• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

J

JeepsTragic

So the Bond lineout v the East scrum. What is going to be more important?

Was there any citing's from the Uni/Easts game? I thought Wallis for a shoulder charge and the Lock for lifting above the horizontal might have been in a bit of trouble. Berry and the assistants missed the Wallis shoulder charge altogether but I am pretty sure the lifting got pinged.

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
So the Bond lineout v the East scrum. What is going to be more important?

Was there any citing's from the Uni/Easts game? I thought Wallis for a shoulder charge and the Lock for lifting above the horizontal might have been in a bit of trouble. Berry and the assistants missed the Wallis shoulder charge altogether but I am pretty sure the lifting got pinged.
I doubt we’ll hear about any potential until later in the week but I’m relieved Wests weren’t involved in finals or the judiciary would be having a busy week

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I doubt we’ll hear about any potential until later in the week but I’m relieved Wests weren’t involved in finals or the judiciary would be having a busy week

Wests has had one playoff appearance in premier grade in 13 seasons. (Laughable)

Plenty more opportunities to “Rat” next year

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Congrads to Bond and Uni. Uni were awesome in the first 20 mins and blew Easts off the park.

As its been said above some of the decision making from GPS was less than desirable. Having said that how many times does a scrum need to be packed, penalized and repacked before a penalty try?

I thought Berry had an ordinary game on Saturday and Murphy did not have the courage to award a penalty try at the death. Maybe next week they should give Bond v Easts to one of the regular 1st grade ref's.

They didn't get a penalty try because it wasn't a dominant enough scrum to deserve a penalty try. How about using the scrum in the middle of the field & in front of the posts to make some attacking moves from? GPS got the result they deserved.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's interesting that this week we have had the following two items raised:

1. Easts ongoing reluctance to turn to their bench;

2. Wests one semi-final appearance in 13 years v Sunnybank.

Irony is that on that occasion Wests in clearing their bench of the back up front row probably cost them the game on that occasion.

So those Easts supporters willing Moses to use his bench - be wary of what you wish for.

The blokes on the bench tend not to be as good a player as those that start the game.

I think sometimes the impact of bringing on strategic replacements is to lessen the team's output.

This is just an opinion of mine which I know is against modern rugby vernacular.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don’t know if Easts front row depth is really an issue though. They’ve got Kirwan Sanday playing reserve grade - he was starting for QLD country NRC 12 months ago.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Bond will doing well to dust themselves off and go again this weekend .

Massive effort over the last two weekends , wonder if they have much left in the tank ?

Looked very happy walking over to their supporters on the hill last Sunday , but also pretty busted .

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Battle of the blue and yellow this week. Tipping can be done HERE

Wonder if Bond feel good knowing they've beaten both of the other teams remaining?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bond will doing well to dust themselves off and go again this weekend .

Massive effort over the last two weekends , wonder if they have much left in the tank ?

Looked very happy walking over to their supporters on the hill last Sunday , but also pretty busted .

Yes they have had a tough run since their bye in round 8 they have played Snbk(A), GPS(loss), Uni & then travelled to Ballymore last weekend. They have been up playing must win games to stay alive for the last 4 weeks. You also have to ask how difficult it is to travel for an hour in a car on game day. Not ideal preparation.

Whereas Easts had bye in round 10, then put in less than optimal performances against Brothers and Uni. They also underperformed when they travel to the Canal earlier in the season.

I think it comes down to who can play their style of rugby on the day. And who wants it more.

Easts will want a kick, territory, set piece game whereas Bond will want to play reactive, broken play, ad lib rugby.

Finals are usually determined by set piece dominance and defence.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree , the two teams will have very different game plans .

Easts will play field position and look to their set piece dominance.

Bond will try and limit the stoppages and keep the ball in play for longer periods of time to make space for their very quick outside backs .

Think it will come down to who dictates the way the game is played .

For all their set piece dominance , Easts haven’t looked great in general play in their last few outings.

If Bond can keep hold of the ball with minimal stoppages they are in with a big chance of making their first GF .

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Great work by Easts to beat Bond and advance to the finals - thankful they had the 2nd chance. Should be a good final but UQ will be very hard to beat.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Bond never really in it yesterday. Good work from them to get that far - I honestly don’t think GPS would have gotten any closer. Easts and Uni have looked a cut above in the back end of the season.

Bond look dangerous and they’ve got a young backline which hopefully stays together but they need to snag a couple of big mature forwards for next season to make the jump from a team sneaking into finals to being a top contender. Nonngorr and Blythe made a difference for them at set piece but they’ll be with the Reds again next year.

Jason Crosell

Bob McCowan (2)
With finals week underway there a few things to be sorted out (aside from who is going to win the premiership).

The Alec Evens medal could be an interesting one this year, I personally have it down to a few Eli Pilz, Tom Milosevic or Kye Oates. I think Pilz might get the nod but wouldn't be surprised to see Oates get it either with the amount of tries he was on the end of.

Easts looked to come out of the game yesterday with a few injuries, Frampton looked to be out cold and then came off clutching at his shoulder. If he is out it will be interesting to see what they do with Easts in the regies final as well.

final thought, please for the love of the game, put a main stayer referee who has been in the premier grade comp out in the middle for the game. Seeing the super rugby guys come back has made these finals games hard to watch.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I recon Tom Lucas might be a chance for the Alec Evans.

As for the GF referee - I think it will be Damon Murphy.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
With finals week underway there a few things to be sorted out (aside from who is going to win the premiership).

The Alec Evens medal could be an interesting one this year, I personally have it down to a few Eli Pilz, Tom Milosevic or Kye Oates. I think Pilz might get the nod but wouldn't be surprised to see Oates get it either with the amount of tries he was on the end of.

Easts looked to come out of the game yesterday with a few injuries, Frampton looked to be out cold and then came off clutching at his shoulder. If he is out it will be interesting to see what they do with Easts in the regies final as well.

final thought, please for the love of the game, put a main stayer referee who has been in the premier grade comp out in the middle for the game. Seeing the super rugby guys come back has made these finals games hard to watch.

Don't know who will win but he will have 6,7,8 or 9 on his back.......just like nearly every other year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
How is the Alec Evans Medal decided ?

Couldn’t imagine their would be too many people who have seen all games .

Votes each week by people present or just a general consensus?