• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Lol Stumpy. Knew you’d go to work on the evil empire.. thank you.

Wonder what the Sydney lockdown means for Shute shield and other provinces using QLD/NSW third tier to develop their cattle.

Could we see the West bulldogs Rebels make a switch to Shute shield after the bulldogs claim their first hospital cup in 15 years? season is setting up for Shute shield to recommence in September usually when NRC would normally kick off.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes certainly not a problem isolated to Sunnybank, but they seem to be giving up more than they are getting in return.

With regard to Chibba and Horwill , they might have been tempted to play their junior footy at UQ had that been an option then. Hopefully the Taylor Bridge / Kenmore / Springfield mashup into the UQ Junior Heavies is successful and there is no need for UQ to “steal” everyone else’s juniors . ( typed with tongue firmly in cheek)

I certainly think this comes down to club/school allegiances, i know some clubs do a fair bit of marketing aimed at the seniors in trying to attract them for post-rugby. Some AIC/GPS 1st XV matches and training sessions this year have occurred at certain clubs.

In the Southside catchment, Easts have strong affiliations with Churchie and Villanova, and Souths have a strong affiliations with Lauries. BSHS seem to traditionally split between Souths and Sunnybank.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
I certainly think this comes down to club/school allegiances, i know some clubs do a fair bit of marketing aimed at the seniors in trying to attract them for post-rugby. Some AIC/GPS 1st XV matches and training sessions this year have occurred at certain clubs.

In the Southside catchment, Easts have strong affiliations with Churchie and Villanova, and Souths have a strong affiliations with Lauries. BSHS seem to traditionally split between Souths and Sunnybank.

My mail is that the "issues" at Sunnybank run a lot deeper than the recruitment and retention of players. The cultural, management, financial and behavioural issues that are behind the demise have been happening for some time now. It is very sad for the local competition and those many great people that helped develop the club over many years. I would encourage them to walk down the hall of mirrors and ask themselves the hard questions. Only with some honesty and clarity will come some answers and hopefully real solutions/strategies. We need depth in our local competition and for young men and women to be active and healthy. I hope Sunnybank find a way.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Bonds race might have been run. They’ll need two wins with BPs and hope that Wests & Brothers stand still. It’s not over just yet but will be if they go down to Bros this weekend.
Wests(46 points) play GPS & Uni
Bros (44) play Bond & GPS
Bond(37) play Bros & Souths

If they beat Bros then they might edge out Bros with Souths in Rnd 18 ( a likely 5 pointer).

I wish the Bulldogs had a couple more BPs in the bag, but playing GPS & Uni is ideal finals preparation.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
My mail is that the "issues" at Sunnybank run a lot deeper than the recruitment and retention of players. The cultural, management, financial and behavioural issues that are behind the demise have been happening for some time now. It is very sad for the local competition and those many great people that helped develop the club over many years. I would encourage them to walk down the hall of mirrors and ask themselves the hard questions. Only with some honesty and clarity will come some answers and hopefully real solutions/strategies. We need depth in our local competition and for young men and women to be active and healthy. I hope Sunnybank find a way.

The unfortunate reality of grassroots sports is that once the rot sets in at an administrational level, only a full cleanout will likely yield worthwhile results.

Changing the habits of people who have worked to get a club to a place they are now isn't going to happen. And I say that as a general comment not just with whatever is happening at Sunnybank, but there are a few more clubs in QPR that need a wake up.

I wouldn't say the GPS admin was rotten pre the Anthony Herbert regime, but it was turning it's wheels in the mud. Not much happening to improve the club, but the culture was still good. Herbie is an interesting bloke and the work he's done to promote the club and create a juniors to Prems inclusive vibe has been instrumental in the success they've had recently.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don’t know, i just remember Sunnybank Rugby making a statement about this a few years ago, urging their members to join to maintain their control of the club. Maybe its in relation to cricket and netball.

A few years ago the rugby club did seem to be noticeably more flush with money for facilities, staff and ‘player payments’ as opposed to now. Could be wrong, it was a question for those involved there.

Rugby are the only full members, not sure if many vote for the Community club board though. They need to find some good rugby/business people who would add something to the board but have rugby at the front of mind.
As I mentioned before they are getting new management at the club, they all need to get on the same page and should be super successful in the future.
As for recruitment they have get into the local schools, lots of rough diamonds out there who are overlooked. Also, they just need numbers in the Colts program so they need to not just attract the top end, but also guys who will bleed green and play colts 2 & 3 and continue into grades.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don’t have a great deal of sympathy for Snbk as from what I understand their grants from the community club finished up about 6 years ago. They had a good run when they got the cash and paid a large number of reds players, maybe it would have been better to spend that money on consolidating the whole club structure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t have a great deal of sympathy for Snbk as from what I understand their grants from the community club finished up about 6 years ago. They had a good run when they got the cash and paid a large number of reds players, maybe it would have been better to spend that money on consolidating the whole club structure.

yes this is my question, why have the grants from the community grants ceased, or at least significantly declined? That community club has grown significantly larger over the past 6 years, besides COVID last year they’re surely still profiting significantly on the back of the pokies.

Rugby are the only full members, not sure if many vote for the Community club board though. They need to find some good rugby/business people who would add something to the board but have rugby at the front of mind.
As I mentioned before they are getting new management at the club, they all need to get on the same page and should be super successful in the future.
So why have the grants from the community club declined then?

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
yes this is my question, why have the grants from the community grants ceased, or at least significantly declined? That community club has grown significantly larger over the past 6 years, besides COVID last year they’re surely still profiting significantly on the back of the pokies.

So why have the grants from the community club declined then?

I believe many other sporting clubs etc. from around the area and beyond also apply to the Sunnybank Community Club for grants. I believe community clubs such as Sunnybank must spread the love.

May be wrong though.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Bonds race might have been run. They’ll need two wins with BPs and hope that Wests & Brothers stand still. It’s not over just yet but will be if they go down to Bros this weekend.
Wests(46 points) play GPS & Uni
Bros (44) play Bond & GPS
Bond(37) play Bros & Souths

If they beat Bros then they might edge out Bros with Souths in Rnd 18 ( a likely 5 pointer).

I wish the Bulldogs had a couple more BPs in the bag, but playing GPS & Uni is ideal finals preparation.
Who of the Rebels’ additions will be eligible for finals Bulldog?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
other than the guys registered since the start of the season, only Haylett-Petty would be close but I don't think he'll get to 6 (which I think we said was the magic mark?)

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
other than the guys registered since the start of the season, only Haylett-Petty would be close but I don't think he'll get to 6 (which I think we said was the magic mark?)

That's my understanding too Reg - I don't think any of them will qualify. I think they had to be registered by 3 July & play 6 games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I believe many other sporting clubs etc. from around the area and beyond also apply to the Sunnybank Community Club for grants. I believe community clubs such as Sunnybank must spread the love.

May be wrong though.

That’s why I suggested, but Jets mentioned the rugby members are the only full members and maintain a control of the club, so I’m a bit confused why this would be the case then.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Rebels: Gordon x2, Vaihu x2, Sorovi and Vudugo will all qualify from the bulldogs.

I’m sure there will be dispensations lodged for the other players. Whether not they are approved is another question.
I have a feeling there’s going to be some leniency shown with the top 4 and players qualifying for finals on account of border restrictions, lack of 3rd tier and game time being given in the interest of the national team… but we shall wait and see.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rebels: Gordon x2, Vaihu x2, Sorovi and Vudugo will all qualify from the bulldogs.

I’m sure there will be dispensations lodged for the other players. Whether not they are approved is another question.
I have a feeling there’s going to be some leniency shown with the top 4 and players qualifying for finals on account of border restrictions, lack of 3rd tier and game time being given in the interest of the national team… but we shall wait and see.

I don't believe any leniency can be shown. The competition rules are quite specific about the limits of the discretionary powers of the management committee - see below.

'To reiterate, the only discretionary power available to the Management Committee is in regards to injury to the player for whom dispensation is sought or forfeits and is only considered if the player is actually registered at that time. Consideration for a player who has played in a higher grade in place of a player who has been selected / played in any representative team is not included within this discretionary power'

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Serge. My point on dispensations would be any previous injuries to rebels players whom couldn’t of turned out earlier in season.

Not saying Wests would seek a dispensation but I believe a professional rugby team like the rebels would keep better medical records and there maybe a case for dispensation.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Speaking of finals, is Jeremy Skelton going to be available for the Doggies? Or is his second red for the season rubbed him out?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Seeing the Wallabies are in a bubble and likely to be in NZ for some time , don't think national interest will come into dispensation for qualification for QPR finals.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I just re-read the rulebook serge shared the other day.

Sounds like super rugby players all they have to be is registered before July 3 regardless of the game tally.

So the 6 game law applying to non qld reds super rugby player is moot and finals eligibility only relates to a cut off date of when a super rugby/aus7s player was registered.

That’s my interpretation of how I read it. Might be wrong but T&Cs were never my strong suit.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Speaking of finals, is Jeremy Skelton going to be available for the Doggies? Or is his second red for the season rubbed him out?

I think he’s done.

Shame… he played really great the first half of season but couple of red cards in back to back appearances on the back end of season means he’ll be due back in 2022.