• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Tell that to the Horan's. South's boy with the son at UQ.
Horan came to Brisbane from Downlands College at a time when Souths were stacked with talent, probably even more than UQ currently are, might have been part of the reason why he chose Souths. Horan, Little, Morgan , Robinson and Johnson came from Toowoomba to Souths, not exactly Souths juniors.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Horan came to Brisbane from Downlands College at a time when Souths were stacked with talent, probably even more than UQ currently are, might have been part of the reason why he chose Souths. Horan, Little, Morgan , Robinson and Johnson came from Toowoomba to Souths, not exactly Souths juniors.
All those younguns that joined souths at the time was because they played QLD / Aust Schoolboys together with the coach Peter Francis.

Peter then took the colts 1 coaching role at Souths and kept them all together (smart recruiting by Doubles et al).
Souths at the time was very strong as well with 7-8 Qld reds like Crowley, Lawton, Lawton, Tait, Free, Mulvihill,Tombs etc etc so it was the place to be for a young player.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
If you had a choice out of further developing your game under a multi premiership winning coach/setup or one at the opposite end what would you do?

Of the players you mentioned for uq only 2 are new to the club. Joost I believe came to the club because he is mates with a couple of the UQ guys down there, the club chased him up and he enjoyed the atmosphere.

Not sure about Zander but I don't think it would be a tough decision at the moment to jump from north's to UQ, particularly if you are looking to further advance your game or chasing a premiership.

The clubs currently riding high also lose a lot of quality players to other clubs. Often players they have developed at that level.

It goes both ways, quite often to the detriment of the "more successful" club at the time. It can be a bit of a knock on effect through the grades/colts and you need a good club culture to minimise your losses.

I don't think the employers should have any input as to which club the guys actually play for. That's a personal decision based on many factors.

The start of your post sounds like a fair bit of sour grapes. I assume your club isn't doing great at the moment. Perhaps the onus should be put on clubs to do more to attract and / or retain their players?

Wondering where you are getting your information about the qru directing players to certain clubs? I would be surprised if this is actually the case and not just Chinese whispers
Chinese whisper? Only I have them!!

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I'll be down at GPS this weekend for the UQ game, unfortunately haven't made it to many games in person this year, but I reckon this weekend will be a cracker.

As much as it would hurt GPS, I'd love to see UQ roll out a similar side to last weekend.

The QPR has really benefited from the flux in selections with the Wallabies this year. I can't remember another season in the modern era where so many current Wallabies have played club rugby during the actual season.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
All the Wallabies are back in camp right? Its test week. So Tate and Jock won't be there

Wasn't JOC (James O'Connor) sent to play for Brothers whilst the Wallabies were in England camp?

I would imagine Tate is a chance of the 23 this weekend, but there is a chance Jock could play for UQ?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wasn't JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) sent to play for Brothers whilst the Wallabies were in England camp?

I would imagine Tate is a chance of the 23 this weekend, but there is a chance Jock could play for UQ?

i think the full squad flys to Adelaide… least they’ll take at a minimum a fresh front row outside of the match day 23.

some outside backs and back rowers which can be readily interchanged maybe sent back to clubland if they have sufficient injury cover.

rugbyrules

Stan Wickham (3)
I'll be down at GPS this weekend for the UQ game, unfortunately haven't made it to many games in person this year, but I reckon this weekend will be a cracker.

As much as it would hurt GPS, I'd love to see UQ roll out a similar side to last weekend.

The QPR has really benefited from the flux in selections with the Wallabies this year. I can't remember another season in the modern era where so many current Wallabies have played club rugby during the actual season.
Agree the GPS v Uni game should be a great game. Cracking finals campaign ahead ...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
They're probably both out of the competition at this point, but the scrum battle for Bond v Easts will be a spicy one. Both teams really had the wood over UQ and Brothers over the last few weeks, it'll be interesting to see how close they are to each other.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So who’s in charge of any rulings associated medical dispensations related to minimum games and final eligibility? is a doctors certificate suffice?

couple of superstars I think won’t be in qpr finals because they didn’t meet the minimum 6 games (Nic Jooste & Carter G by the looks of it)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
A few posters have listed the competition rules regarding ladder positions and they have consistently listed most number of wins being the first used as a tie breaker followed by PD if teams are tied on points.

The Hospital Cup wrap up on Rugby Xplorer still claiming Easts are a chance of taking 4th spot off Brothers if they win by a big enough margin to better Brothers' PD, if on the off chance Brothers lose to Sunnybank without gaining a bonus point. Highly unlikely , but reported as a possibility.

Must admit I always thought PD was it when teams are tied on competition points. The number of wins being used was news to me, seems to be the same for those doing the Weekly Wrap ups.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The Hospital Cup wrap up on Rugby Xplorer still claiming Easts are a chance of taking 4th spot off Brothers if they win by a big enough margin to better Brothers' PD, if on the off chance Brothers lose to Sunnybank without gaining a bonus point. Highly unlikely , but reported as a possibility.

I always thought it was PD first - I believe Easts would have to win by something like 60pts? Very unlikely, but who knows.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Surely Carter Gordon didn't take a week off knowing he would be ineligible for finals? Especially considering all the Rebels weren't called home.

I am just going off the very detailed explanation Serge gave the other day about finals eligibility for players not associated with reds/RA.

6 games, registered early July.
Carter rejoined wests versus Easts (Mid July)
this week versus souths makes it 5 games.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Surely Carter Gordon didn't take a week off knowing he would be ineligible for finals? Especially considering all the Rebels weren't called home.
Is he even close to six games though?

Maybe working on combinations for finals? No point him playing this weekend if he wont be there the following week.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I am just going off the very detailed explanation Serge gave the other day about finals eligibility for players not associated with reds/Rugby Australia.

6 games, registered early July.
Carter rejoined wests versus Easts (Mid July)
this week versus souths makes it 5 games.
Sorry , you answered my question while I was typing.

Bumble B

Stan Wickham (3)
As per competition rules all contracted players playing at the moment will be eligible for finals as long as they've been registered before the cut off date. There are no requirement around amount of games played. UQ certainly look like the favorites after their display on the weekend.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
As per competition rules all contracted players playing at the moment will be eligible for finals as long as they've been registered before the cut off date. There are no requirement around amount of games played. UQ certainly look like the favorites after their display on the weekend.
It’s a bit more complicated than that with players not aligned to the reds or whom don’t have some type of Rugby Australia contract… hence the discussion

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It’s a bit more complicated than that with players not aligned to the reds or whom don’t have some type of Rugby Australia contract… hence the discussion

This is the part that confuses me.

I thought all players who are playing rugby within Australia at any level, have a registered contract with Rugby Australia?

And then certain professional players receive a Rugby Australia top-up.

Under the current rules I'm not sure the rule is in place that only players with a RA top up get carte blanche selection. Rather anyone who's playing in Australia. And this is of course different to how it has been a few years ago.

Last edited:

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
A few posters have listed the competition rules regarding ladder positions and they have consistently listed most number of wins being the first used as a tie breaker followed by PD if teams are tied on points.

Must admit I always thought PD was it when teams are tied on competition points. The number of wins being used was news to me, seems to be the same for those doing the Weekly Wrap ups.

7.1 lists how ladder positions are determined