• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

What’s the best? Bond?
Wests is pretty good except for the bar area blocking the view
Sunnybank is good but can get congested
Always find a reasonable spot at Brothers

Bond, Norths, Easts and GPS would be all about equal for spectators.

Souths would be equal with UQ towards the worst

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Wests is pretty good except for the bar area blocking the view
Sunnybank is good but can get congested
Always find a reasonable spot at Brothers

Bond, Norths, Easts and GPS would be all about equal for spectators.

Souths would be equal with UQ towards the worst
Bond and Norths should not be on the same level as Easts and GPS, with the greatest respect.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bottomley need more investment than the current work on field and drainage. But it is a good start.
Ashgrove development started.
Albion look like will be amazing.
Toowong need more work on finding space for warm up and field 2 area.
Pretty sure Chipsy Wood have plan?

Should be a few good inner city rugby club facility in not too distant future.
Then Ballymore…

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Pretty sure Chipsy Wood have plan?

Whilst it’s not ideal having fields run east to west (due to afternoon sun)

I wonder if there’s enough space at Souths if you were to knock down the clubhouse, build a new clubhouse in northern end of current configuration of chipsywood and then have 2 fields side by side running east to west. (Might require a bit of earth works down the west part of clubhouse)

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Whilst it’s not ideal having fields run east to west (due to afternoon sun)

I wonder if there’s enough space at Souths if you were to knock down the clubhouse, build a new clubhouse in northern end of current configuration of chipsywood and then have 2 fields side by side running east to west. (Might require a bit of earth works down the west part of clubhouse)
Please remember that Souths were blocked by the Planning Court from building a 2nd field in Yeronga Park. It cost the Club hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees etc. It has been quite a few years since that decision, which was the result of local activists' campaign of deceit and maybe there is a possibility that a development proposal will be resubmitted.
Yeronga Park is heritage listed and any redevelopment has many hurdles to overcome.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Please remember that Souths were blocked by the Planning Court from building a 2nd field in Yeronga Park. It cost the Club hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees etc. It has been quite a few years since that decision, which was the result of local activists' campaign of deceit and maybe there is a possibility that a development proposal will be resubmitted.
Yeronga Park is heritage listed and any redevelopment has many hurdles to overcome.
Not to mention it's a long term lease from council.
I scoff at the suggestion it's one of the worst fields to spectate though. It's got beautiful surroundings and a warm atmosphere. Plenty of parking if you take a little stroll.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
good result for the tigers yesterday at the kennel. They won most of the games (except Colts 2 and 5th grade)

bit of a log jam at the top of table. Easts is going to cause a bit of headaches for anyone they still have to play.

As for wests. They need to bounce back this upcoming game - bond down the M1 is not a easy task

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whenever teams lose games someone is always going to be upset, you cannot always blame the coach.....I would suggest recruitment is the issue in my opinion, you can pick holes in other things (coaching, culture, discipline blah blah blah) but they do not have enough Premier Grade talent to compete this year. As much as I love Stretches Mo he is not a Premier Grade 10 and Phransis is far from his best at TH, these are core positions that need high quality players to compete.
I am struggling a bit to understand why Souths Prems are "strugglers" and yet the Magpies are at the top of the table in Reggies and Third grade. Seems like there is a problem with "self selection" or grade stacking to win premierships or something else in the senior grades??

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am struggling a bit to understand why Souths Prems are "strugglers" and yet the Magpies are at the top of the table in Reggies and Third grade. Seems like there is a problem with "self selection" or grade stacking to win premierships or something else in the senior grades??
It is strange - is something is going down?
Most guys want to play in the highest grade they can except at Chipsy Wood!
I won’t poke the South’s bear and dare to ask - please explain!

Last edited:

Rugbynovice

Stan Wickham (3)
Speaking of strange things - what is with West's second grade? Surely you would expect a better ranking than 7th given their constant injection of professional players into prems

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Speaking of strange things - what is with West's second grade? Surely you would expect a better ranking than 7th given their constant injection of professional players into prems

agree I think they should have a better record.

1st, 3rd and 4th grade all trending towards playoffs footy.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have had a more than 50 year connection with Souths and have a close association with Reggies and 1st Grade.
All this rubbish that guys don't want to play 1st Grade, and we are stacking in 2nds and 3rds is absolute rot. I see Reggies players before every session speaking with coaches about what they need to do to play Prems.

The club has had a full rebuild which is not finished. Prems regularly run out up to 10 players who came through the Colts system and Reggies do the same. The Prems and Reggies players are the same age and in most positions they are on similar levels. Prems are building something, which in the next year or 2, is going to blossom in to a Premiership.

3rds and Reggies are more advanced with results as the competions are easier, Reggies won the comp last year, 3rds were minor Premiers and Grand Finalists(after receiving the Wooden Spoon the previous year) and 4ths were Grand Finalists. This is testament to the work done on the rebuild and changes in the club like no fresh benches and selecting 1st to 5th Grade on merit each week.

South's have taken an approach to rebuild that differs to a club like Wests who have an approach to parachute a whole team in, often week to week, the majority with no previous ties to the club. I would be more concerned with why your Reserve Grade is running 7th when you are running out a semi professional team in 1st Grade. I would also be more concerned with what the state of your club will be when the money runs out and the coach leaves and all the players follow, maybe then you might have to take a sustainable approach to building a club. I would also probably keep my nose out of South's when your club has not won a competition in any senior grade other than your flagship Friday night team, since 2006.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
South's have taken an approach to rebuild that differs to a club like Wests who have an approach to parachute a whole team in, often week to week, the majority with no previous ties to the club.

come on warehouse. Now your just telling straight lies

majority with no previous ties to the club? Parachuting a whole new team in?

There’s probably no more then 3 or 4 rebels each week in the wests teams.

4 grades players this year that I can recall with no link to club, that being Vudogo, Maiava, Cooper Jones and Eboff. Majority of other rebels players turning out are either wests juniors or to aligned to west colts.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
come on warehouse. Now your just telling straight lies

majority with no previous ties to the club? Parachuting a whole new team in?

There’s probably no more then 3 or 4 rebels each week in the wests teams.

4 grades players this year that I can recall with no link to club, that being Vudogo, Maiava, Cooper Jones and Eboff. Majority of other rebels players turning out are either wests juniors or to aligned to west colts.
Get it straight! It is warhorse not warehouse. I note that you only took issue with one aspect of my reply to your load of rubbish about Souths. Maybe a "whole team" was a slight overreach but certainly a significant number of "recruits" while the Reggies run 7th.