• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What your kidding aren’t you? Don’t forget last year the grand final was on 1 November (I think?). I think if they want to “write-off” the last 2 rounds, then the qru then needs to pick an end-point for the grand final (say 15 oct) and if the games (finals) can’t be completed by then; I would make it a null year I.e. no trophies, just finished first second etc.

I think the trophies are only for winners of gf’s. No gf no trophies.

No I’m not kidding, some clubs like GPS share grounds with Cricket clubs, and Cricket season kicks-off in September for some divisions.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
As much as this is 'the best' result for everyone, I'm not sure you can confidently extend the season without serious disruption in regards to finding an end date that works.

I know for example three Premier grade players across different teams who are all due to be married in the weeks after the end of the season. Now there is no guarantee those weddings will even go ahead, but if you extend the season you're risking teams playing in a final/grand final having to choose between a wedding or leaving their team 6 players short (assuming team mates are invited). I know other people specifically push work commitments back until after the season as well. It's an amateur competition don't forget so these guys probably won't be keen hanging out for 6 weeks waiting to be told to play again.

I think they need to make a call with the intention of playing the Grand Finals on the same weekend they are currently booked. Similar to what Adam says, if they can get some games before that, it's great. But if it means just the 1 v 2 for the Championship, those are the cards which have been dealt.

Think this is just too bad. Yeah it’s an amateur game, but it’s played on the weekend. Those people (like others in the past), have to choose what they want. The game can’t be dictated by individuals and their circumstances; full stop.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Think this is just too bad. Yeah it’s an amateur game, but it’s played on the weekend. Those people (like others in the past), have to choose what they want. The game can’t be dictated by individuals and their circumstances; full stop.

If the game shows complete disregard towards the people who make it happen, then there isn’t going to be a game to manage.

It’s a balancing act and I’m sure the decision will be made in consultation with the clubs, who should in term make decisions in consultation with the players.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
If the game shows complete disregard towards the people who make it happen, then there isn’t going to be a game to manage.

It’s a balancing act and I’m sure the decision will be made in consultation with the clubs, who should in term make decisions in consultation with the players.

What are you guys trolls or something? I don’t think a smaller number of people whom have something on when the finals series are run, is a “complete disregard” for a smaller number of players. Both sides, qru and players (and supporters) have to consider the situation and difficulties on all fronts.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well then we won’t be having any semi- finals at jeeps then.

Sure, but the original comment was in regards to issues extending the season, including the regular season, and ground availability is one of those due to other sports which share the space.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What are you guys trolls or something? I don’t think a smaller number of people whom have something on when the finals series are run, is a “complete disregard” for a smaller number of players. Both sides, qru and players (and supporters) have to consider the situation and difficulties on all fronts.

What….
PhilLitton gave you a perfectly good reason why extending the season could impact on peoples lives and why it isn’t a straight forward solution.. You must consider the impact on individuals if making those decisions.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think all this is a moot point anyway.

My mail today is that QPR will likely call the season finished this weekend if the lockdown is extended, and possibly do it regardless as one of the caveats for a lifted lockdown may be no community sport as the government doubles down its mask enforcement, with community sport being one of the only times majority of people aren't wearing one.

Several factors playing into it but one of the main ones is the future unavailability of Suncorp for finals, as the NRL have apparently forked out to run the rest of their competition from there which would put it out of action until October and cancel the current QPR booking. With only 2 rounds and finals to be played the QRU aren't willing to put the competition on hold for 9 weeks.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Several factors playing into it but one of the main ones is the future unavailability of Suncorp for finals,

This is the weakest “main excuse” I have heard. just move the venue FFS.

We are hosting the Olympics in 2032. south east qld is flush with venues that could hold a finals series as a one off…

I’m guessing the QRU would rather a venue they can profit off compared to taking the financial hit of a free finals as there’s not too many closed venues they could charge a ticket for.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
We've had consecutive days of 50k testing , and its reasonable to assume we will maintain these numbers in the next 3 days before Sunday's announcement.

That would mean testing numbers of 250k in the space of 1 x week with a trending (extrapolated) infection number of (say) 125 worse case. That's half of 1% , and where , already so far, infections are contained in the identified clusters with no external community transmission from these clusters which will be quarantined until Saturday week.

Further facts relayed by QLD's Chief Medical Officer this morning is that the initial cases within the 63 so far were only infectious in the community for 2 days and new case growth are other students , family members and close contacts - all of whom are in quarantine straight away and where we had been masking up prior anyway.

There may be logistical inconveniences of scheduling , none of which I can believe are insurmountable with considered alternatives.

In the overall scheme of things - fast forward to the middle of next week , where we are pointing to no terminal issue - just increased caution with mindfulness , and the reality of community sport is that you've lost 10 days.

It may be too simplistic , perhaps unpopular with some , but I can't seriously believe an establishment of no external community transmission outside the schools/family clusters and a loss of 10 days is the death knell .

Cancelling the final round ? Sure . The first week of the finals the week after next ? Maybe squeezing in a mid week round to get back on track timing wise ? Who knows .

But surely a loss of 10 days effectively and proof of no serious community transmission is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Having said all of this, I am mindful to a degree of additional caution in not wanting to jump the Shark and run a risk (however minute) of further disruption to business and livelihoods.

Animal

Allen Oxlade (6)
If we are able to resume community sports next weekend, would it not make sense to forgo the remaining 2 rounds in lieu of a revised finals series. P1vP4 and P2vP3 in semis with the winners of each playing in finals the following week. Whilst not being perfect we would still see a on schedule premiership finals decided on log position play-offs. Just a thought.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
This is the weakest “main excuse” I have heard. just move the venue FFS.

We are hosting the Olympics in 2032. south east qld is flush with venues that could hold a finals series as a one off…

I’m guessing the QRU would rather a venue they can profit off compared to taking the financial hit of a free finals as there’s not too many closed venues they could charge a ticket for.

Don't shoot the messenger mate.

Honestly though it seems that way - I'm sure the QRU were expecting a decent turnout at Suncorp. They could also have hosted a number of fans even with restrictions in place as the venue itself is big enough for social distancing etc. There is probably concern that some of the club venues don't have the capacity to 'safely' hold too many people.

Unfortunately these are the cards we've been dealt.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
They could possibly let community sport go ahead without crowds. Then the ground / stadium doesn’t really matter, could easily hold it on Field 2 at Ballymore if a crowd doesn’t need to be factored in . Just need something temporary set up for the Nine/Stan crew.

I’d rather watch a GF at home on the telly than not have the premiership decided.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Last Saturday (yes, 5 days ago), the Government was happy to have sport played until 4pm. Nothing has happened subsequent to that to completely cancel the season. A cluster at Indooroopilly. Mostly kids and their wealthy parents. Nothing like the scale of south western Sydney in the multi-cultural communities.

Miles and Young, in a panic went off grid and cancelled the NRL for 24 hours (but not the trots) and then they were pulled into line by Emperor Anna.

The assumption is that they have contained the spread with this lockdown. It is unlikely to spread unless infectious people from this cluster go into the community. This weekend - no rugby. Next weekend - finals.

On a final note, Phil Clinton, you are a Debbie Downer. Are you sure you're a rugby fan with all your mail? Change your postman mate.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
On a final note, Phil Clinton, you are a Debbie Downer. Are you sure you're a rugby fan with all your mail? Change your postman mate.

You say that as if I make everything up mate. If the reality of the current situation is too tough for you, that’s fine, but no need to call someone out

I want nothing more than to see my team win a Premiership this year, but it’s better to leave expectations low and hope for the best. Your post makes you sound like one of those COVID conspiracy theorists who’ve been talking down the government throughout the whole situation, they must have replaced all the footy’s with tin foil hats at Shaw Rd, would make sense considering the standard of footy being played.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
QPR have made an call on possibilities for the season depending on if and when restrictions are lifted.

If lifted this Sunday the 08/08, the last two rounds of the regular season are to be considered cancelled with points allocated accordingly and finals progress as planned.

If restrictions are lifted a week later on Sunday the 15/08, major and preliminary finals are cancelled and the top four play 1v4 and 2v4 for spot in the GF

If not lifted by the 15/08 another rethink will be required.

At this stage it covers 1st/2nd grade , Women’s and Colts 1

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
QPR have made an call on possibilities for the season depending on if and when restrictions are lifted.

If lifted this Sunday the 08/08, the last two rounds of the regular season are to be considered cancelled with points allocated accordingly and finals progress as planned.

If restrictions are lifted a week later on Sunday the 15/08, major and preliminary finals are cancelled and the top four play 1v4 and 2v4 for spot in the GF

Thanks for this. When you say the last 2 x rounds canceled and points allocated I assume you mean they would be considered as drawn contests with points allocated accordingly ?

Feels like we might be back on line 14th / 15th ( with an extra 2-3 days being thrown in to the back of Sunday. Possibly a Tuesday lifting.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)

It covers all grades. Ladders have been amended dependent on which grades completed a full round. Unlucky for 2nd grade where clubs completed Rnd 17 matches and got a positive result but thems the breaks. See link below
https://qld.rugby/news/2021/08/06/q...UZYjxj2QWTi0q6rU3IHHisDX7h4goaQLW6kLVZ2ZfGzlg

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh I see GPS are seeking clarification over the stripping of the points in 2nd grade as that would have got them into Finals.