re not getting an opportunity in your state and you’re offered between $50-$100K on a squad contract with the likes of the Brumbies or Tahs, yeah go for it. But just jumping around in Prems from one club to another, that’s just degrading.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Most boys know if a coach has a favourite in your position you will not get game time. Hard to hold anything against Casey his broken ankle in preseason last year was horrific and the new coach loves the Colts hooker from last year.

So he could probably see himself going down the pecking order. The QRU will mandate Farrell and Fourie in Prems over anyone else and frankly Casey is better than both of those two.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
If you’re not getting an opportunity in your state and you’re offered between $50-$100K on a squad contract with the likes of the Brumbies or Tahs, yeah go for it. But just jumping around in Prems from one club to another, that’s just degrading.

The only way you're going to get a contract is by playing Prem grade. So if you're a young bloke with aspirations of playing pro footy you'll move to get game time and not ride the pine or play in the lower grades. Like Happyman says, coaches have their favs, the boys get pigeon holed where only certain skills are seen, so the player has a choice of training the house down and making the most of the opportunity if given, or move clubs if it gives them more minutes on the park and show the powers that be that they deserve a shot at higher honors.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
What has happened to club loyalty? These young bucks are too easily convinced by coaches and managers to make a move. In my day, you start at a club and die at a club.
Yeah we all get pissed off at things from time to time, but you stick by your club in hard times and great. If your grand father, father, uncle, cousin played at the club, you also do. No exceptions.

Unfortunately clubs are not loyal to coaches. And I do not blame players who may have a greater loyalty to their coaches and following them to a new club or being disillusioned altogether with circumstances causing a change of coach and looking to remove themselves from that situation.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
How many of you blokes are one company / one organisation career men who never question the over arching authority of your organisation ?

For those of you who don’t respond may I be the first to congratulate you all on your indentured servitude

I thought about using the work analogy but the Club environment is very different. However, there is a “truth” to what you ask Gary. There is a small percentage that are chasing a career (and not a Club), so why wouldn’t they change work places to advance.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
However, there is a “truth” to what you ask Gary.

That’s two r’s as in Garry.

But jokes aside I think tribe scribes need to understand that there are blokes who are where they are for different reasons

And that’s totally fine . If someone wants to pursue an opportunity it doesn’t necessarily follow that they are a dickhead.

Conversely, those that spend a lot of years at one Club also doesn’t mean that they are ready to be canonised.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
There will always be the ‘one percenters’ who move for opportunity in a professional gig. Coaches have a 2 year cycle in and amateur team and a 3 year cycle in a professional team. A young player coming though the grades who has potential needs to experience different coaches for development moving forward. You don’t just jump ship because you might think you’re not the first preference for a position. What happened to the scenario of proving the coach wrong or asking the coach how he wants you to play a game. I am (was) a backs coach and the best players I had were the ones who listened and asked how to play the style of rugby best suited for that team. Those adaptable players progress forward. Believe me, I had a few hot shots that thought they knew more than me and evidently those players went nowhere regardless of the coaches they had over the years. There are a number of players on the international scene I have coached, who were not first preference for positions but their attitude got them where they are now. Ironically those players weathered the coaches along the way and were not club jumpers. Proof is in the pudding you could say.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Some good points being made here.

I think at the end of the day you'll find there really isn't a black and white answer to success. If a player is good enough, regardless of the club they stay at/go to, they will find their pathway.

Its hard to hang shit on guys who decide to jump clubs considering in the professional game, across every sport, people are breaking contracts, being cut from teams mid season etc. That is what these club guys are aspiring to be, so when the ethics of the 'real world' are like that you can see why loyalty has become less common.

For the record I was always a one club man as both a player and coach.

J

JeepsTragic

Club jumpers (journey men) are never really respected. That goes for coaches too. Fair enough if you’re moving up the ranks but don’t change clubs 5 minutes down the road for the same positions with no benefits. I hear these lads getting offered share housing and a few dollars, and all of a sudden they have lost their loyalty. Loyalty is a two way street.

I have never liked players moving clubs. Sadly there are sometimes personality clashes and sometimes players in 2nd grade are looking for their opportunity to play ones. Jeeps lost a number of great players especially in the late 80's & early 90's to stronger clubs during a pretty lean period for the club. Not to say we didn't have some issues but it still riled me.

The most egregious club change in recent years was Kerevi from Jeeps to Souths. He made his name by being the most dominant player in the Brisbane comp playing for Jeeps. And then after he started with the Reds, he decided that Souths was his club. What a smack in the face for Jeeps. Did he even play a game at Souths? How can Souths celebrate him as one of their great players when he didn't play a game? There will no memories of scoring in the corner at Crispy Wood and being cheers by the souths faithful. That memory for Samu anyway, will be at Yoku Rd.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Yep. Actions of a player tells you a lot about their character and mind set for success. There’s a difference between a good player and a great player. It all starts with the mind.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The most egregious club change in recent years was Kerevi from Jeeps to Souths. He made his name by being the most dominant player in the Brisbane comp playing for Jeeps. And then after he started with the Reds, he decided that Souths was his club. What a smack in the face for Jeeps. Did he even play a game at Souths? How can Souths celebrate him as one of their great players when he didn't play a game? There will no memories of scoring in the corner at Crispy Wood and being cheers by the souths faithful. That memory for Samu anyway, will be at Yoku Rd.

It would be very interesting if Kerevi were still at the Reds where he would land this season. I'm fairly sure he jumped to Souths with the Picone and Tuiquri co, when Dammers took over GPS Prems. Now with Dammers in charge at Souths, would he stick around?? Me thinks not.

J

JeepsTragic

It would be very interesting if Kerevi were still at the Reds where he would land this season. I'm fairly sure he jumped to Souths with the Picone and Tuiquri co, when Dammers took over GPS Prems. Now with Dammers in charge at Souths, would he stick around?? Me thinks not.

Sadly for Samu, he has gone now and the damage is done. I think it will be a decision that he will regret in a few years after he has retired.

Last year at a Jeeps lunch they welcomed back Cockbain, Dan Herbert and Tuney to talk about the 99 world cup and the 96 premiership. Greg Martin was MC and he got those in the crown who had pulled on a jersey to stand and sing the club song. Poor Samu would have to sit that out at Souths.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
^ genuinely surprised they allowed to sing the song.....unless it's been PC'd since my day!

I remember the post 96 GF Mad Monday pub crawl well (ish) up to the Paddo and then it's a bit hazy......:D

J

JeepsTragic

^ genuinely surprised they allowed to sing the song...unless it's been PC'd since my day!

I remember the post 96 GF Mad Monday pub crawl well (ish) up to the Paddo and then it's a bit hazy..:D

It certainly has but it probably wont stop us old blokes singing the original words so long as or daughters and wives are not around.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I have never liked players moving clubs. Sadly there are sometimes personality clashes and sometimes players in 2nd grade are looking for their opportunity to play ones. Jeeps lost a number of great players especially in the late 80's & early 90's to stronger clubs during a pretty lean period for the club. Not to say we didn't have some issues but it still riled me.

Yet he was a Souths junior.

Then there was the Fa'angia twins......

Look, reality is players have been swapping clubs forever and a day, for whatever reasons suit them. It's just a bit of a shock to see players leave en masse to one club. Feels like a kick in the teeth for taking time out to support them. Others have said here that Souths became a transient club after Picone got involved. I think the whole Brisbane prem comp has become a transient competition. It's just a stepping stone for a pro contract, somewhere. I've heard of reggie players picking up gigs in places like Portugal and Spain. It's just a feeder comp. We can just enjoy the skills of new players coming and going fleetingly mostly. Occasionally some return to repay where they started out. Kudos to those good men.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)

I can assure you that Samu Kerevi is not venerated as one of Souths great players. His name doesn't appear on our Honour Board at all but he did come to games and support his club mates whenever his Reds and Wallabies commitments allowed. Souths respected his decision to align himself with our great Club and he is most welcome at The Nest at Chipsy Wood, anytime.