• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Apologies for not doing my own research on this - I had a look but couldn't find what I wanted.

Which teams would play extra time this weekend if it were a draw after 80mins? Do all teams in the Premier category play extra time? 1sts, 2nds, Colts 1 and Women's?

I remember there was a few split premierships in the lower grade last year.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In non-prems news it's good to see rugby thriving in the sub district areas.

Redland Bay have both of their teams playing in Friday night grand finals this weekend. I know they've had a big push of supporters and some ex-Reds and 7s players have been playing this year.

Keeping players and clubs engaged in those catchments is important for long term viability of our code.
Rugby is not thriving in the sub districts.
30min halves - uncontested scrums.
Saturday games are being played 12v12 in some cases.
QSRU is dying slow and painful death.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Apologies for not doing my own research on this - I had a look but couldn't find what I wanted.

Which teams would play extra time this weekend if it were a draw after 80mins? Do all teams in the Premier category play extra time? 1sts, 2nds, Colts 1 and Women's?

I remember there was a few split premierships in the lower grade last year.
Ist Grade play one 10 min extra time of Golden Point, then higher placed finisher from competition rounds. All other grades are declared joint Premiers with no extra time played. See Competition Rules 10.1 VIII to X

Wilson

David Codey (61)
QPR have posted a video on their instagram with messages of support from McDermott and Petaia in wallabies camp so I doubt either of them will play on Sunday (not that Petaia was likely).

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
QPR have posted a video on their instagram with messages of support from McDermott and Petaia in wallabies camp so I doubt either of them will play on Sunday (not that Petaia was likely).

Tate very much channeling his inner Ricky Bobby - not sure what to do with his hands! Lots of gestures.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.33.43 pm.png

I've just come across this. Has much been made about it possibly being Heeno's last game coaching UQ this weekend? Thought I would have seen some more about it. Not unlike him to not be the focus, though.

(edit - fix up image)

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
As for refereeing your brothers team - I say not only must justice be done it must be seen to be done - doesn’t pass the pub test either.

The referee should have stepped aside.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Assuming he was a QRU Ref (or whatever the association is called) - do you really think he would risk his reputation to give his brother a 4th grade semi final win???? seems a bit tin foil hat to me. My brother would be more likely to be biased against me.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I find it hard to believe a ref, who chooses to ref (they aren't forced to do it, and don't imagine the pay is spectacular for a Saturday) then sets out to do the exact opposite of the thing they signed up for... If there was money involved I would understand. But blatantly cheating (that's what is) in 4th grade in front of spectators....

Look I have full respect to anyone who volunteers their time to a sport and performs their duty honestly.

However the lower grades refereeing over the past couple years has been abysmal to be honest. I have witnessed, 1st hand, complete and utter incompetence as well as blatant cheating at that level(going both ways). Claiming a bloke reffing 4th grade is above this is stupid, they don't take some hypocratic oath. I have no knowledge of the game which this original post was about however I am not surprised at all that this has been raised as an issue. It has ruined the enjoyment of the rugby for many other volunteers (coaches, managers, trainers) who as a result have been lost the the game.

Refereeing has become a major talking point at all levels. Unfortunately a sport like rugby which has many intricacies and grey areas will always be prone to referee interpretation. It will always be a talking point. A starting point should be that a referee should not be allowed to ref a game which they have any ties to. Club, family, etc. It seems a pretty basic and base level policy to put into place to, at the very lest, avoid having these conversations as well as avoiding the referees work scrutinised.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Look I have full respect to anyone who volunteers their time to a sport and performs their duty honestly.

However the lower grades refereeing over the past couple years has been abysmal to be honest. I have witnessed, 1st hand, complete and utter incompetence as well as blatant cheating at that level(going both ways). Claiming a bloke reffing 4th grade is above this is stupid, they don't take some hypocratic oath. I have no knowledge of the game which this original post was about however I am not surprised at all that this has been raised as an issue. It has ruined the enjoyment of the rugby for many other volunteers (coaches, managers, trainers) who as a result have been lost the the game.

These guys aren't volunteers though. They're paid to ref each game, it might not be much but they are paid.

Not sure why there would be a need for a Hippocratic oath in order for someone to do their job honestly.

Whether you're a maccas worker, an accountant or a referee there is a code of conduct you're expected to follow and do your job honestly.

Your post is essentially insinuating the people who opt to become rugby referees have a dodgy moral compass and this type of behaviour isn't beyond them. Quite disrespectful to that community, despite your attempts of saying you have fully respect for them.

Should the referee in question maybe stood themselves down from the game due to the perceived notion of bias? Most likely because we wouldn't be having this conversation if they did. But at the same time, they're paid to do a job fairly and there should not have been doubt that it was done that way.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Your post is essentially insinuating the people who opt to become rugby referees have a dodgy moral compass and this type of behaviour isn't beyond them. Quite disrespectful to that community, despite your attempts of saying you have fully respect for them.

Nope, not what I am insinuating at all. I am stating that these people are human beings. Prone to mistakes, external influences, implicit bias, being good honest people, being shitty dishonest people, everything that comes with human nature. Perhaps removing another level of perceived bias is a way to protect the integrity of the game and remove(from the refs) another level scrutiny.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)

Refereeing has become a major talking point at all levels. Unfortunately a sport like rugby which has many intricacies and grey areas will always be prone to referee interpretation. It will always be a talking point. A starting point should be that a referee should not be allowed to ref a game which they have any ties to. Club, family, etc. It seems a pretty basic and base level policy to put into place to, at the very lest, avoid having these conversations as well as avoiding the referees work scrutinised.
Jaded view mate. Respect? Garbage

I have not witnessed any blatant bias in many year of watching the club rugby.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Nope, not what I am insinuating at all. I am stating that these people are human beings. Prone to mistakes, external influences, implicit bias, being good honest people, being shitty dishonest people, everything that comes with human nature. Perhaps removing another level of perceived bias is a way to protect the integrity of the game and remove(from the refs) another level scrutiny.

That's completely different to your point above - being a human being doesn't mean they're forced to cheat.

In your post above your clearly say you've witnessed blatant cheating by a referee in the lower grades - "both ways". To make a comment like that implies you've seen it multiple times. I find that very hard to believe.

Anyway I'm not going to argue on a forum about a 4th grade referee for a game I didn't witness.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
That's completely different to your point above - being a human being doesn't mean they're forced to cheat.

In your post above your clearly say you've witnessed blatant cheating by a referee in the lower grades - "both ways". To make a comment like that implies you've seen it multiple times. I find that very hard to believe.

Anyway I'm not going to argue on a forum about a 4th grade referee for a game I didn't witness.

No it isn't. It supports what my original post said. To simplify it I state that we all have bias, and some people are happy to use their position to influence the outcome of a match... because humans are flawed.

What I then go on to say is while we cannot control that we can control some factors. One would be not allowing a person to referee a match which they have some bias towards.

And yes, over several decades being involved with club rugby I have witnessed this many times. I find it hilarious that some of you think a low grade rugby referee is somehow more honest and moral than any other human. Of course there are going to be ones who decide to influence the outcome of a game.

I am in no way saying that this is a majority, in fact it would be a tiny minority. This doesn't mean that it does not exist. How do you minimise the impact of it? Or do you truly believe that no referee is bias or has willingly every turned the tide of a match?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Jaded view mate. Respect? Garbage

I have not witnessed any blatant bias in many year of watching the club rugby.
What about the referee in a Prem game a few years back who was heard over a "hot" mic at halftime making derogatory comments about a particular club and stating that he would be penalising their scrum out of the game in the second half.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I was a little suprised to read in a article Wests coach Elwee Prinsloo say “they are the underdogs going up again Mick Heenans Heavies”

has anyone seen betting odds?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Zander back to LHP this week with Sef at THP. Jooste stays at 12 with Oates outside him. Two props playing lock.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
I was a little suprised to read in a article Wests coach Elwee Prinsloo say “they are the underdogs going up again Mick Heenans Heavies”

has anyone seen betting

has anyone seen betting odds?
Yep, $2.6 Wests and $1.5 UQ