• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Over who? I'm a Wests fan and he is a good player but I don't really see him being head and shoulders above any of the pros. Maybe in the academy progams

Reds - Asiata, Blake, Nasser
Brums - Lonergan, McInerney, Pollard
Tahs - Latu, Vailanu, Porecki
Force - Faainga, Kaituu, Winchester
Rebs - Uelese, Mafi, Rangi

I would take Cam Flavell over Blake from Reds and Rangi from Rebels.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Over who? I'm a Wests fan and he is a good player but I don't really see him being head and shoulders above any of the pros. Maybe in the academy progams

For mine I would take Dobbins over the below names seeing you asked.

Blake and Asiata - haven't performed at the same level at QPR (asiata better than blake)
Latu - known baggage off field
Uelese - wests (prinsloo) saw more of these 2 in direct competition and chose Dobbins as the starter

rugbyrules

Stan Wickham (3)

I would rate Dobbins as ahead of all 3 of those Reds hookers - by some way.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I would rate Dobbins as ahead of all 3 of those Reds hookers - by some way.
To be honest, I am not a fan of Mafi and Faainga either. Both very hot and cold.

We seem to have a situation where the role of the hooker is very loose these days.
Some want a winger type (Dane Coles) and some want a tight five type (Malcolm Marx) and some want a flanker type (Lonergan)

I guess that's why we love the game. A spot for everyone. and each coach is there to get the best out of what he / she has in the style they want to play.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Lets do a GF Comparison of those that earned a Super Rugby cap in 2022:

West: 4 Rebels, 3 Reds
3 - Jacobus Eloff (Rebels)
5 - Max Johnson (Academy)
6 - Keynan Tauakipulu (Academy)
8 - Seru Uru (Reds)
9 - Moses Sorovi (Rebels)
10 - Carter Gordon (Rebels)
11 - Filipo Daugunu (Reds)
13 - Isaac Henry (Reds)
16 - Jordan Uelese (Rebels)
21 - Cullin Cooper Jones (Academy)
22 - David Vaihu (Academy)
23 - Mason Gordon (Academy)

UQ: 6 Rebels, 5 Reds
1 - Dane Zander (Reds)
3 - Sef Fa'agase (Rebels)
5 - Issac Aedo Kailea (Rebels)
7 - Sam Wallis (Rebels)
9 - Kalani Thomas (Reds)
11- Mac Grealy (Reds)
12 - Nick Jooste (Rebels)
14 - Joe Pincus (Rebels)
15 - Jock Campbell (Reds)
21 - Tate McDermott (Reds)
23 - Lukas Ripley (Rebels)

The main difference being all the Rebels at UQ had played previously for the club (and Fa'agase finished last season at the Reds so really its a 5-5 split).

Any Rebels with no prior association in QPR are being funnelled to Wests, along with the Academy players who are all Rebels. Realistically it's 9 players on the books for the Rebels who played in the QPR final.

My response wasn't to complain about Super Rugby capped players, it was in reference to why would the Rebels bother establishing their own team in Melbourne to fly into either QPR or Shute Shield every weekend. They've just proved that their current practice of filtering majority of their talent into a single QPR club is at least working for the club, it'll be interesting to see if their players step up in Super Rugby next year having played a decent chunk of footy in QPR instead of having an off-season or playing in Melbourne.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Teams are often using 4 hookers a season at the moment (Reds used 5 plus an extra training squad hooker), so based off the current squads both the Brumbies and the Force could take a look at him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The main difference being all the Rebels at UQ had played previously for the club (and Fa'agase finished last season at the Reds so really its a 5-5 split).

Any Rebels with no prior association in QPR are being funnelled to Wests, along with the Academy players who are all Rebels. Realistically it's 9 players on the books for the Rebels who played in the QPR final.

My response wasn't to complain about Super Rugby capped players, it was in reference to why would the Rebels bother establishing their own team in Melbourne to fly into either QPR or Shute Shield every weekend. They've just proved that their current practice of filtering majority of their talent into a single QPR club is at least working for the club, it'll be interesting to see if their players step up in Super Rugby next year having played a decent chunk of footy in QPR instead of having an off-season or playing in Melbourne.

Kailea, Jooste and Zander UQ recruits.

Uelese, Eloff and Cooper-Jones Wests recruits.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Didn't both Gordon brothers play for Wests as Juniors and also during their first few years for the Reds?

Moses has played for Wests before his Reds contract I thought?

Lukas being a BBC old boy really had two choices; Wests or UQ (I guess you could count GPS, but Waterworks road is crap to get to training).

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Didn't both Gordon brothers play for Wests as Juniors and also during their first few years for the Reds?

Moses has played for Wests before his Reds contract I thought?

Lukas being a BBC old boy really had two choices; Wests or UQ (I guess you could count GPS, but Waterworks road is crap to get to training).
Gordons are not Wests Juniors - Grew up on Sunshine coast and scholarships to BBC.

Moses was a UQ Red Heavy before he moved to Wests due to Tate McD being at UQ as well and he wanted more game time.

Ripley started at Souths along with Kalani (Souths Junior).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
TIL Talent, cheers! I remember seeing Moses in the old Harlequin jersey so thought it may have predated Tate!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gordons are not Wests Juniors - Grew up on Sunshine coast and scholarships to BBC.

Moses was a UQ Red Heavy before he moved to Wests due to Tate McD being at UQ as well and he wanted more game time.

Ripley started at Souths along with Kalani (Souths Junior).

Mason Gordon played Wests Jnrs absolutely.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

regardless - he played Jnrs. About Under 14 or 15. A whole season.

But feel free to try to discredit the situation more.
Not discrediting it.

Just added to the story.
BBC put pretty much a whole team into the comp playing under the Wests colours. It was their way of getting more game time than the 8/10 schoolboy games.

I believe GT has also done similar as have other schools in the past 10 years or so.