• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What is the drainage like at Ballymore? Obviously not usable at the moment but I wonder if the fields there could be used in future seasons as contingencies when clubs opt not to play due to wet weather.

Without trying to turn this thread into the bureau of meteorology, they're predicting Brisbane's 'wet season' could be similar next year at least, maybe even the year after. Would be good to have a venue available as backup when that happens.

Of course it again comes back to the issue of the home team missing out on canteen money etc. but maybe if they've made the call to cancel games and an alternative option is available so there is no need for makeups, that becomes the trade off.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
and we wonder why so few reds in the wallabies.

Spend all our efforts looking after everyone else instead of developing our competition (breeding ground)

you have flawed logic mate.

Wouldn’t these super rugby calibre players lift the level of competition in qpr hence improving quality of players development? (Just like same thing happening with rebels mercanaries)

“a rising tide lifts all boats”

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

you have flawed logic mate.

Wouldn’t these super rugby calibre players lift the level of competition in qpr hence improving quality of players development? (Just like same thing happening with rebels mercanaries)

“a rising tide lifts all boats”
except you have less boats to rise

or in the reality of it boats sailing for better seas.

you miss my point i think.

we should make the competition better ( ie paid players) so it can ebe filled up with reds and wallaby eligible talent. You know all those youngsters coming out of the schools nursery we have already.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Talent Finder - I am very confused where you stand, as I am sure most posters are.

Above you mentioned 'all those youngsters coming out schools nursery' but in previous posts you have mentioned not like players who 'come through the traditional schoolboy pathways because they are soft'.

I am not sure there is a winning formula for you. Adding these Fijian blokes who don't have a proper club competition is a good thing for everyone. The club players who need to 'harden up' as you've mentioned before will get that, because they've got 120kg Fijians belting them at training and on game days.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
9 x 23 = 207 players getting a first grade opportunity in their Club's first choice XV. Of that 207, I would say a maximum of 20 who are not already contracted have realistic professional aspirations (incl. lower leagues like US, Romania, Italy etc). The injection of 6-10 Rebels and 6-10 Drua is not going to get in the way of that.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Blyth brothers named in the row for Bond tomorrow. I know they started at least once together last year, but no doubt would still be a buzz for them.

Blake and Jeans also named in the starting lineup .

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Talent Finder - I am very confused where you stand, as I am sure most posters are.

Above you mentioned 'all those youngsters coming out schools nursery' but in previous posts you have mentioned not like players who 'come through the traditional schoolboy pathways because they are soft'.

I am not sure there is a winning formula for you. Adding these Fijian blokes who don't have a proper club competition is a good thing for everyone. The club players who need to 'harden up' as you've mentioned before will get that, because they've got 120kg Fijians belting them at training and on game days.
I think @TalentFinder is suggesting many who come into prem teams from Super should play on merit I personally hate it when players come back and frankly are not as good as the club player they replace. super players can add a great deal to a club or not.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Gutsy effort Norths in Prems as well - monstored the Uni pack in the scrum at times with their old club member Brad Kuhn spending considerable time going backwards. With 1minute to go Norths could have stolen the win, so good to see Uni go for try instead of line and ending play when they could have lost the match - got the try they deserved - well done.

Where was Zander? Was he seen at the field?

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Gutsy effort Norths in Prems as well - monstored the Uni pack in the scrum at times with their old club member Brad Kuhn spending considerable time going backwards. With 1minute to go Norths could have stolen the win, so good to see Uni go for try instead of line and ending play when they could have lost the match - got the try they deserved - well done.

Where was Zander? Was he seen at the field?
I went out to Norths seen as though Brothers cancelled all but prems and geez you have to feel for the eagles. Some incredibly dubious refereeing decisions all going against the eagles who in my opinion were the better team.
Be interested to see others opinions of the ref, as there were many punters giving him a serve after full time

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I went out to Norths seen as though Brothers cancelled all but prems and geez you have to feel for the eagles. Some incredibly dubious refereeing decisions all going against the eagles who in my opinion were the better team.
Be interested to see others opinions of the ref, as there were many punters giving him
Be interested to see others opinions of the ref, as there were many punters giving him a serve after full time
Underdogs rarely get the benefit these days - to Norths credit they hung in bloody well - good to see them get a win - all they have to do is work their Sunshine Coast (great talent provider Wilson / Chapman /lngbridges etc n ) and northern corridor - feed em jobs, show them hospitality n keep the good coaches they will improve.
Have to say though Veresa has scored 4 tries in 3 matches for GPS already so live to know the drill there.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Bond v Sunnybank yesterday

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

That was Norths chance to claim a top 4 scalp this year, UQ are very out of form. Any other team yesterday would have put the Heavies to the sword.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Huge penalty try win for Wests at the buzzer yesterday against Brothers, at Crosby. I honestly expected the ref to have one more regular penalty but he must have ruled the Brothers collapse was cynical.

GPS also did well to get up at Easts. I wouldn’t want to be on jersey cleaning duty.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Huge penalty try win for Wests at the buzzer yesterday against Brothers, at Crosby. I honestly expected the ref to have one more regular penalty but he must have ruled the Brothers collapse was cynical.

GPS also did well to get up at Easts. I wouldn’t want to be on jersey cleaning duty.
Both Brothers and Easts field look like potato patches after yesterday so expect so impact injuries in the back half of the season.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

step their development

Dont put schoolboys straight into super rugby squads

Keep as many of them playing in a great quality QPR as possible so the Super Rugby contracts are actually competed for.

QPR has been neglected and now that NRC seems buried, The QPR and Shute Shield need upgrading to fill the space.