• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
With Floyd Aubrey winning the Colts Player of the year, what are the thoughts about his future in the senior ranks?

Floyd hasn't really put a foot wrong so far in his rugby career, at 18 he's still got plenty of time to develop further, but do people see him being a success at Super Rugby level or higher?

Pretty sure most Jeeps followers would back Floyd in, but interested to see how unbiased judges perceive his floor/ceiling.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Talking of winning the big moments in games , are Tualima and Tuttle available for the GF?
No, Tuaina is out with stress fractures. Apparently, Rebels wanted Tuttle to drain some fluid (or something) out of his knee so he is right for day 1 of their 16-week pre-season. Something he usually plays with, no pain etc - more of a maintenance thing. Both are big losses.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
With Floyd Aubrey winning the Colts Player of the year, what are the thoughts about his future in the senior ranks?

Floyd hasn't really put a foot wrong so far in his rugby career, at 18 he's still got plenty of time to develop further, but do people see him being a success at Super Rugby level or higher?

Pretty sure most Jeeps followers would back Floyd in, but interested to see how unbiased judges perceive his floor/ceiling.
I am not a Jeeps supporter despite being labelled one by Bulldog - and I have been quite effusive in my praise of him in the Colts thread.

Ultimately I don’t see the Refs carrying Aubrey and Grealy. One of them will be elsewhere in the long run

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

I saw him play for the first time on the weekend and I would argue patience. He is talented bt did not look like a wow player for mine and given GPS's experience with Tom Kibble getting promoted early and now from what I understand finished due to injury. I would not put such a slight player into the harder contact without a bit more seasoning.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree Floyd looks talented but is slight in build, he wont be able to put on much size but needs a fair bit of conditioning to step up to next level.

I think he would be a good candidate for Aussie 7s in the short term actually.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I saw him play for the first time on the weekend and I would argue patience. He is talented bt did not look like a wow player for mine and given GPS's experience with Tom Kibble getting promoted early and now from what I understand finished due to injury. I would not put such a slight player into the harder contact without a bit more seasoning.
Kibble was a circa 98kg to 100kg combo back rower who, god bless him, played with an overly reckless style. His situation and Aubrey’s are not remotely comparable. I’m curious as to Adam’s call as to Floyd’s “slight build” and seeming inability to add size.

You don’t want a player like this adding too much size anyway. Sure I reckon he could use anywhere from an extra 3kg to 5kg as he develops , but anything more than that might go past the tipping point of what actually gives him his advantage.

Agree on the 7’s suggestion. Also think he could have success in the NRL.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Kibble was a circa 98kg to 100kg combo back rower who, god bless him, played with an overly reckless style. His situation and Aubrey’s are not remotely comparable. I’m curious as to Adam’s call as to Floyd’s “slight build” and seeming inability to add size.

You don’t want a player like this adding too much size anyway. Sure I reckon he could use anywhere from an extra 3kg to 5kg as he develops , but anything more than that might go past the tipping point of what actually gives him his advantage.

I just mean he has a small frame, people talk about bulking up for professionalism but if they have a small frame like him he won't be able to add too much without impacting on other aspects of his game like agility and speed. But in saying there's still a lot of conditioning which can be done instead of pure bulk to prepare for the rigours of the likes of super rugby.

I think he can be a success in Super Rugby, but it's just a bit slower for something with a smaller build to get start at a younger age, as opposed to someone like Petaia who was already 95kg at 17 when he debut'd. Hence why i think 7s might be a better short term option for him. Gets the conditioning, and the size of players and collisions in 7's is less so he could debut earlier.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)

I can certainly see why 7's rugby would suit Floyd perfectly, his footwork is a good as anyone I've seen in recent years apart from Kalyn Ponga and he's far from a one trick pony, but it seem that once you go down that road it's difficult to come back to the 15 man game at Super Rugby level.

Whatever happens there doesn't seem to be much point in him having another year in Colts, so we'll find out a lot more about his long term future next year when he goes up a level or two.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)
I just mean he has a small frame, people talk about bulking up for professionalism but if they have a small frame like him he won't be able to add too much without impacting on other aspects of his game like agility and speed. But in saying there's still a lot of conditioning which can be done instead of pure bulk to prepare for the rigours of the likes of super rugby.

I think he can be a success in Super Rugby, but it's just a bit slower for something with a smaller build to get start at a younger age, as opposed to someone like Petaia who was already 95kg at 17 when he debut'd. Hence why i think 7s might be a better short term option for him. Gets the conditioning, and the size of players and collisions in 7's is less so he could debut earlier.
It continues to concern me how a player's size is constantly an issue. Andrew Muirhead was told he was too small until he was picked un in the ITM cup and is now in Wallabies Camp. We have this fascination in kilos etc in players. If Damien Mackenzie was an aussie, he would struggle to get a gig. I for one cannot see how 3 extra kilos would make any possible difference to an outside back. Why don't we worry more about a player's skill, speed, rugby nouse before worrying about what they weigh. This is how we have ended up with 90-100kg robots in our Wallaby backlines that we tear our hair out constantly because they are "dumb" footballers and make incredibly poor decisions under pressure. We sit an marvel at the "natural" ability of All Blacks and in the same breath we judge players by their weight, height or bench press stats.

We need to find brilliant, natural footballers and refine their athletic ability rather than getting athletes and trying to teach them how to be footballers. Geo Aplon, Damien Mackenzie, Shane Williams are just some examples.

I have seen 70kg wingers that can tackle and 100kg winger that cant. Also everything in between.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Look at the NRL fullbacks. Ryan Papenhuyzen is 81kg and any club would have him. Young Jayden Campbell at the Titans is 78kg. A future star.

I see Floyd will be lost to rugby if people thinks he needs to be bigger. The additional size has slowed many a good young prospect down. If he gets to the ball faster than anyone else, who cares how big he is? He has skills and does things that others cannot, so hopefully the Reds develop him or I am sure another Super Rugby franchise will.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The fact he's stayed with Rugby for the time being is a big deal and hopefully he grows and matures enough to get a decent opportunity soon. People that know a lot more than us have seen some pretty amazing talent in the young guy.

A couple of the old heads down at GPS have a close relationship with Bellamy in the NRL. I've heard he was quietly spewing when Floyd committed to the Reds as he'd been hovering.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It continues to concern me how a player's size is constantly an issue. Andrew Muirhead was told he was too small until he was picked un in the ITM cup and is now in Wallabies Camp. We have this fascination in kilos etc in players. If Damien Mackenzie was an aussie, he would struggle to get a gig. I for one cannot see how 3 extra kilos would make any possible difference to an outside back. Why don't we worry more about a player's skill, speed, rugby nouse before worrying about what they weigh. This is how we have ended up with 90-100kg robots in our Wallaby backlines that we tear our hair out constantly because they are "dumb" footballers and make incredibly poor decisions under pressure. We sit an marvel at the "natural" ability of All Blacks and in the same breath we judge players by their weight, height or bench press stats.

We need to find brilliant, natural footballers and refine their athletic ability rather than getting athletes and trying to teach them how to be footballers. Geo Aplon, Damien Mackenzie, Shane Williams are just some examples.

I have seen 70kg wingers that can tackle and 100kg winger that cant. Also everything in between.

i think you’ve misinterpreted what I’ve said… I never said small players can’t make it, they just need the right conditioning.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Look at the NRL fullbacks. Ryan Papenhuyzen is 81kg and any club would have him. Young Jayden Campbell at the Titans is 78kg. A future star.

I see Floyd will be lost to rugby if people thinks he needs to be bigger. The additional size has slowed many a good young prospect down. If he gets to the ball faster than anyone else, who cares how big he is? He has skills and does things that others cannot, so hopefully the Reds develop him or I am sure another Super Rugby franchise will.

Never said he needs to be bigger, just said he needs the right conditioning

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)
I know I might be opening a can of worms here. I believe Floyd is the real deal and will be putting huge pressure on Grealy in the near future purely based on raw talent, speed and his natural ability to read the game. In saying that, we will eventually loose talented players like Floyd not only to the NRL but to Japan, USA and and ... Not because of their size or the fact that they are not the real deal but because signing a 17 year old that has not played one game in Australia from a highlight reel sends the wrong message. Can promise you that heaps of very talented QLD 10's are already sending out CV's after reading the headline, "Nothing finer than having a new Lynagh at Ballymore". Champions are not built on nostalgia but on guts and commitment. We should stop living in the past and protect the present to secure the future.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I know I might be opening a can of worms here. I believe Floyd is the real deal and will be putting huge pressure on Grealy in the near future purely based on raw talent, speed and his natural ability to read the game. In saying that, we will eventually loose talented players like Floyd not only to the NRL but to Japan, USA and and . Not because of their size or the fact that they are not the real deal but because signing a 17 year old that has not played one game in Australia from a highlight reel sends the wrong message. Can promise you that heaps of very talented QLD 10's are already sending out CV's after reading the headline, "Nothing finer than having a new Lynagh at Ballymore". Champions are not built on nostalgia but on guts and commitment. We should stop living in the past and protect the present to secure the future.
Preach on Brother.

Rugby has lost itself with this size obsession and pandering to a certain type.

League on the other hand has sped its game up, and in so doing, has very quickly upped the ante and over taken Rugby in the fundamental common skill component across both codes. Years ago it only used to be Phil Blake and Sterlo. Even Turvy and Terry Lamb weren't overly stylish players. Highly effective - but not stylish. Not even Wally (great game manager but not the skill of Blake or Sterlo in his prime. Even Bert Kenny.). Then Joey came along...Freddie too ....and so on .....but it was still a sprinkling where us Rugby guys would be like ....yeah cool we'd have 'em in Rugby .

But now every Club has them ( well except the Broncs and Dogs :) ) and even a few of them .

There is no question as Rugby has got mired in slowing its game down with an obsession about set piece (which is as boring as bat shit to the casual fan ) and technical mumbo jumbo from ego centric "vision" Coaches .......League has got its shit together and got the better speed/power Football athletes on offer - and skill development Coaches with good downstream implementation.

And bottom line 80% of the best and most influential players in the game are all between 83kg to 93kg - with League smacking Rugby's ass as "Rugby Men" continue to waffle on and fuck it up with the over obsession of size at the expense of skill and smarts.

Remember when Rugby prided itself as "the running game" and "running rugby" was celebrated and encouraged?

As I look back I wonder whether guys like Bernie Larkham and Chris Latham may have been the Last of the Mohicans

Last edited:

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I can certainly see why 7's rugby would suit Floyd perfectly, his footwork is a good as anyone I've seen in recent years apart from Kalyn Ponga and he's far from a one trick pony, but it seem that once you go down that road it's difficult to come back to the 15 man game at Super Rugby level.

Whatever happens there doesn't seem to be much point in him having another year in Colts, so we'll find out a lot more about his long term future next year when he goes up a level or two.
I'm tipping he'll have a lot of success in Prem Grade next year. It's not just his step / athleticism- he's a very very good decision maker and a guy that is capable of making others around him better.