• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not so much related to Premier Grade, but hearing rumours a lot of junior clubs are capping the number of teams and players for 2021 due to COVID. Might seriously impact on player numbers across the board

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Not so much related to Premier Grade, but hearing rumours a lot of junior clubs are capping the number of teams and players for 2021 due to COVID. Might seriously impact on player numbers across the board

Hadn't heard that, really short sighted if it is accurate. Lots of clubs last year didn't have juniors returning after COVID shutdown so they should be actively trying to get them back this year although training and playing space can be limited due to health restrictions. Across all sports I suspect lots of juniors have dropped off so all sports should be actively trying to get them back. Junior sport needs to be more accommodating to encourage kids to participate, some are too focused on winning but IMHO you need the numbers coming through for the high performers to rise and long term we need people interested in our game, not just pro players.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
When do trials kick off?

I imagine they pushed back start of season because how late last years season wrapped up in the year?

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I believe most clubs will be starting inter club (as distinct from intra club) trials in about a month - ie three weeks before Easter. Easter is time off then first competition round the first weekend after Easter.

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
When do trials kick off?

I imagine they pushed back start of season because how late last years season wrapped up in the year?

I know of the "compass cup" trials:

March 13th
Wests @ Souths
Easts @ Norths

March 20th
Norths @ Wests
Souths @ Easts

March 27th
Norths @ Souths
Easts @ Wests

April 10th
Round 1 of QPR !

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
I know of the "compass cup" trials:

adding to that

March 13th
Wests @ Souths
Easts @ Norths
GPS vs UQ @ Albany Creek
Brothers @ Sunnybank

March 20th
Norths @ Wests
Souths @ Easts
UQ vs Brothers (not sure where)
GPS @ Sunnybank

March 27th
Norths @ Souths
Easts @ Wests
GPS vs Brothers @ Albany Creek
UQ vs Sunnybank (Not sure where)

April 10th
Round 1 of QPR !

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Who does Bond have trials against?

No idea

Perhaps the Gold Coast teams or a inter trial

I would expect a u20s QLD vs Bond may also be on the cards.... qld U20s have played premier grade teams in years past but I’m aware if those teams (u20s) are even in operation in this covid environment.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Who does Bond have trials against?
Have got Bond playing UQ at Bond on March 27th .

The other two trials put forward by Eldiablo for UQ are correct . The Brother’s trial is at Crosby.

Having said that , last year Sunnybank, UQ and Bond did play a 3x3 first and second grade trial just before the season was originally due to kick off.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the fact that the Aust Club Championship being played at the start of the subsequent year diminishes from its standing because the sides that run out bare little resemblance to the sides that won the respective GFs the year before. In Easts case this year they will have the following missing from the GF pack that demolished Uni in the GF: Francis, Asiata, van Nek, Uru, Mowen & Milosevic.

I would have loved seeing that pack up against the SS champs(??).

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I think the fact that the Aust Club Championship being played at the start of the subsequent year diminishes from its standing because the sides that run out bare little resemblance to the sides that won the respective GFs the year before. In Easts case this year they will have the following missing from the GF pack that demolished Uni in the GF: Francis, Asiata, van Nek, Uru, Mowen & Milosevic.

I would have loved seeing that pack up against the SS champs(??).

Agree , it’s rarely more than a glorified trial game .

The depth at Easts will be tested with the names mentioned missing. The pack that started the GF last year were a level up on the rest of the comp. They might get Asiata back at some point .

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
he was in the crowd of the Reds v Tahs game so perhaps he is still around?

I note Fred Fewtrell featured in the Japan league highlights so he's gone.
That’s the reason Fred didn’t play the back end of the QPR season last year , his Japanese club didn’t want him playing once he signed. Didn’t go down well with all in Tigerland , particularly after all the work Benny Mowen had done with him in the preseason, but I’m sure they were happy for him and the opportunity.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Nick Chapman heading to Sydney to train with Aussie 7’s. Good luck to him trialing for the Olympic’s. Fantastic Premier grade footy player, hopefully he can take the next step up.

Yes love the mans versatility... what positions can he cover in 15s? I know his played 9 and 15, think I recall a bit of 10... assume his played on wing as well because of his speed

Huge loss for Norths! But good on him for using QPR as stepping stone too bigger and better things