• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Brownie has been trying for a while to make pathway connection BBC -Wests.

what do you mean trying to make pathway?

any sensible collegian goes from one Toowong rugby institution to the other Toowong rugby institution.

It’s like implying brothers trying to make a pathway with nudgee.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
BBC put pretty much a whole team into the comp playing under the Wests colours. It was their way of getting more game time than the 8/10 schoolboy games.
Ah, that isn't new and I can attest to doing the same thing in the late 90's and early 2000's as Rugby was split across Terms 2 and 3.

School Training Tues, Thursday, Wests on Friday. Then School rugby on Saturday, club on Sunday.

Not really pioneering stuff :p

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

what do you mean trying to make pathway?

any sensible collegian goes from one Toowong rugby institution to the other Toowong rugby institution.

It’s like implying brothers trying to make a pathway with nudgee.
but it isnt happening. Doesnt seem to be a predominance Like Nudgee- Brothers or Marist - GPS.

BBC lads are spread all over the QPR now.

Pottsy had a time where he encouraged lads to GPS ( when Prinsloo was coaching at both)

Darren Rees has encouraged a few towards souths now

UQ had their claws in there for a while too with Chatters and Macintosh

Tyrell got a few of the 2018/19 cohort to tigerland.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Garrick Morgan at GF on Sunday. Surveying Colts 1 recruit for magpie for next year?

Based on overall grade result this year, UQ, West, East, Bond and Brother all set for 2023.

South, North, GPS, Sunnybank need to recruit hard.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not discrediting it.

Just added to the story.
BBC put pretty much a whole team into the comp playing under the Wests colours. It was their way of getting more game time than the 8/10 schoolboy games.

I believe GT has also done similar as have other schools in the past 10 years or so.
that's just a lie in this case. Mason played in the same team as my son and there were players from multiple schools. No more from BBC than any other school.

As for trying to make a link with BBC? I played for Wests juniors back in the 80s and those teams were always dominated by BBC boys. It's natural - its around the corner. And there wasn't a UQ Jnrs team to play for.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

that's just a lie in this case. Mason played in the same team as my son and there were players from multiple schools. No more from BBC than any other school.

As for trying to make a link with BBC? I played for Wests juniors back in the 80s and those teams were always dominated by BBC boys. It's natural - its around the corner. And there wasn't a UQ Jnrs team to play for.
Out of interest sake how many colts at Wests this year came from BBC (other than Mason)?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Out of interest sake how many colts at Wests this year came from BBC (other than Mason)?

Zac Hough is one of the names I know. Think he was supposed to be going to Easts before he got the rebels contract…. Looks to really enjoyed his rugby this year as he was always benching after colts for prems or reserve grade.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I've got absolutely no idea. But nice deflection.
Well if there is a defined path you would expect it to be well worn.

I know of 5. Hough, Rubens, Zac Davies, Sam Darnell and Harvey Guest (who actually played at wests since u7/8). Could be a few others in Colts2 and 3 I guess.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Garrick Morgan at GF on Sunday. Surveying Colts 1 recruit for magpie for next year?

Based on overall grade result this year, UQ, West, East, Bond and Brother all set for 2023.

South, North, GPS, Sunnybank need to recruit hard.

He needs to keep an eye on his own backyard - UQ reps were whispering sweet nothings into his award winning Colts ear hahaha

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not to stir the pot but one could not help but wonder what could have been for the Eagles - no doubt I missed a few;

- Dane Zander (UQ)
- Nick Jooste (UQ)
- Vilikesa Raboiliku (WEST)
- Liam Prendergast (UQ)
- Brad Kuhn (UQ)
- Veresa Mataitini (GPS)
- Okaw Obonno (UQ)

Not saying they would win the comp, but a pretty handy team.

1 - Zander
2 - Maafu
3 - Kuhn
4 - Tutaia
5 - North
6 - Wood
7 - Obonno
8 - Rogers
9 - Prendergast
10 - Jooste
11 - Mataitini
12 - Raboiliku
13 - Peoples
14 - Veramu
15 - Chapman

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not to stir the pot but one could not help but wonder what could have been for the Eagles - no doubt I missed a few;

- Dane Zander (UQ)
- Nick Jooste (UQ)
- Vilikesa Raboiliku (WEST)
- Liam Prendergast (UQ)
- Brad Kuhn (UQ)
- Veresa Mataitini (GPS)
- Okaw Obonno (UQ)

Not saying they would win the comp, but a pretty handy team.

1 - Zander
2 - Maafu
3 - Kuhn
4 - Tutaia
5 - North
6 - Wood
7 - Obonno
8 - Rogers
9 - Prendergast
10 - Jooste
11 - Mataitini
12 - Raboiliku
13 - Peoples
14 - Veramu
15 - Chapman
This is always Norths problem. What ifs.
They spend so much time looking for a quick fix and have no eye for the future. They don’t want those types of players if they don’t want to stick around and help build.
Seems they have their colts in order, so I’d be investing in them and moving Richie up as premier grade coach similar to what Dammers did at South’s a number of years ago. Yes that ended in tears, but Richie is a norths man and has proven himself turning a few very mediocre sides and programs into very respectable ones.l at Norths and BSHS.

Build it and they will come I say.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gordons are not Wests Juniors - Grew up on Sunshine coast and scholarships to BBC.

Carter obviously reads GAGR. Just posted this.

550C2331-1877-4BA7-A7AD-0542C0847CD9.jpeg

rugbyrules

Stan Wickham (3)
This is always Norths problem. What ifs.
They spend so much time looking for a quick fix and have no eye for the future. They don’t want those types of players if they don’t want to stick around and help build.
Seems they have their colts in order, so I’d be investing in them and moving Richie up as premier grade coach similar to what Dammers did at South’s a number of years ago. Yes that ended in tears, but Richie is a norths man and has proven himself turning a few very mediocre sides and programs into very respectable ones.l at Norths and BSHS.

Build it and they will come I say.
Looks like Norths are on the way up as a club and taking a longer term view - off the field it runs well. Good facilities (big upgrades to fields not long ago), good crowds and home games are always well run and have atmosphere. Have obviously invested in Colts and that's paying dividends as you point out. Assume women's and men's next cab off the rank. They clearly have some playing & coaching talent emerging from colts which should flow through in time. Agree, improving a club takes time - but looks like they are building a foundation. Losing players to clubs higher up the ladder is not something that happens to just Norths. UQ and Wests GF sides both had players recruited from multiple clubs/super sides - the comp is pretty transitory now unfortunately for players chasing contracts.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Final

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Looks like Norths are on the way up as a club and taking a longer term view - off the field it runs well. Good facilities (big upgrades to fields not long ago), good crowds and home games are always well run and have atmosphere. Have obviously invested in Colts and that's paying dividends as you point out. Assume women's and men's next cab off the rank. They clearly have some playing & coaching talent emerging from colts which should flow through in time. Agree, improving a club takes time - but looks like they are building a foundation. Losing players to clubs higher up the ladder is not something that happens to just Norths. UQ and Wests GF sides both had players recruited from multiple clubs/super sides - the comp is pretty transitory now unfortunately for players chasing contracts.
Player movement has happened forever.
The earliest ones I remember was Chris Roche early/mid eighties from Teachers North to UQ.
Richard Leslie Wests to Sunnybank
Sam Scott Young Wests to Souths was another one of note

I bet some of the old farts around here will tell stories from even earlier

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Didn’t even know about this one? Wonder how his son ended up at UQ then?

Did an Alex Horan and turned his back on his fathers club?
ALex Horan, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Connor Moroney were all school age mates that chose to go to the same club as colts.

At the time Souths was in disarray and Moroney was following his dad's and Grandfather's path at UQ. Pity he was so injury prone as he was a MOTM when he played for Aust Schoolboys against All Black Schoolboys.