• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
View attachment 12393

Where’s Stewart and Carter Gordon. A bit relieved Carter’s not playing.
Mason to 10 is a smart move , the defence through the 10/12 channel has been very poor for Wests.

The backline looks as good as it could be without the Super crew.

To answer Rugby Roberts question, Reds’ players get 2 weeks off as part of their contract. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has been back with UQ this week but won’t play for a couple of rounds . Dealing with “load” management confuses me !

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Mason to 10 is a smart move , the defence through the 10/12 channel has been very poor for Wests.

The backline looks as good as it could be without the Super crew.

To answer Rugby Roberts question, Reds’ players get 2 weeks off as part of their contract. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has been back with UQ this week but won’t play for a couple of rounds . Dealing with “load” management confuses me !
Load management after 12 games? It would be interesting to know the injury stats in Europe after 24 games.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorovi was outstanding for Wests when he finally got on. Big Georgie on the other hand what a fall from grace. Just prior to halftime with Wests attacking 15m out he can't be bothered making the cleanout as he was blowing led to a turnover.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Sorovi was outstanding for Wests when he finally got on. Big Georgie on the other hand what a fall from grace. Just prior to halftime with Wests attacking 15m out he can't be bothered making the cleanout as he was blowing led to a turnover.
On paper at least , Wests looked like they might have the edge in the backs .

Guessing Brothers dominated the breakdown? And had ascendancy in the forwards?

The Wests’ forwards looked either disinterested, unfit or both when they played UQ. Brothers on the other hand matched it with UQ for the whole game, which not many teams have been able to do so far this season.,

Wests’ forwards are a talented bunch, but seem to fade out of games for periods of time . That is enough to find themselves down by too many points against the top teams to get back in game .

What’s your take on this JC?

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just over half way through the comp, thought I'd have a crack at a team of the season so far:

1. Jethro Felemi (GPS)
2. Matt Faessler (Brothers)
3. Hamish Richardson (UQ)
4. Pat Morrey (UQ)
5. Tuaina Tualima (GPS)
6. Dylan Rowe (Bond)
7. Matt Gicquel (GPS)
8. Lona Holohola (UQ)
9. Neal McNamara (Sunnybank)
10. Paddy James (Brothers)
11. Josh Collins (GPS)
12. Tautalatasi Tasi (Bond)
13. Vilikesa Raboiliku (Norths)
14. Shane Kennedy (Easts)
15. Nathan Carroll (Brothers)
RESERVES
16. Maile Ngauamo (GPS)
17. Alex Davies (UQ)
18. Kieran Fitzgibbon (Norths)
19. Ben Grant (Easts)
20. Tom Milosevic (Easts)
21. Mosiah Christian (UQ)
22. James Ambrosini (Bond)
23. Kye Oates (UQ)

Some positions hard to choose. All clubs represented bar Wests and Souths mainly due to their teams changing every week and not a lot of consistency.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wests’ forwards are a talented bunch, but seem to fade out of games for periods of time . That is enough to find themselves down by too many points against the top teams to get back in game .

What’s your take on this JC?

Mate I'm an outsider just watching but I would suggest you are on the money in terms of the fitness. The forward attack play isn't overly creative either. The Skeltons are great ball carriers but they seem to be one out running into multiple defenders. Still perform strong carries but then poor cleanout leads to slow ball.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping table after the weekend.

Congrats Heavy Unit who tipped the round.

Heavy Unit 23
Keeno 23
Learning Curve 23
NJ 22
Sage Too 20
Jets 18
Zinzan Brooke 18
MeanGreen 17
SouthernX 17
Paty305 16
Happyman 15
Rugby Follower 15
Cam G 14
Jonte 13
Linespeed 13
Nomad 13
Marbig 10
Beerad 9
Dusky W 8
Jumpman 7
Hound 5
PhatMik 5
Fisherman123 4
Pick and Drive 4
DB 3
Graham Welsh 2
Daniel 10 1
Gary 1

S

Sgt Slaughter

Mate I'm an outsider just watching but I would suggest you are on the money in terms of the fitness. The forward attack play isn't overly creative either. The Skeltons are great ball carriers but they seem to be one out running into multiple defenders. Still perform strong carries but then poor cleanout leads to slow ball.

I think the halves are the issue - Mason Gordon got found out at 10, when Sorovi is on he’s great but try’s too hard as a result of not having a strong 10.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)

Wests forwards have a real Northern Hemisphere feel about them, big, trench warfare, one out runners. Trouble is this is Brisvegas, hard grounds and not a foot of mud. The forwards are having a hard time linking with the Shea's of the world.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Just over half way through the comp, thought I'd have a crack at a team of the season so far:

1. Jethro Felemi (GPS)
2. Matt Faessler (Brothers)
3. Hamish Richardson (UQ)
4. Pat Morrey (UQ)
5. Tuaina Tualima (GPS)
6. Dylan Rowe (Bond)
7. Matt Gicquel (GPS)
8. Lona Holohola (UQ)
9. Neal McNamara (Sunnybank)
10. Paddy James (Brothers)
11. Josh Collins (GPS)
12. Tautalatasi Tasi (Bond)
13. Vilikesa Raboiliku (Norths)
14. Shane Kennedy (Easts)
15. Nathan Carroll (Brothers)
RESERVES
16. Maile Ngauamo (GPS)
17. Alex Davies (UQ)
18. Kieran Fitzgibbon (Norths)
19. Ben Grant (Easts)
20. Tom Milosevic (Easts)
21. Mosiah Christian (UQ)
22. James Ambrosini (Bond)
23. Kye Oates (UQ)

Some positions hard to choose. All clubs represented bar Wests and Souths mainly due to their teams changing every week and not a lot of consistency.

Chosen for their performance and not their club - well played Whisperer!!

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Wests forwards have a real Northern Hemisphere feel about them, big, trench warfare, one out runners. Trouble is this is Brisvegas, hard grounds and not a foot of mud. The forwards are having a hard time linking with the Shea's of the world.
Quite surprised by the outcome on Saturday, more so for the backline that Wests named in comparison. We all know that games are won upfront and our boys turned up and got the job done. We were fitter, more skilled and stronger in every breakdown and set piece. Our forwards definitely made the backs look much better. Probably not the best game from our fullback all season but he had the luxury to make a few mistakes. Phoenix was exceptional. Flook and Creighton average.
On West’s front it was obvious that Sorovi coming in mid second half kept the score respectable. Henry didn’t really contribute, Mason Gordon probably had his worst kicking game in his lifetime, and Vaihu couldn’t get into space. Isi was good.
A much needed win for Brothers to keep the finals momentum.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I heard Higgers has retired from professional rugby. I wonder if he will come back to Brisbane now full time. He gives me Ben Mowen vibes and could be the answer for the Doggies in 2022.

It would be great to see the ol' dog back at the Kennel without doubt.
But they've already shoehorned a 6 foot loosie into lock, So it would be an interesting family paper scissor rocks with the Skelton boys to see who moves into the tight and who plays Reggies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping this week is HERE

Sunnybank get a 12.5 start over Bond
GPS handicapped 16.5 over a resurgent Easts
Norths helped by 24.5 over Uni, rain played a factor in bringing this back in.
Souths at home against Wests will need to overcome the 3.5 points

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
That's a big margin for the Easts / GPS game given GPS will be missing five regular 1st graders this Saturday, including the 10, 12, 13 inside backs combination. I believe four of them are attending a wedding and the fifth is gone for a few weeks rep duties with Tonga.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Big effort from GPS to get up over Easts. The Tigers forward pack was on paper was epic, but I thought GPS did a good job of preventing the big names from dominating the game.