• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
why is it a bunch of blokes couldnt win a game in Norths colours but move clubs and have success? Zander, Kuhn, Prendergast, Okor, Jooste .....
Depends how you define success I suppose. Prendergast and Okor are having success in mostly Reserve Grade, after playing Premier Grade and Colts 1 respectively at Norths. Is that success?
I would think Zanders success as a player came as a result of Norths, not many other clubs would have given him a crack. Are we surprised they win in a UQ team with a plethora of super rugby players and fringe super players when Uni are always in Top 4?

Jooste was part of the most successful team for Norths this decade, and was a key member in that team. But played 1 season then moved to professional set ups.

I think I see a pattern here....

Bumble B

Stan Wickham (3)
Looking forward to a great finals series. With 6 teams still in it and teams like UQ hitting form, the next 3 weeks will be very interesting to determine the top 4. GPS, Brothers and UQ seems like they are building nicely in depth and in play.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Looking forward to a great finals series. With 6 teams still in it and teams like UQ hitting form, the next 3 weeks will be very interesting to determine the top 4. GPS, Brothers and UQ seems like they are building nicely in depth and in play.
A couple of teams will be rueing the slow starts to the season. A few more early wins would have them better positioned on the table to make the 4.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Depends how you define success I suppose. Prendergast and Okor are having success in mostly Reserve Grade, after playing Premier Grade and Colts 1 respectively at Norths. Is that success?
I would think Zanders success as a player came as a result of Norths, not many other clubs would have given him a crack. Are we surprised they win in a UQ team with a plethora of super rugby players and fringe super players when Uni are always in Top 4?

Jooste was part of the most successful team for Norths this decade, and was a key member in that team. But played 1 season then moved to professional set ups.

I think I see a pattern here....
Success is simple for me in rugby - Win games.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Looks like Mafi and Nasser both back in club land this week

Good news for Mafi (and the Rebels).

I would have thought they'd keep him on ice until next year, but I guess if they're confident in the recovery it isn't such a bad idea to bring him back via clubland.

No doubt Bond will get a boost having him available for their run to the finals and possible Premiership push.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Brothers , Wests and Easts have byes over the next three weeks.

Rd 15 :
GPS v Wests , UQ v Easts, Souths v Bond and Brothers have the bye

Rd 16:
Bond v UQ, GPS v Norths , Easts v Brothers and Wests have the bye

Rd 17:
Brothers v Bond, UQ v Sunnybank, Norths v Wests, Souths v GPS and Easts have the bye

Rd 18:
Bond v Easts, Wests v Souths, GPS v UQ, Sunnybank v Brothers.

Good chance we won't know the Top 4 until the end of the regular season.

Ladder after Rd 14 : Wests 50, Brothers 46, UQ 43, GPS 42, Easts 40 and Bond 38.

At this stage, Wests probably the only certainty to be playing finals with GPS the next most likely.

Cracking finish to the season!

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Bond probably with the toughest run home on paper there - they don't get to play Sunnybank or Norths.

A good chance the Rd 18 clash GPS v UQ could determine one of them finishing top 2.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
i thought last week UQ had toughest run home. But they got arguably their best win of the season against ladder leading brothers.

UQ can probably end the tigers season this weekend and if they make it 2 from 2 will probably bounce Bond the following week.

if UQ drop any games the next 2 weeks will make for a exciting photo finish.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think Easts have the toughest run with games against UQ, Brothers, bye then Bond to finish, probably need to win all three to make it.

Should become a little clearer after GPS v Wests and Easts v UQ this weekend.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Brothers , Wests and Easts have byes over the next three weeks.

Rd 15 :
GPS v Wests , UQ v Easts, Souths v Bond and Brothers have the bye

Rd 16:
Bond v UQ, GPS v Norths , Easts v Brothers and Wests have the bye

Rd 17:
Brothers v Bond, UQ v Sunnybank, Norths v Wests, Souths v GPS and Easts have the bye

Rd 18:
Bond v Easts, Wests v Souths, GPS v UQ, Sunnybank v Brothers.

Good chance we won't know the Top 4 until the end of the regular season.

Ladder after Rd 14 : Wests 50, Brothers 46, UQ 43, GPS 42, Easts 40 and Bond 38.

At this stage, Wests probably the only certainty to be playing finals with GPS the next most likely.

Cracking finish to the season!
Similiar type of situation in the colts 1 table as well.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Any of the top 6 are a chance but realistically you think results will go:

50 - Wests - GPS (W), Bye, Norths (W), Souths (W) - probably finish on 65 assuming they pick up bonus points in 3/3 games

Knowing they have the bye the following round, Wests will go all out to beat GPS at home this weekend to reverse last year's semi final loss at the same venue. They can then recuperate and practise their finals moves in the last two round games against Norths & Souths. They just look like a team on the rise that will take their chances when it matters. Depth, strike and fitness this year. Big big chance.

46 - Brothers - Bye, Easts (W), Bond (W), Sunnybank (W) - finish on 60 with bonus points from 2/3 games

Hiccough last week against Uni. But plenty of quality troops back. And the rest this week will have them geared to win their last three. Unfortunately it may not be enough to finish in the top 2 if UQ form continues. Always a chance but looked a level below Uni. Or were we watching the Grand Finalists? I am not sure. The filth pedigree is to be in the big one and they will be do everything in their power to be there. Look out !!

43 - Uni - Easts (W), Bond (W), Sunnybank (W), GPS (W) - finish on 62 points with bonus points from 3/4 games

Always a danger once the September air starts approaching. Great finals preparation v GPS in the last round of the season but the physicality of that battle (depending on the stakes) could be Uni's downfall. Not the depth of previous years and a question mark on the players they have back and their ability to gel quickly. Cannot write them off but I am not sure this is their year. Having said that, the quality and speed of the game v Brothers was first rate. Their coaching is probably best in QRU and how many GFs have they played in the last 10 years? It is 7.

42 - GPS - Wests (L), Norths (W), Souths (W), Uni (L) - finish on 52 points with bonus points from 2/4 games

Not a big accumulator of bonus points and lost 5 points for an administrative mistake, which would otherwise see them on 47 points. It is fair to say that 4 or 5 of their backs would not have been in the first XV selected at the start of the year. Not sure on who they might get back from injury but comfortably have the second best 'For & Against' to Wests who they play this week. Three out of last four games at home gives them a chance to finish the table in the top 2, because not sure they can win it from 4th.

40 - Easts - UQ (L), Brothers (L), Bye, Bond (L) - finish on 41 points with a bonus point from 1/3 games

Have probably left their run too late and cannot see them beating UQ and Brothers at this time of the year. Close losses to GPS and Norths probably cruelled their season but they DID beat Wests 2 weeks ago, so they will have belief. Too inconsistent for mine. They will know by their Bye round that Mad Monday is a coming.

38 - Bond - Souths (W), UQ (L), Brothers (L), Easts (W) - finish on 48 points with bonus point from 2/4 games

Surprising they are running 6th given they have beaten GPS and Brothers this season. But one win less than UQ is 3 places on the ladder! They have the talent to win the next 4 games. Youth and experience win finals series. They have both. But can they make the 4? I don't think so. 2023 will be their year if they can retain their squad and minimise interstate poaching.

First round of the finals would see:

1v2 or Wests v Uni
3v4 or Brothers v GPS

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Queensland’s Premier Club Rugby competition, the StoreLocal Hospital Cup, will feature on free-to-air television over the next seven weeks on 9Gem.

One match per week over the remaining four regular season rounds will be broadcast, as well as the finals series, beginning with the Round 15 clash between University of Queensland and Easts Tigers, which will kick off at 3:10pm this Saturday, 6 August.

The following matches will be broadcast on 9Gem:

Round 15 – University of Queensland vs Easts | Saturday Aug 6
Round 16 – Bond University vs University of Queensland | Saturday Aug 13
Round 17 – Brothers vs Bond University | Saturday Aug 20
Round 18 – GPS vs University of Queensland | Saturday Aug 27
Major Semi-Final | Saturday Sep 3
Preliminary Final | Sunday Sep 10
Grand Final | Sunday Sep 17

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Queensland’s Premier Club Rugby competition, the StoreLocal Hospital Cup, will feature on free-to-air television over the next seven weeks on 9Gem.

One match per week over the remaining four regular season rounds will be broadcast, as well as the finals series, beginning with the Round 15 clash between University of Queensland and Easts Tigers, which will kick off at 3:10pm this Saturday, 6 August.

The following matches will be broadcast on 9Gem:

Round 15 – University of Queensland vs Easts | Saturday Aug 6
Round 16 – Bond University vs University of Queensland | Saturday Aug 13
Round 17 – Brothers vs Bond University | Saturday Aug 20
Round 18 – GPS vs University of Queensland | Saturday Aug 27
Major Semi-Final | Saturday Sep 3
Preliminary Final | Sunday Sep 10
Grand Final | Sunday Sep 17
I think you have the dates wrong for the Finals.
Should be 4th, 11th and 18th September.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I think you have the dates wrong for the Finals.
Should be 4th, 11th and 18th September.
Rugby Xplorer has them down for Saturday games . The GF at least is normally on a Sunday when played at Ballymore.

Any news on where the finals will be played?

Last year saw suburban grounds share the early finals then GF’s at Suncorp.