• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
My thoughts on the UQ scrum improved when the 1 dropped back into the row. A lot more power coming through the loose head with him at lock
The importance of the locks in how the scrum is performing often gets overlooked. It's called a tight five for a reason and there has been a fair bit of rotation through the locks this year with UQ. No doubt missing Connor Vest in that roll.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The importance of the locks in how the scrum is performing often gets overlooked. It's called a tight five for a reason and there has been a fair bit of rotation through the locks this year with UQ. No doubt missing Connor Vest in that roll.
What happened to Dylan Rowe? played most of the season to probably round 14 or so and then disappeared. Noticed he was at Bond but not in UQ colours?

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Giving UQ to much credit for their scrum improvement, losing Christian at the 30min mark is when UQs scrum improved - Brothers having 1st, 2nd Grade and Colts 1 on the same day was a blessing and a curse, Brothers had no fresh TH cover besides TBone who is predominantly a LH.

Do you keep a fresh front row on the bench to the detriment of 2nd Grade?

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
On a separate note I hear Angelo Smith from West and Dave Lene from SB are off to the Rebels on preseason contracts, potentially a few more West inclusions are on the cards.

QPR Challenge selectors better hurry along the selection pool is about to get smaller in the coming days.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
On a separate note I hear Angelo Smith from West and Dave Lene from SB are off to the Rebels on preseason contracts, potentially a few more West inclusions are on the cards.

QPR Challenge selectors better hurry along the selection pool is about to get smaller in the coming days.
do you know what position/types of players the two Rebels guys are? Reckon they'll get anywhere?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
do you know what position/types of players the two Rebels guys are? Reckon they'll get anywhere?
Angelo Smith is a lock. Just under 2m. Came from NZL most recently (he's Fijian). Has been awesome for wests. Very skillful. Not sure if it will translate to the next level.

Assume the other is Dave Feliuao Lene? A centre from the Bank with a good offload game. Samoan I believe.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wow good news hearing about Angelo Smith… gotta disagree Reg “on the concern” he’s skill sets may not translate at next level. Lot of athetism and ticker will make him succeed. If it’s not at lock he probably get in the mixer as a backrower for sure.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

What is going on at the Reds in the recruitment department?
6 from last year have left and only 1 new recruit announced.

Seems the rebels have an endless supply of $$$$$ to lock up plenty of talent.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What is going on at the Reds in the recruitment department?
6 from last year have left and only 1 new recruit announced.

Probably a discussion for the Reds threads, but I personally am just going to sit back and watch it all unfold in 2023.

I think the Reds are in for a real uphill battle, their Wallabies are either underperforming or not being selected, recruitment hasn't been great and a chunk of core players have left.

Wait until after RWC23 when the inevitable player movements start happening and hope to see some thoughtful recruitment/direction from the Reds then. I feel like my main highlight in 2023 will be blooding Lynagh at some point and hoping he looks solid at that level.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Angelo Smith is a lock. Just under 2m. Came from NZL most recently (he's Fijian). Has been awesome for wests. Very skillful. Not sure if it will translate to the next level.

Assume the other is Dave Feliuao Lene? A centre from the Bank with a good offload game. Samoan I believe.
Cheers Reg.

Looks like the Rebels haven't spent much. You reckon our ins are more expensive than our outs?

INS: Sam Talakai (Tokyo Sungoliath), Alex Mafi (Reds), Anaru Rangi (Shining Arcs), Tuaina Taii Tualima (Reds), Ryan Louwrens (Austin)

OUTS: Michael Wells (Force), Sef Fa’agase (Reds), James Hanson (TBC), Efi Maafu (Rouen), Ross Haylett-Petty (TBC), Young Tonumaipea (Melbourne Storm), Jeral Skelton (Canterbury Bankstown), Matt To’omua (Japan), Joe Powell (London Irish), Josh Hill (TBC)

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Cheers Reg.

Looks like the Rebels haven't spent much. You reckon our ins are more expensive than our outs?
With that ins/ outs list there is one clear indication.

Most outs are older players (28+) and with the recruiting happening they are chasing a lot of the 20-24 year olds.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
With that ins/ outs list there is one clear indication.

Most outs are older players (28+) and with the recruiting happening they are chasing a lot of the 20-24 year olds.

What?

Talakai, Rangi and Louwrens are all in their 30s.

Mafi is 26 this year, the only player in that bracket you mentioned is Tualima.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

What?

Talakai, Rangi and Louwrens are all in their 30s.

Mafi is 26 this year, the only player in that bracket you mentioned is Tualima.
Not the ones listed but the ones they are talking to around the QPR fields

Scouts are watching the colts programs in Brisbane very closely.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not the ones listed but the ones they are talking to around the QPR fields

Scouts are watching the colts programs in Brisbane very closely.

That is super confusing for everyone trying to follow along.

You directly quoted another poster who listed out a bunch of players that have been acquired and commented about player age.

But you reckon you're referring to a bunch of players that are being 'watched' and 'talked to'.

Anyway, don't be so confusing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Mouth watering clash setup for this Sunday. After their last clash both sides more or less know what they need to do, but the styles they'll want to play are pretty well in opposition to each other. Should make for an absolute cracker.

Uni will be buoyed by their improved scrum in the against Brothers, that was probably their major weakness against Wests the week before. Kicking remains a real issue though.

For Wests they'll have to have a really good think about how they manage their hookers - the line out fell to shit when Uelese came on last time and I'm not sure they can afford a repeat of that. Get it right though and it might be enough to suffocate Uni, particularly if they're holding a lead into the last quarter.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mouth watering clash setup for this Sunday. After their last clash both sides more or less know what they need to do, but the styles they'll want to play are pretty well in opposition to each other. Should make for an absolute cracker.

Uni will be buoyed by their improved scrum in the against Brothers, that was probably their major weakness against Wests the week before. Kicking remains a real issue though.

For Wests they'll have to have a really good think about how they manage their hookers - the line out fell to shit when Uelese came on last time and I'm not sure they can afford a repeat of that. Get it right though and it might be enough to suffocate Uni, particularly if they're holding a lead into the last quarter.

Dobbins has to start. Uni have a lot of all ballers and Wests need all hands on deck to counter. I'd also be starting Henry at 12 outside of Gordon because composure will be key. Not sure what that means at 13 - perhaps Filipo. Discipline also vital. It should have cost Wests the game a couple of weeks ago.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Dobbins has to start. Uni have a lot of all ballers and Wests need all hands on deck to counter. I'd also be starting Henry at 12 outside of Gordon because composure will be key. Not sure what that means at 13 - perhaps Filipo. Discipline also vital. It should have cost Wests the game a couple of weeks ago.

Fletcher Spicer was in a moon boot last game of the regular season. He’d be my choice for 13 (if Petaia is unavailable)

Spicer has had a great year for the dogs, hasn’t lost his job yet to any rep player returning. There was a game once this season he came off the bench but my understanding that was illness related cause he couldn’t make training during the week.