• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am yet to hear from a Wests supporter who has been humble in defeat yesterday. Instead of finding things to blame, how about analysing why your team gave up a 24 -3 lead with a backline that was cutting GPS to shreds and had three Super Rugby players in it.

Also I don't think the Wests supporters group has been hard done by - geographically the closest club to GPS, the 12min drive from Sylvan Rd isn't exactly a challenge, there were plenty of supporters there.

Taking a loss isn't easy, but do you think the players in the change room would be blowing up about the venue after the game? No, they probably cared more about how they let that game slip away.
A few GPS people not humble in victory either.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Only a few in on the tipping this week. Table with the GF this week looks like this.

Heavy Unit
36​
NJ
36​
Keeno
35​
Learning Curve
35​
Rugby Follower
30​
Sage Too
30​
MeanGreen
29​
Jets
28​
Zinzan Brooke
28​
SouthernX
26​
Happyman
22​
Nomad
22​
Cam G
20​
Paty305
20​
Marbig
18​
Jonte
17​
Hound
16​
Linespeed
16​
Beerad
15​
Jumpman
14​
Dusky W
11​
PhatMik
6​
DB
4​
Fisherman123
4​
Pick and Drive
4​
ben
3​
Graham Welsh
2​
Daniel 10
1​
Gary
1​

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Big day for GPS coming up - Womens, Colts 1 and Prems all at Suncorp.

Would be quite the season if they could grab all three - I don't know the last time the club even had Prems and Colts 1 both playing in Grand Finals in the same year, possibly never.
2007 Sunnybank won Premier grade and Colts 1. Premier grade won by close to 90 over the Breakers and Colts had a big comeback over GPS.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
A few GPS people not humble in victory either.
I'm sure that's the case, but at the end of the day GPS are playing next week, and West's aren't.

I know the game was quite personal for some supporters and clubmen as things had soured with Elwee prior to his departure. The narrative was playing out like he was going to exact sweet revenge on the club at their home ground. But it wasn't to be.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A big shout out to the much maligned(on this forum) Souths for getting into the GF's in 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade and 6th grade. Narrowly missed out in 5ths. Congrats Easts, you played very well.
1st grade and Colts are works in progress with some promising signs.
To all on this forum who have aired their opinions on the "culture" at Souths, the Magpies remain a force.
It was very pleasing to see the many, many members of the 1st grade squad on the sidelines at Norths and GPS on both Saturday and Sunday, supporting their clubmates in the lower grades.
Let's get the job done on Saturday at Sunnybank and put a few more pieces of silverware in the Trophy cabinet and penants on the wall.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
This Sunday will be UQ’s sixth appearance on the trot in the big dance and third time in that run that they will be opposing GPS , for one win each so far.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
A big shout out to the much maligned(on this forum) Souths for getting into the GF's in 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade and 6th grade. Narrowly missed out in 5ths. Congrats Easts, you played very well.
1st grade and Colts are works in progress with some promising signs.
To all on this forum who have aired their opinions on the "culture" at Souths, the Magpies remain a force.
It was very pleasing to see the many, many members of the 1st grade squad on the sidelines at Norths and GPS on both Saturday and Sunday, supporting their clubmates in the lower grades.
Let's get the job done on Saturday at Sunnybank and put a few more pieces of silverware in the Trophy cabinet and penants on the wall.
Souths must be doing some things right to get into GF's with those teams so good on them.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought both semi's were pretty high quality games and for the neutral had a bit of everything you want - ie uncertainty of result, quality rugby and a good sprinkling of super rugby players to spark some extra interest and quality.

I don't watch a lot of hospital cup games but these games were certainly a step up on past games I have watched which made for good finals footy. Things look pretty healthy in QLD rugby.
It was heaven with two days of quality rugger, with decent crowds and comradeship. Close games giving us a glimpse of some new players coming through. The Colts 1 game between GPS and Brothers is the best quality of game I have ever seen at this level. Australian rugby on the rise.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
It was heaven with two days of quality rugger, with decent crowds and comradeship. Close games giving us a glimpse of some new players coming through. The Colts 1 game between GPS and Brothers is the best quality of game I have ever seen at this level Australian rugby on the rise.
Jeeps Colts 1 team are a real team that play a very old fashioned brand of Rugby in the way it’s meant to be played and surprise , surprise !!!- it’s a highly effective one. Too much of modern thinking is about size at all costs yet you see a team like this that isn’t blessed with super size (but big enough at 1, 3 and 6) and just play together and make smart decisions and keep the ball alive and share it well , so , everyone runs together in the trust that the ball will find the open support runner.

Brothers were oooookkkkk but outside of Werchon , Bridgeman, Lowrie and Schramm (off bench) were pretty underwhelming and barely average to be honest

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Jeeps Colts 1 team are a real team that play a very old fashioned brand of Rugby in the way it’s meant to be played and surprise , surprise !!!- it’s a highly effective one. Too much of modern thinking is about size at all costs yet you see a team like this that isn’t blessed with super size (but big enough at 1, 3 and 6) and just play together and make smart decisions and keep the ball alive and share it well , so , everyone runs together in the trust that the ball will find the open support runner.

Brothers were oooookkkkk but outside of Werchon , Bridgeman, Lowrie and Schramm (off bench) were pretty underwhelming and barely average to be honest
GPS were by far the bigger team, until Brothers bench props come on. GPS set piece won them the game.
Are you backing GPS or Easts in the GF? You had Bond to beat Easts in the semi and Bond couldn’t get over the line.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
GPS were by far the bigger team, until Brothers bench props come on. GPS set piece won them the game.
Are you backing GPS or Easts in the GF? You had Bond to beat Easts in the semi and Bond couldn’t get over the line.
JD has slimmed down a fair bit and is nowhere near as bulky after his hamstring comeback. Bro 3 has size and can run a ball but scrummaging is consistently poor. Granted Pistol Pete is Bigger than Father Mulcahy. Hookers are a wash. Bros are bigger at lock and 7/8 but Jeeps are bigger at 6 and 9. Bros Centres looked bigger but were very ordinary and Moller had his way with Roza turning in his usual defensive turn. But the depth upfront that was meant to be trump turned out to be a dump including the inability to take care of business against Jeeps replacement prop Bad Blayke Adams who looks like Oscar Varrichio might fancy his chances in packing against him , and was wheeled out after JD got 10 in the bin. I think from one of those scrums in the red zone Floyd may have scored (or beat the defense on a big blind to send it to Barker who uncharacteristically spilled a gimme that would have inflated the scoreline)

Brothers definitely had more strategic size weapons and just couldn’t capitalise.

Anyway…for the fact I’ve already tipped against Easts in the Semi tells you what my answer to your question is for the GF . I still think they are rubbish and Jeeps by at least 10.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
premier Rugby and Under 20 player of the year announced tomorrow.
Matt Giquel for the player of the year?

I assume Mac Grealy will be the Under 20 winner.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah, I am not sure he should win it again. He is still finding his way. Why don't they award it to a player who actually plays in the under 20 comp?

Kirk or Scotty from Easts (and Startrek) have been good all season, Cullin Cooper-Jones has the best double barreled name in the QPR & showed his worth yesterday and GPS have a few others like Bas Ward that have played well all year, Louis Werchon was good for Brothers and Marlon Jones was probably Bond's standout.

I hope they find merit in these guys. I don't know how Grealy would have gone for UQ Colts. Ripley went ok in one game and got a Rebels contract. Sometimes the best players in a foreign environment don't put it together. Case in point - a couple of Brothers' bench stars had unhappy 2021 Colts debuts yesterday.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Heenan and Arnold squaring off this weekend might be the first time a QPR coach is coaching against one of their former QPR players in a Grand Final? I’m not 100% on the timing of it but I have a feeling Heenan coached Shane briefly when he was at GPS back in the mid 2000s. Happy to be corrected.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
premier Rugby and Under 20 player of the year announced tomorrow.
Matt Giquel for the player of the year?

I assume Mac Grealy will be the Under 20 winner.
Yes Giquel for player of the year.
Surely Carter Gordon for U20’s if they are going to pick from other than Colt’s players. Then again the move to the Rebels probably not favourable to the selectors if the Reds are involved. My next options would be Grealy and Roach. If they are picking only from Colts, I’d go Nick Baker from GPS.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I agree that its Grealy if U20 is the only classification - but if it is U20 from Colts you really have to look at individual MVP type performance where their teams probably wouldn’t have been quite where they were without them. In that regard I can only think of 3 x names

1. Floyd Aubrey ( GPS )
2. Marlon Jones ( Bond )
3. Louis Werchon (Brothers)