• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes - it was a great club rugby day all round spoilt by these mindless idiots. Totally unacceptable, dangerous and a blight on the club supporters.

I trust the GPS Management take this incident very seriously and the perpetrator/s are dealt with accordingly and that this sort of rubbish NEVER happens again.

Shame the GPS v Uni game ended like it did. Word has it a beer can was thrown and that kicked it off. A similar thing happened some years ago from memory? GPS never take losing well but this sort of shit is way over the odds.
Good match that was most notable for GPS' inability to do anything constructively apart from scrummage. Red Heavies look red hot this year.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
There was some chat thrown at one of the UQ players by a couple of patrons of the Glue Factory , that it got a reaction should suggest it wasn’t either witty or PC.

Herbie was yelling at GPS boys through the loud speaker to back off and Michael Richards apologised in his post match speech to the UQ players .

It was handled as well as it could have been, and was the only slight on what was otherwise a good day and a great crowd. Being ladies day it was a big crowd.

The home crowd had plenty to cheer about with good wins in Colts 1 and 2nd Grade. First Grade was tight for bit in the second half with two quick tries to the home side , but GPS were well off their best . The lineout in particular was a shambles and showed little patience in attack against a good defensive effort from the Red Heavies. Scrums would have been the only thing in GPS’ favour and then it wasn’t by as much as many expected.

Beers Nomad - only takes one bloke but GPS are a great club full of great people such as Herbie who I am sure will make the louts hangover the next day the least of his problems.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Moving onto next weekend’s games , all have a decent amount of interest in them.

Wests host GPS in 3rd v 2nd
Brothers host Bond in 5th v 4th

All of these teams are within a win of each other.

Norths host Easts in 7th v 9th . Can Norths get their second win of the season ? Can Easts get their first?
Souths host Sunnybank in 6th v 8th . Always a bit of feeling between these clubs and only one win apart on the table.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
If there was anything serious said or done from the Glue Factory that goes beyond banter I’m sure GPS management will deal with it. The last bloke who stepped out of line (throwing a can at Sam Greene circa 6 years ago) was handed down a suspension from the club and written apology to all parties.

The Glue Factory and Butchery cop some bad wraps as the clubs congregate players to those spots. Sitting around opposition players in the stands at most clubs and you’ll hear very similar remarks.

Spot on comment.

There’s good n bad in most clubs. Good banter hopefully.
Can’t throw anything period.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes - it was a great club rugby day all round spoilt by these mindless idiots. Totally unacceptable, dangerous and a blight on the club supporters.

I trust the GPS Management take this incident very seriously and the perpetrator/s are dealt with accordingly and that this sort of rubbish NEVER happens again.

Never is a very very long time. I’m sure bad behaviour will happen again; hopefully there
are enough sensible heads that tame the situation.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
A lot of posters here have asked why Jaybor Staunton didn’t get a start with Stan Sport for the QPR games, I thought he was good last year as the commentator for most games of the round and generally gave a good spin on QPR stuff.

But some of the media and content he’s involved with on the Pillar to Post podcast and the Pig Athletic Club has been pretty low brow this year. I wonder what came first, the Stan Sports guys hearing some of that stuff or when he didn’t get the call up he decided to just not worry about a professional sports image.

I’m glad he’s still involved in some type of rugby content and plenty is enjoyable but yeh, I don’t see him getting a mainstream gig if he keeps posting some of the stuff they are doing.

I certainly appreciated the Stan commentary for the brothers v Sunnybank game. Very professional, had insight of the players and
Appropriate comments; well done that man.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The account of the GPS v UQ incident being provided to me and some other members is Glue Factory vocal all game as usual, full-time siren went and the UQ hooker who had been targeted throughout went over to the Glue Factory to shake their hands as a bit of tongue in cheek after UQ won, a GPS supporter took exception and poured beer in his face, UQ player grabbed the supporter in retaliation and the scuffle started.

GPS supporter being dealt with by the club as there was a single person who initiated the ordeal.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Extremely saddening to hear about the carry on at Yoku, particularly in light of the trophy they were playing for.

Completely unacceptable behaviour, I know management will sort it out.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
STAN vision shows UQ halfback pushing the GPS 10 in the back before FT.
The GPS 10 walk away and then the UQ 9 pushes his shoulder into him almost asking for more.
Did this incite what happen next? I think watching live on the day, it was certainly an influence and was close proximity to what happened next. It looked to then spill into the young crowd and then the wide shot from STAN showed the unfortunate scene that follow. Hope they ban those involved. Very bad look for Saturday afternoon. Too many can for that man.

Reactions: vac

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
N
The GPS 10 walk away and then the UQ 9 pushes his shoulder into him almost asking for more.
Did this incite what happen next? I think watching live on the day, it was certainly an influence and was close proximity to what happened next. It looked to then spill into the young crowd and then the wide shot from STAN showed the unfortunate scene that follow. Hope they ban those involved. Very bad look for Saturday afternoon. Too many can for that man.

Anything short of a lifetime club ban is too lenient - do the crime, do the time? sunshine! Too much juice, NO excuse

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Was it a player or a fan?

Young man involved has played in the past but I’m not sure about this season as I’m not involved with the club as much anymore.

I don’t doubt there will be some type of ban regardless of whether he’s spectator or player, as I said the last incident that compared to this at GPS roughly 6 years ago the player was banned for I think 6-8 games, not allowed to attend home games for that period and provided apologies to all parties.

The club will deal with it but I doubt it will be a lifetime ban. Let’s not forget some other incidents happen at around the grounds, we’ve had injured prem grade players run off the bench to king hit opposition, just recently at another club several colts punched a premier grade player in the carpark after the game. Everyone involved in those situations got a second chance.

Reactions: vac

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
N

Anything short of a lifetime club ban is too lenient - do the crime, do the time? sunshine! Too much juice, NO excuse

Come on Oracle, you can’t be serious?! I’m not condoning the action, but if you liken it to a civil action, it’s assault (by beer). No one got hurt, just a bit of excessive pride. The magistrate would give a cursory fine and place him on a good behaviour bond.

Now back to rugby; a ban for a period, a personal and written apology; and hopefully the young lad has learned an important lesson. Hopefully he can use his experiences to discourage others.
Maybe the Uni 2 actions should be also under scrutiny??

Nowww back to the rugby!

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)

Interesting. Maybe it was a factor; but we won’t know; only the Uni 9, those in the glue factory and the young man involved would have an answer to that.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Come on Oracle, you can’t be serious?! I’m not condoning the action, but if you liken it to a civil action, it’s assault (by beer). No one got hurt, just a bit of excessive pride. The magistrate would give a cursory fine and place him on a good behaviour bond.

Now back to rugby; a ban for a period, a personal and written apology; and hopefully the young lad has learned an important lesson. Hopefully he can use his experiences to discourage others.
Maybe the Uni 2 actions should be also under scrutiny??

Nowww back to the rugby!

Okay no lifetime ban, nude lap at halftime then

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

worth going back in the video just a little bit longer....

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
Sounds like all parties involved need a bit of a clip over the ears. Haven’t seen footage of the incident, my Stan cuts off right as they’re shaking hands but if the reports are correct, players should be strongly encouraged not to interact with opposing fans even if tongue in cheek - need to be smarter. Would also suggest GPS (and all clubs for that matter) should take a look at their security arrangements to ensure that it doesn’t get to the point where a supporter is able to pour a beer on a player. Very poor form but unfortunately not the first and won’t be the last an incident is caused by a chirpy supporter after a few too many brews.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
One of my favourite parts of club rugby is the chatter from fans. When I played, a long time ago, Brothers, GPS and Easts were the best places to go because you knew the locals would give it to you. You always had to bring your A-game.

I'm sure GPS will sort it out. A life ban would be incredibly harsh. I'd suggest a formal apology and maybe don't serve him for a few games. It's an opportunity to educate the fans, especially players from lower grades, whats acceptable and whats not. They should also be pulling each other into line if there is an issue.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Would also suggest GPS (and all clubs for that matter) should take a look at their security arrangements to ensure that it doesn’t get to the point where a supporter is able to pour a beer on a player..

The fence between the supporters and the playing field is a good 5m back, which is the same at pretty much all clubs. Unless the GPS bloke had inspector gadget arms there really isn't a way for beer to be poured directly onto someone unless they approach the fence. Throwing cans or objects obviously a different story.