• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I am not sure the Reds are really going to miss 40 blokes who can't get to Suncorp. I'm sure Dalby will appreciate those guys chucking some money into their bar more than the Reds will. They've got bigger problems with their gameday product, like a distinct lack of marketing this season, ask anyone outside the regular rugby circles when the Reds are playing and the answer is 'who?'. Also would be nice to have a game or two played on Sunday afternoon to get the whole family down.

But from a viewership standpoint in general it is an odd decision to kick-off so late. You would think the blokes playing would at least want to watch the game on TV.
Big day in Dalby
2 x colts games
1 x Womens
4ths, 3rds, 2nds and First grade

lots of game minutes to fit in especially given most are a three way round robin set up.

Just got message from an organizer and it looks like about 500+ players and team support tangled up for the day.

Means great $$$ in the coffers if everyone buys a beer and burger.

So when the Reds go to the bush its a good thing but when QPR does it is a no-no?

Scheduled because QPR starts in earnest after east and Downs Rugby starts on 9 April. Last opportunity.

Why don't Reds schedule some Sunday afternoon games if they want bigger crowds or make the pricing a little more reasonable? Or maybe have some curtain raiser games and make a day of it?
BJRU play all their games on a Sunday, its no win situation

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Unless the weekend was organise and schedule last week which we know it wasn’t there’s no excuse to have hundreds of potential spectators/players/support staff at Dalby instead of Suncorp. It is bad look. Those who say it’s ok obviously don’t support the Reds by attending their game. A real Rugby fan don’t need marketing - it’s all on Facebook and websites.

I think all rugby clubs involved suffer from this sort of scheduling and lack of looking at the calendar.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
So when the Reds go to the bush its a good thing but when QPR does it is a no-no?

Scheduled because QPR starts in earnest after east and Downs Rugby starts on 9 April. Last opportunity.

Why don't Reds schedule some Sunday afternoon games if they want bigger crowds or make the pricing a little more reasonable? Or maybe have some curtain raiser games and make a day of it?
Do the Reds go to the bush when the QPR is on? Do you mean to NZ?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Unless the weekend was organise and schedule last week which we know it wasn’t there’s no excuse to have hundreds of potential spectators/players/support staff at Dalby instead of Suncorp. It is bad look. Those who say it’s ok obviously don’t support the Reds by attending their game. A real Rugby fan don’t need marketing - it’s all on Facebook and websites.

I think all rugby clubs involved suffer from this sort of scheduling and lack of looking at the calendar.
If the reds coffers are so dependent on the funds from 400 club players in at GPS and UQ then they are in a bigger hole then we thought.

Maybe time to look at what he Broncos do in the marketing space. Been a shit unsuccessful team for 2-3 years but still put 30 000 plus into lang park on a sunday arvo game, which BTW is traditional RL club day. Something is working I suggest and might be worth learning from.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

This is pretty disconnected opinion from grassroots rugby I reckon.

The Reds in particular have been very polarising over the last 10 years (same could be said about the Tahs for the NSW fans), periods of success and then periods of serious distain. A 'real rugby fan' doesn't need to be attending Suncorp stadium.

Most fans in Brisbane have stronger ties to clubland, after all that was the original top grade of rugby played before Super Rugby came in. I know that is a generalisation, but there is a reason rugby clubs in Brisbane have generally pulled good crowds and player numbers all through the periods of Reds crapness, whilst the Reds have struggled to gain a foothold for a number of years, really since 2011 they've still struggled to pull consistently great crowds to Suncorp, covid didn't help of course!

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
If the reds coffers are so dependent on the funds from 400 club players in at GPS and UQ then they are in a bigger hole then we thought.

Maybe time to look at what he Broncos do in the marketing space. Been a shit unsuccessful team for 2-3 years but still put 30 000 plus into lang park on a sunday arvo game, which BTW is traditional RL club day. Something is working I suggest and might be worth learning from.
Like speeding up the game and obliterating 10 to 12 minutes of game time over 80 minutes in re-setting scrums ? Come to think of it rolling mauls off line outs are slow and boring as well and aren't doing much to enhance "the product".

Like, in League, you have seen a move away from the big man who likely wasn't carrying the right type of weight and in the modern context can't keep up with a sped up game. Inevitably , the same will have to happen in Rugby if it is to stay relevant.

Traditionalists can let me have it if they like but its not great for the game when you have a few Mohicans arguing who's going to be the last of the bunch as the game falls further behind other sports that are better packaged and presented.

This being a bit of a side note to the main point of discussion in Franchise Loyalty v Club Loyalty.

In total agreement with those that believe a trip to the Country on the same day of a Super Rugby game shouldn't matter a pinch of shits difference. A bit of a nonsense argument really.

If anything, good to see cultural alignment of the game here in Queensland in maintaining productive links between City and Country that has been led by the Reds preseason endeavours and now carried on by a couple of Clubs. Good stuff.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Like speeding up the game and obliterating 10 to 12 minutes of game time over 80 minutes in re-setting scrums ? Come think of it rolling mauls off line outs are slow and boring as well and aren't doing much to enhance "the product".

Traditionalists can let me have it if they like but its not great for the game when you have a few Mohicans arguing who's going to be the last of the bunch as the game falls further behind other sports that are better packaged and presented.

Don't touch my scrums - but geez I'd get rid of mauls (or at least majorly overhaul them) in a heartbeat. The game has come so far in terms of creating more defined rules about what constitutes an obstruction in general play, yet as long as you pull the ball down from a lineout, you can place 14 blokes in front of your player and go over.

Considering this is a club rugby forum I'll circle back to that neck of the woods - I don't think mauls are as abused at club level like they are at Super Rugby and internationals. I'm guessing teams don't practice them as much and refs probably aren't as diligent in terms of collapsing tactics (if we are talking anything below reggies the linesman aren't able to call on it either) so it's hard to weaponize them as effectively.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
I would agree with the trip to the country and game time scheduling clash being a non-issue if there were lots of Reds v Brumbies games in a season at home. But there's one. It is the flagship event for the Reds this year. Imagine trying to encourage sponsors and membership/season packages when the average rugby punter (GGR forum) doesn't care. I know Stan is a lot cheaper but it's never the same unless you're there at the game.

Anyway, back to club land. There are more trials next week and then Easter and then first round. (Reds are in Melbourne v Hurricanes that night)

UQ v Wests and Brothers v GPS seem to the be the stand out games in Round 1. All on Stan too so don't think you have to go to St Lucia or Crosby.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I would agree with the trip to the country and game time scheduling clash being a non-issue if there were lots of Reds v Brumbies games in a season at home. But there's one. It is the flagship event for the Reds this year. Imagine trying to encourage sponsors and membership/season packages when the average rugby punter (GGR forum) doesn't care. I know Stan is a lot cheaper but it's never the same unless you're there at the game.

Anyway, back to club land. There are more trials next week and then Easter and then first round. (Reds are in Melbourne v Hurricanes that night)

UQ v Wests and Brothers v GPS seem to the be the stand out games in Round 1. All on Stan too so don't think you have to go to St Lucia or Crosby.
For me I will be at a suburban ground for round one.
I can get close to the sideline or sit back on the hill / grandstand
I can mingle with the players / coaches / managers pre and post match
I pay a normal price for a beer and some food with quick service
I can watch a day full of rugby (colts, women, grades) for the one entry price ($0 - unless its the filth paddock)
I can socialize with all the other old "has beens" without and pretention.

For some reason when I leave a lang park game I feel like I have skinned, and told to enjoy it.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
For me I will be at a suburban ground for round one.
I can get close to the sideline or sit back on the hill / grandstand
I can mingle with the players / coaches / managers pre and post match
I pay a normal price for a beer and some food with quick service
I can watch a day full of rugby (colts, women, grades) for the one entry price ($0 - unless its the filth paddock)
There is something pretty spesh about Brisbane in Winter and being around some of the grounds that do have meaning if you've grown up with Rugby.

They all have their own character and for all the reasons you mention it's a good way to spend a day at this time of the year. Except on Stradbroke Day. :)

Pot of greed

Frank Row (1)
New bloke here bit of insight into the dalby/gps/uq trial

This isn’t the first time this has happened gps sent 3’s, 4’s and 5’s out last year to play the wheatman there’s a big connection between the clubs with lots of boys from out that way going to school with blokes from gps and then also playing colts footy while studying before heading back home. Bit of a similar connection with uq for some of these fellas as well.

Dont’t see anything wrong with maintaining and strengthening relationships with grassroots clubs out west it’s beneficial for everyone involved. To people arguing why take away from the reds home game maybe if they showed just a hint of interest in supporting grassroots and prem land they’d get more people to the games. Suburban footy is just a better more exciting brand of footy that the reds can’t compete with

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

UQ prems beat GPS 17-12 in Dalby.
UQ took 4 tight head scrums by push over.
UQ no 2, 3, 4, 5 all still eligible to play Colts. No1 and 7 are in second year of grades. No 6 first year of grades. Not sure on the No 8. That is a very young forward pack to clearly dominated the GPS outfit.

great day of rugby and should be done more often.

congrats to the Dalby outfit for there preparations and the 2 Brisbane clubs for the courage to put it all together.