• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder if UQ might been swinging a few calls to newly available Ben McCormack who is returning to Brisbane.

Or will they look to promote internally.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Obviously has contacts in the right places, seems to know everything a day or two before officially announced.

He was the Reds manager during the McKenzie era, probably still has plenty of ears on the ground.

Plus it's his job.
Lets hope he breaks all the stories of the end of season reviews around all the clubs.

Will be interesting to see the coaching movements we have come to expect each year.

So far I am aware of
Reds - Heenan and Blake getting new offices
UQ - Berrange moving up a seat, offsiders to be declared
Souths - Cleaning house - Garrick Morgan to be new ring leader with an announced team.
Sunnybank - Scouting to replace Sione

Anyone got any other news / gossip?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Lets hope he breaks all the stories of the end of season reviews around all the clubs.

Will be interesting to see the coaching movements we have come to expect each year.

So far I am aware of
Reds - Heenan and Blake getting new offices
UQ - Berrange moving up a seat, offsiders to be declared
Souths - Cleaning house - Garrick Morgan to be new ring leader with an announced team.
Sunnybank - Scouting to replace Sione

Anyone got any other news / gossip?

Might be time for the 2023 qldpremierrugby thread.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wonder if UQ might been swinging a few calls to newly available Ben McCormack who is returning to Brisbane.

Or will they look to promote internally.
I'd imagine Pup will return to The Filth in some capacity. Gabbett and Carl Marshall might need to start looking over their shoulders

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just looking through the lower grades GF results I noted that the following clubs did not feature: GPS, Norths & Snbk. It would have to be a long time since GPS & Snbk didn’t feature on the last day of the season in some grade.

Wests only in Prems and Bond only in the Women’s GF.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Just looking through the lower grades GF results I noted that the following clubs did not feature: GPS, Norths & Snbk. It would have to be a long time since GPS & Snbk didn’t feature on the last day of the season in some grade.

GPS won 6th grade Friday nights.

But your point is valid, I know the club are looking closely at things to improve next year down the grades.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

But your point is valid, I know the club are looking closely at things to improve next year down the grades.

How do they address this?

I would like to see a over 30s discount at all clubs for returning players… let’s be honest most people are considering retirement when they hit 30 - but a player might decide not to hang it up if there is a incentive such as cheaper playing subs.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)

GPS strike me as a club that had strong momentum and hope for their top grades after 2021 but got complacent. Any success means you are warily hunted the following year and they made all 3 of the Suncorp GFs last year but none this year. As a comparison, Easts made 2 last year and 2 again this year. UQ 1 last year and 2 this year.

GPS, Norths and the Bank need a huge off-season. Obviously harder to recruit when you're not winning something in the last game of the year.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
GPS were in no way a doom and gloom in the grades, the 2nd grade and Women's sides lost in the prelim finals, one win away from the big dance.

If you look at GPS grades results from 2007-2017 they picked up a number of premierships between 2nd grade - 5th grade.

Part of the reason I think is because for a very long time GPS biggest player catchment, Marist Ashgrove were producing A LOT of handy footballers. I don't just mean a two or three blokes who would play Queensland school boys, but they'd have 30-45 players who'd play 1sts/2nds/3rd at Marist and likely all play higher divisions at other schools. In 05/06/07/08 Marist were taking their A-B-C teams to regional trials and getting blokes who were third string at the school playing in Met North teams. Then once they'd graduated they come down to GPS and play rugby for 7+ years with their mates.

I think that talent pool has dried up a bit and there needs to be some more recruitment done to revitalise the grades.

Reactions: NCT

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Please the MBAsh lads have been saying for years that they could compete in GPS (school rugby) but the essence is that despite the very talented players to emerge from Ashgrove the likes of Eales, Daniel Herbert, Brendan Moon, etc they have only been a big fish in a small pond in the AIC (formerly TAS) competition.
If your recruitment strategy is to simply look to MBAsh Old Boys then you are in trouble and I think you will find that under Anthony Herbert in the last 10 + years they have recruited players beyond the Ashgrove post code and that has delivered success across all grades.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think you’ve missed the point of my post in order to dribble your own anti-Ashgrove trying to get into GPS agenda, which was never mentioned in my post.

By sheer geographic location, the majority of players at GPS rugby club come from MCA. Totally agree they recruit outside of that catchment, but it’s that large volume of Marist players that make up the numbers in the grades.

Many of the best players to play at GPS over the last 10 years as you mention have come from outside that catchment - Gicquel, the Smith twins, Kerevi and Kuridrani to name a few. But we weren’t talking about 1st grade.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
No anti-Ashgrove agenda here just telling it how it is.
Also of more recent times maybe there hasn’t been the traditional immediate transfer of school (Ash) to club (GPS) link.
Not all BBC OBs migrate to Wests as use to be the norm.
I know of a few MBA boarders who went on to live on Campus at UQ and then play for Uni.
Also large numbers of Villanova boys in recent years went to play colts at Norths not Easts.
I am just saying that the traditional channels from school to club rugby might not be what they once were and that all clubs need to work on restoring these.
The problem is that they all think they will play for the reds and are attracted by the “academy” type structures of Uni & Bros.