• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Brothers Bond game would have been epic, if Bond had been able to keep 15 players on the field. Brothers played smart footy for the rest of that game and just wore them down at set piece.

GPS v South’s was a cracker as well. Good finish to the game for a GPS fan. From a Reds perspective the South’s flyhalf had a cracker game, and kicked all his goals. And Aubrey looked great in open space for GPS.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
The Brothers Bond game would have been epic, if Bond had been able to keep 15 players on the field. Brothers played smart footy for the rest of that game and just wore them down at set piece.

GPS v South’s was a cracker as well. Good finish to the game for a GPS fan. From a Reds perspective the South’s flyhalf had a cracker game, and kicked all his goals. And Aubrey looked great in open space for GPS.
Souths 10 is a very good talent, hopefully can keep him around till O'Connor retires in a couple years

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Pritchard (Bond 7) very unlucky to get a red. Yes it was high and no mitigation. Referee said he’d come in with speed and force but he was flat footed and just stuck a lazy arm out with very little force. A yellow would have been more appropriate. No consultation with ARs. Tim Ryan bounced straight to his feet. I’m sure he wouldn’t have if there was force.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Knee jerk reaction by the man in the middle. Just a reflex tackle and wasn’t dangerous to the ball carrier. As we know more concussions caused from tackling than being tackled.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You do wonder what the effect of more harsh dangerous contact guidelines will have on club rugby. Obviously these guys don’t have the assistance of replays, TMO advice etc.

Based on the limited sample size in QPR already, it would seem the ref’s are going with an approach of giving a harsher penalty on the field. Whereas at Super Rugby level because the TMO can now upgrade cards to Red during the send off period, Refs seem to be more cautious because they know it can be upgraded anyway. It will create inconsistencies in the rulings.

I can’t see the Bond 7 getting a large suspension at judiciary, probably just the one week mandatory red card stand down.

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)

If only he and the 15 got their penalty kicks as well ..... Know kickers win games, not loose them but would have been nice to get a win against GPS at Yoku Rd

MrRugbyman

Frank Row (1)
You do wonder what the effect of more harsh dangerous contact guidelines will have on club rugby. Obviously these guys don’t have the assistance of replays, TMO advice etc.

Based on the limited sample size in QPR already, it would seem the ref’s are going with an approach of giving a harsher penalty on the field. Whereas at Super Rugby level because the TMO can now upgrade cards to Red during the send off period, Refs seem to be more cautious because they know it can be upgraded anyway. It will create inconsistencies in the rulings.

I can’t see the Bond 7 getting a large suspension at judiciary, probably just the one week mandatory red card stand down.
Surely there's no minimum red card stand down period and there's a proper judiciary in place?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely there's no minimum red card stand down period and there's a proper judiciary in place?

Someone more involved with clubland will know for sure, but I’m fairly certain in years past a red card was deemed a mandatory one week suspension and in some cases the judiciary hearing was booked 10 days after the offence because they factored in 1 week mandatory suspension.

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)
What do you mean he won’t be content to sit behind Lynagh? Lynagh is looking good and a few levels above. Harry won’t displace any other Aussie super rugby 10s. An arrogant comment imo.
Think you reading more into my comment than what was intended. Was just trying to point out the fact that they both youngsters and we will loose the Souths 10 when he comes of contract in a couple of years as he will not be content to bench for Lynagh and rightfully so. Did not say he could displace any other Aussie Super Rugby 10's now but I do think he will in time to come.

But whiles you brought up the point:

I don't think Lynagh can displace any other Super Rugby 10 either. I am sorry but I am not sold on Lynach yet, all I have seen up until now is a bit of kicking, hanging out the back waiting for opportunities that in most cases never comes and a lot of missed tackles. I keep on hearing he is still young and will grow into his body. Saw him the other day, he unfortunately is always, even at his biggest, in years to come, going to be a small player that will really have to work very hard on his tackling technique if he wants to survive in the modern game. I personally, and this only me, can not see how a you can justify having to hide a player that gets payed to play the game. How do we get to a point that we need to hide professional rugby players in defense? Do we really have no one better in QLD? Keep on hearing it is not a age thing, if you good enough you old enough and then when they stuff up they are just youngsters that will grow over time. If you can not defend your channel, you are not good enough and therefore not old enough, needs to work both ways. At this point I will back the Souths 10 to play over Lynagh everyday of the week. He creates opportunities, not wait for them. He defends his own channel and don't hide on the wing. He takes on the line, gets in opposition's face and again, defends his own channel. We all knows he will always play second fiddle to Lynach, now and in years to come and that is why I just gave my humble submission that we will loose the Souths 10 and rightfully so as nobody needs to bench for a team if you could be a starter in another team in the same comp.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
My bad if i had it wrong but I have GPS leaving 6 points behind and Souths 11. Happy to stand corrected. I will watch the game again.
GPS six tries to five.

But if you start taking into account penalties that could have should have would have been kicked, you have to come back to half way for the kick offs and guess what would have could have should have happened. Changes the course of the whole game.