• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just trials , so bit hard to judge , but Sunnybank didn’t really fire a shot yesterday. They played 2 x 40 mins halves against UQ and Bond’s 2nd squads .

UQ and Bond then played 4 x 20 mins , with UQ looking the better for all but the last quarter when UQ had mostly their second squad on the field.

No doubt a few from each club still to come back into contention, plus a few that played yesterday would have been for the coaches to have a look at if they could handle first grade .

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Good roll-up for the weekend (so I'm told). From what I heard (Chinese whispers), the ones/twos
had 6 x 20 minute sections. Jeeps mixed first grade backs with second grade forwards (for some of it)
as did Brothers. Not sure about the first two 20 min sections, but in the last 4 (20 min) sections of play
Jeeps were held scoreless, whilst Brothers scored 4 tries.

"Rumour is as good as truth" Old Phantom Saying.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is Ben Mowen playing for Easts this year?

I believe he is but he is also involved with the Aust U20s so he'll have his hands full.

Great for the competition to see a guy like him returning to his junior club at the end of his career.

Mark Chisholm did likewise a few years back at Wests.

Not at the end of his career but how good was it having Quade playing QPR in 2018?

Should be more of it.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
He will miss a fair chunk of the season with the U20’s . The second camp starts this Sunday , there will be a third around Easter sometime and they are away for around 4 weeks for the tournament , plus a camp before they leave .

Still great to have him playing QPR though.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Going back to last weekend's trials - Souths adopted an absolute no kicking philosophy. It made for interesting watching.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Going back to last weekend's trials - Souths adopted an absolute no kicking philosophy. It made for interesting watching.

Interesting plan
How did that go for them?? They will be a an unknown quantity.
Much to report?

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)

I think its a good option in an early trial. Coaches should be looking at how set pieces are functioning, combinations between players, what attack and defence structures are working or not, and who can actually play to them. Scoring tries is pretty much irrelevant in the scheme of things so field position is also not particularly relevant.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I believe he is but he is also involved with the Aust U20s so he'll have his hands full.

Great for the competition to see a guy like him returning to his junior club at the end of his career.

Mark Chisholm did likewise a few years back at Wests.

Not at the end of his career but how good was it having Quade playing QPR in 2018?

Should be more of it.

There have been a couple more who's names elude me at the moment, but could not agree more! It could only make the competition stronger, the young lads better and should even filter through to the higher honours.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Compass Cup continues today weather permitting:
Souths v Norths;
Easts v Wests

What on for the other clubs?

Two weeks today until round 1.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tough day at the office for the Bulldogs.

Score was 42-21 but it is only a trial, so plenty of things for Carl Marshall to work on.

Easts had a handy back row including Mowen & Gunn. Looks like the Tigers will be about the benchmark to make the top 4.

My top 4 prediction in no particular order is Uni, Bros, Easts & GPS.

Reactions: dru

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

Score was 42-21 but it is only a trial, so plenty of things for Carl Marshall to work on.

Easts had a handy back row including Mowen & Gunn. Looks like the Tigers will be about the benchmark to make the top 4.

Thanks bulldog - anyone see Norths v Souths??

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)

If that's West's next best 10 after Carter, they will have problems if Carter is unavailable due to U20's/Reds/Injury. 3rd grade at best.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
If that's West's next best 10 after Carter, they will have problems if Carter is unavailable due to U20's/Reds/Injury. 3rd grade at best.
Anyone know where Carter is with regard to his injury recovery and playing?

UQ have now got the fella that was behind Carter at Wests last year . He played nearly a full game at 10 against GPS and controlled the game quite well and his kicking in general play was very good. Came to UQ for a chance to play 10, maybe he could have stayed at Wests?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Anyone know where Carter is with regard to his injury recovery and playing?

UQ have now got the fella that was behind Carter at Wests last year . He played nearly a full game at 10 against GPS and controlled the game quite well and his kicking in general play was very good. Came to UQ for a chance to play 10, maybe he could have stayed at Wests?

To be fair, he was number 4 behind Carter, Henry and Mosely. But with Henry down south and Mosely MIA, the West's flyhalf stocks have dwindled.