• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Apologies to all, especially the GPS supporters, for my mess up in the GF tipping. I did it in a meeting at work as was distracted. GPS were deserved finalists and I should have taken a moment to do it properly.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yesterday's GF was Pat Morrey's 100th First Grade game, nice way celebrate the milestone. Pretty sure he has played in all of the six past GF's that UQ have made.

Thought both he and Richards spoke well during the presentations, plenty of respect shown by both captains.

Well done to all involved, Suncorp had a great atmosphere , plenty of noise made by supporters had the place feeling like it had a bigger crowd than what would have been there.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Kalani Thomas has been great the last few weeks, really showing why the Reds have shown so much faith in him.

Yeah absolutely he performed extremely well noting the disruption at 10 for UQ, he took on a lot more responsibility and a big role for a 19yr old. He was copping some real criticism on these forums earlier this year so its good to see him developing like this.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah absolutely he performed extremely well noting the disruption at 10 for UQ, he took on a lot more responsibility and a big role for a 19yr old. He was copping some real criticism on these forums earlier this year so its good to see him developing like this.
Kalani got noticeably better as the season went on, his first few games for UQ were far from memorable. Same for Nasser before his injury, he was showing improvement getting regular minutes playing a position he hadn't played prior to the Reds' switching him to #2.

The idea of young fellas doing their time and earning their stripes in QPR has merit.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
As too does the idea of bringing young fellas into professional squads to accelerate their development.
Absolutely, training within a professional squad is a great opportunity for these young lads. Not saying they should only get picked up from QPR , but there is value in them playing QPR.

There have been improvements in Thomas’ and Nasser’s games over the course of the QPR season that I’ve witnessed having seen every UQ game this year. Would say the same about Wallis, he looked out of whack early in the season at 7 , his natural game is that of a #8. He was awarded the Tony Shaw medal in the GF playing 7, that’s a big improvement from where he was in his first few outings this year playing open side.

That’s the value of “earning your stripes” . A lot of development happens getting regular minutes on the rugby field in the position you are wanting to develop in .

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Speaking of developing the young lads, it is good to see stability at the Reds with respect to coaching.

Good to see some of the pathways are still sort of semi-open for 2021 too...

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
My final notes on the QPR Grand Final that no one asked for:

1. UQ defensive structure, discipline and conditioning were outstanding. GPS didn't really offer much in attack (more on that to come) but regardless the UQ team never looked like giving up the fight.

2. UQ set piece was more than just solid this year, their lineout disruption especially at key moments was important and dominant.

3. GPS offered little in attack. I would have liked to see Aubrey on the bench to add some attacking variation, and would have replaced Vuta earlier. Richards made a comment in the pre-game about not letting UQ get away like Wests did... but they went out with the same side and game plan as the Wests game, and got the same result. Except this time couldn't come back.

GPS will need to do some serious recruiting for next year. Losing Gicquel will be massive, he's their standout attacking forward. Their other core forwards Richards, Byrne, Bartlett, Tualima (and Gorman) all play a similar starchy style game. They'll need a rangey backrrower who can break the line or create opportunities.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

1. UQ defensive structure, discipline and conditioning were outstanding. GPS didn't really offer much in attack (more on that to come) but regardless the UQ team never looked like giving up the fight.

2. UQ set piece was more than just solid this year, their lineout disruption especially at key moments was important and dominant.

3. GPS offered little in attack. I would have liked to see Aubrey on the bench to add some attacking variation, and would have replaced Vuta earlier. Richards made a comment in the pre-game about not letting UQ get away like Wests did. but they went out with the same side and game plan as the Wests game, and got the same result. Except this time couldn't come back.

GPS will need to do some serious recruiting for next year. Losing Gicquel will be massive, he's their standout attacking forward. Their other core forwards Richards, Byrne, Bartlett, Tualima (and Gorman) all play a similar starchy style game. They'll need a rangey backrrower who can break the line or create opportunities.
Your first point is key and a lot of it revolves around their conditioning.

Plenty in the UQ forward pack capable of playing the full 80, even both the starting props. When you consider the speed that UQ play with that is impressive.

But the biggest improvement from last year has been set piece. Still having nightmares about Easts' scrum dominance and subsequent yellow cards from last year's GF and the overthrow on our own lineout that lead to a try just before half time. It's been a massive turn around from the front row in particular. Hats off to props Davies and Richardson on how hard they have worked.

Last edited:

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Thought I would put a bit of a breakdown on my perception of the clubs and the seasons they had. both in press and across the grades.

UQ Obviously one of the best run clubs in the country. long term stability in coaching and excellent recruiting. Lets be honest won 1st grade by some distance and made the reserve grade grant final. The only very minor concerns for UQ are the colts did not make finals and the also the womens. 8.5/10

GPS had a great year making the GF in Prems, Womens and Colts 1 with the Colts one winning the premiership. They also took out the 4th grade GF. 8/10

Brothers Probably the first of the clubs that will be disappointed with the return. Brothers had a team that finished the comp stacked with Reds players and with the addition of Joe Powell looked good. Only just missed the GF and for a club as well resourced they only got the chocolates in 3rd grade. I know this is a low grade but compared to expectations and squad 6/10.

Wests What might have been for Wests. Had GPS dead to rights in the Semi Final and did not have the fitness to finish the job. Badly underperformed in Colts missing finals compared to the team they assembled and a low finish in Womens is not reflective of the talent. 6/10

Bond For mine the biggest disappointment of the season. Defence was terrible given they were my early season pick to made the big dance the play did not meet the cattle. Made finals in Womens, 2nd’s Colts 1and 2. They exhibit good depth but should have done better. 4/10

Easts Went from eh Penthouse to the other house this year but did have a strong finish to the season when the Reds came back unfortunately there poor start gave up to much ground to the teams in front. The Womens and Colts 1 got the wins 5/10

Souths
Showed some improvement early and finished the season poorly overall as a club they had a good season with 2nd through 6th grade all making finals winning both 2nd grade and 6ths. The Colts played better than the results and the Womens is progressing organically. Next year will be interesting as they probably need a couple of quality recruits to augment a deep club. 6/10

Sunnybank There are some real issues at the bank. The top grade team was very competitive and they struggled for numbers at training and lower down. Only the Women made finals after being dominant for so long. It is not a good sign that the Colts finished last. 3/10

Norths Despite only 2 wins this season there are some good signs at Norths. The program is building and you can see some good structures in place. Hopefully the other clubs do not pillage the playing group. 5/10

Special thanks to Jets for doing the tipping comp again this year.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Great analysis Happyman,

My only issue is with the 5/10 for Norths. 50% is a passing grade at most universities. I don't know how Norths can receive a pass mark when they're stuck at the bottom of the ladder, again.

You can pretty much copy and paste that commentary about 'the program is building and you can see good structures in place' for the last maybe 10 years at the club. In fact I reckon if you went into the last few years of the Premier Rugby conversations on this forum, you'd find that quote paraphrased each year.

I don't want to shit on the club but what is it going to take for them to change? Does there need to be a whole re-brand to try and refresh everything? Do away with the Norths Eagles and start a new club. They haven't been short of decent coaches or guys with good ideas in the last few years, but everyone seems to throw the toys out after 2 seasons and leave the place to burn.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thought I would put a bit of a breakdown on my perception of the clubs and the seasons they had. both in press and across the grades.

UQ Obviously one of the best run clubs in the country. long term stability in coaching and excellent recruiting. Lets be honest won 1st grade by some distance and made the reserve grade grant final. The only very minor concerns for UQ are the colts did not make finals and the also the womens. 8.5/10

GPS had a great year making the GF in Prems, Womens and Colts 1 with the Colts one winning the premiership. They also took out the 4th grade GF. 8/10

Brothers Probably the first of the clubs that will be disappointed with the return. Brothers had a team that finished the comp stacked with Reds players and with the addition of Joe Powell looked good. Only just missed the GF and for a club as well resourced they only got the chocolates in 3rd grade. I know this is a low grade but compared to expectations and squad 6/10.

Wests What might have been for Wests. Had GPS dead to rights in the Semi Final and did not have the fitness to finish the job. Badly underperformed in Colts missing finals compared to the team they assembled and a low finish in Womens is not reflective of the talent. 6/10

Bond For mine the biggest disappointment of the season. Defence was terrible given they were my early season pick to made the big dance the play did not meet the cattle. Made finals in Womens, 2nd’s Colts 1and 2. They exhibit good depth but should have done better. 4/10

Easts Went from eh Penthouse to the other house this year but did have a strong finish to the season when the Reds came back unfortunately there poor start gave up to much ground to the teams in front. The Womens and Colts 1 got the wins 5/10

Souths Showed some improvement early and finished the season poorly overall as a club they had a good season with 2nd through 6th grade all making finals winning both 2nd grade and 6ths. The Colts played better than the results and the Womens is progressing organically. Next year will be interesting as they probably need a couple of quality recruits to augment a deep club. 6/10

Sunnybank There are some real issues at the bank. The top grade team was very competitive and they struggled for numbers at training and lower down. Only the Women made finals after being dominant for so long. It is not a good sign that the Colts finished last. 3/10

Norths Despite only 2 wins this season there are some good signs at Norths. The program is building and you can see some good structures in place. Hopefully the other clubs do not pillage the playing group. 5/10

Special thanks to Jets for doing the tipping comp again this year.
UQ - Prems a well oiled machine and Reggies are about to get even stronger. Colts 2 - Joint Premiers and Colts 3 knocked out in Preliminary Final that suggest the depth (as always) coming through is for real.

GPS - Prems were disappointing in the big one. Colts 1 were a class act and played a very old fashioned and entertaining brand of Rugby - that if it is nurtured with the personnel that they have , and with Coach Arnold , has a chance to stay relevant in Prems over the next 2 or 3 seasons assuming a lot of these guys stick

Brothers - Hey love them or hate them they have a genuine tribal culture that takes them long into the fight. They'll address their Finals failures this year (by their standards) and they'll be back as the competition's Dick Dastardly next year

Bond - Agree Prems was a disappointing result

Easts - Seem to have quickly transformed into a Toiling Tiger vibe that will be in games but lack big time gamers when their Reds guys aren't around. No Asiata , Van Nek and Mowen and its a bit of a struggle.

Souths - Conditioning right through the Club is very poor. Not dynamic enough and quite simply just get run off their feet. Not enough focus or demand on a performance culture from top to bottom. Too many physically and mentally soft good time guys.

Sunnybank - Olympus has fallen. It seems as though they have been unravelling ever since Gavin Head bid adieu

Norths - A trendy darling that everyone wants to see do well but deep down no one really cares whether they do or they don't despite the piety. Biggest challenge is that they drag this land of opportunity vibe like an Albatross around their neck which might mean those that are looking for the land of opportunity have already one foot out the door when they arrive where that stepping stone does indeed get them to that land of opportunity

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)

3. GPS offered little in attack. I would have liked to see Aubrey on the bench to add some attacking variation, and would have replaced Vuta earlier. Richards made a comment in the pre-game about not letting UQ get away like Wests did. but they went out with the same side and game plan as the Wests game, and got the same result. Except this time couldn't come back.

I would speculate that that be Nick Baker , however , if he can stay fit and healthy , it could be a case of perfect timing for Lachie Howse to take the spot vacated by Matt Gicquel. His form through the Colts 1 Finals was very good and looked like he might be ready for his shot despite being a little under whelming through the best part of the regular season

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Great analysis Happyman,

My only issue is with the 5/10 for Norths. 50% is a passing grade at most universities. I don't know how Norths can receive a pass mark when they're stuck at the bottom of the ladder, again.

You can pretty much copy and paste that commentary about 'the program is building and you can see good structures in place' for the last maybe 10 years at the club. In fact I reckon if you went into the last few years of the Premier Rugby conversations on this forum, you'd find that quote paraphrased each year.

I don't want to shit on the club but what is it going to take for them to change? Does there need to be a whole re-brand to try and refresh everything? Do away with the Norths Eagles and start a new club. They haven't been short of decent coaches or guys with good ideas in the last few years, but everyone seems to throw the toys out after 2 seasons and leave the place to burn.
Thanks Phil

I went with 5 for Norths as that was about my expectation for them for this year so I gave them a pass.

Dean

I thought Souths were fit enough this year and making finals is 2nd's to 6th's speaks of pretty good depth. I think they were a Prop and a good 2nd rower short of being good.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
UQ - Prems a well oiled machine and Reggies are about to get even stronger. Colts 2 - Joint Premiers and Colts 3 knocked out in Preliminary Final that suggest the depth (as always) coming through is for real.

GPS - Prems were disappointing in the big one. Colts 1 were a class act and played a very old fashioned and entertaining brand of Rugby - that if it is nurtured with the personnel that they have , and with Coach Arnold , has a chance to stay relevant in Prems over the next 2 or 3 seasons assuming a lot of these guys stick

Brothers - Hey love them or hate them they have a genuine tribal culture that takes them long into the fight. They'll address their Finals failures this year (by their standards) and they'll be back as the competition's Dick Dastardly next year

Bond - Agree Prems was a disappointing result

Easts - Seem to have quickly transformed into a Toiling Tiger vibe that will be in games but lack big time gamers when their Reds guys aren't around. No Asiata , Van Nek and Mowen and its a bit of a struggle.

Souths - Conditioning right through the Club is very poor. Not dynamic enough and quite simply just get run off their feet. Not enough focus or demand on a performance culture from top to bottom. Too many physically and mentally soft good time guys.

Sunnybank - Olympus has fallen. It seems as though they have been unravelling ever since Gavin Head bid adieu

Norths - A trendy darling that everyone wants to see do well but deep down no one really cares whether they do or they don't despite the piety. Biggest challenge is that they drag this land of opportunity vibe like an Albatross around their neck which might mean those that are looking for the land of opportunity have already one foot out the door when they arrive where that stepping stone does indeed get them to that land of opportunity
Curious how you came to the assessment that South's conditioning was not just average or poor, but "very poor".

As someone affiliated with the club, if you managed to catch the Semi Final and Grand Final in Reserve Grade, you would have seen a side that came from behind at halftime in both games to run over the top of Bond and Uni, both teams that are deemed to be "conditioned".

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Curious how you came to the assessment that South's conditioning was not just average or poor, but "very poor".

As someone affiliated with the club, if you managed to catch the Semi Final and Grand Final in Reserve Grade, you would have seen a side that came from behind at halftime in both games to run over the top of Bond and Uni, both teams that are deemed to be "conditioned".
Yes ...well done to Reserve Grade ....BUT ....for the personnel they had in Prems and Colts they should have done a lot better than what they did and Happy Man can make a point ( and a fair one ) that they improved over the course of the season (in Colts) ....BUT .....their style of play was one out and hammer boring and that suits a slow tempo that benefits an unfit team that is carrying too much ballast , because , its all they can do.

I will concede my original comment was a broad generalisation but I don't back away from it either .....compared to other Clubs , Souths need to get more fair dinkum on their approach and their conditioning

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Congrats to Feleti Kaitu’u for his potential Wallabies debut. His brother is playing Colts at GPS and looks good as well.

Honestly a few years ago if you told me Feleti would be a Wallaby I’d have laughed. He didn’t seem to have the discipline to play top level footy and looked undersized. But he had a good season with the Force and seems like a move out of Brisbane really helped him. Well done.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While the tipping was a bit hit and miss this year, didn't start until round 3 and I messed up the form for the GF I'd like to congratulate NJ who won by 1.

Thanks to everyone who played, even if it was for one week. I find it makes the season more enjoyable as I spend more time learning about other teams.