• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
GPS and UQ can start planning for next year after really disappointing competitions compared to the recent past.

Unless GPS can beat Brothers and Bond at home and Norths and Sunnybank away. Quite possible but they haven't won 4 in a row for a while!!! They must be bemoaning the banana skin game v UQ (led 19-0) in round 1 and the last gasp defeats v Bond and Wests. We all know they will fight to the end of the season.

UQ will rebuild. Always going to be a transition season after the big coaching change. Losses are learning lessons Uni.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
GPS has norths and Sunnybank upcoming. If you were to back the favourites they’ll walk away with 10 points there…

If they beat brothers this weekend - I think they will be the team for the 4th spot.

Belly

Frank Row (1)
Perhaps i didn't explain it well or maybe ppl just dont care but a trainer was told that he is to make sure that the player being removed from the field is not taken off as a "head knock" (even if it is) in order to bypass the concussion protocols that come with it e.g mandatory standdown.

I would of thought that in our day and age where concussion is huge it'd be an issue.

I guess not. play on.
that's appalling if true. Wouldn't happen at our club.

Belly

Frank Row (1)
Are all head knock cases a mandatory stand down? Or does the player have to have failed the criteria? And what is the criteria?
See attached. It's mandatory that all Team Managers have a couple of copies of this with them as well as the Graduated Return to Play Protocol for any player showing signs of concussion. At Norths we're very strict with it. We've even made players who weren't issued a blue card stand down because they showed concussion signs. And we make no apologies for that. Have seen a fair few other clubs have significantly different approaches to it.

Attachments

• RugbyAustraliaHeadInjuryFactSheet2019.pdf
    160.2 KB · Views: 98

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The reality is the last place these concussion protocols are going to be enforced strongly are club games. They aren't professional and there isn't a doctor watching on the sideline for each and every game across the grades.

Good on the clubs who are enforcing things. But I've seen plenty of lower grade players across numerous clubs cop a fairly obvious head knock and then refuse to listen to directives from their coaching staff/management to leave the field. What are the coaches supposed to do? Carry them off? Threaten to fine them? It's the wild west and only players/teams that want to follow directives do so.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Lot of head knocks are simply missed… it’s not like qpr is at level of super rugby with video replay.

If a player shows signs but medical staff miss the initial concussion… it’s kind of on the onus of the player in that scenario… but what player is going to sub themselves off after going dizzy

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Lot of head knocks are simply missed… it’s not like qpr is at level of super rugby with video replay.
Even at super level they missed foul play which resulted in Connor Vest's neck injury so I wouldn't say they're setting the best standard.

Hope his recovery is going well and would be awesome to see him coming back through club rugby in the future.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
GPS has norths and Sunnybank upcoming. If you were to back the favourites they’ll walk away with 10 points there…

If they beat brothers this weekend - I think they will be the team for the 4th spot.
Yes they should walk away with 10 points and do everyone a favour by beating Brothers.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Bit late to the party I am, but looks like Norths are the first to announce 1st Grade coaches for 2024. Pat Byron departing (hearing he picked up a head of sport job) and being replaced by Dan Ritchie.

Attachments

• 9710F0CC-0F6F-46A8-93E7-285E6F3C4578.jpeg
    9710F0CC-0F6F-46A8-93E7-285E6F3C4578.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 86

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
GPS have named probably their strongest team this season, the halves pairing will be their weakness IMO - Brothers have named 6 starters that have played more 2nd Grade/Colts games than 1st Grade this season, not sure why they have left Taylor Adams in 2nd Grade very bizarre.

Belly

Frank Row (1)
The reality is the last place these concussion protocols are going to be enforced strongly are club games. They aren't professional and there isn't a doctor watching on the sideline for each and every game across the grades.

Good on the clubs who are enforcing things. But I've seen plenty of lower grade players across numerous clubs cop a fairly obvious head knock and then refuse to listen to directives from their coaching staff/management to leave the field. What are the coaches supposed to do? Carry them off? Threaten to fine them? It's the wild west and only players/teams that want to follow directives do so.

If a player shows signs but medical staff miss the initial concussion… it’s kind of on the onus of the player in that scenario… but what player is going to sub themselves off after going dizzy
Yeh there's Doctors at every QPR ground every week. There's also physio's. QRU, rightly got serious about the qualifications of physios/strappers etc at the start of the year to make sure everyone is appropriately qualified and across the concussion protocol. There's no H.I.A in QPR. If a player is showing signs of concussion he/she is off, no ifs, butts or maybes. If the player refused to come off, which we had 1 instance of this year in 4th Grade, we sent the physio at the next break in play and have a discussion where a blue card was then showed. Can't speak for other clubs, but at Norths, concussion is a non-negotiable.

And no, the onus is NOT on the player. It's on the physio/medic and the ref. As it should be. After all, we don't want any current players ending up with a head like mine!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Belly easier said than done spotting head knocks when you don’t have the advantage of video replay like they do in super rugby. If neither ref, medic of doctor doesn’t see the incident and player has play on mentality then yeah of course it’s up to the player

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
With the situation I raised, the coach was actually fine for the player to come off the field.

He was more aggravated at the fact that the trainer was eluding to a head knock which makes me think he cared more about next weeks game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For the first time in three years, the spiritual home of Queensland Rugby will host all deciders across nine grades including Men’s and Women’s Premier Grade, plus Colts 1, 2 and 3 on Saturday August 26 and Sunday 27 August.

The major Semi Finals will be contested at Brothers (Store Local Hospital Cup, QPR Premier Women, Colts 1 and 2nd Grade) and Norths (3rd Grade, 4th Grade, 5th Grade, Colts 2 and Colts 3) on the Saturday while all minor Semi Finals to be played at Easts on Sunday August 13.

GPS will host the Preliminary Finals the following weekend on Saturday August 19, while the lower grades will be played at Sunnybank the following day.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
With the inclusion of David and Sef the Bankers look half decent for an upset over the students - David is a Hatrick on his own.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
GPS have named probably their strongest team this season, the halves pairing will be their weakness IMO - Brothers have named 6 starters that have played more 2nd Grade/Colts games than 1st Grade this season, not sure why they have left Taylor Adams in 2nd Grade very bizarre.
Very bizarre. Good player.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
For the first time in three years, the spiritual home of Queensland Rugby will host all deciders across nine grades including Men’s and Women’s Premier Grade, plus Colts 1, 2 and 3 on Saturday August 26 and Sunday 27 August.

The major Semi Finals will be contested at Brothers (Store Local Hospital Cup, QPR Premier Women, Colts 1 and 2nd Grade) and Norths (3rd Grade, 4th Grade, 5th Grade, Colts 2 and Colts 3) on the Saturday while all minor Semi Finals to be played at Easts on Sunday August 13.

GPS will host the Preliminary Finals the following weekend on Saturday August 19, while the lower grades will be played at Sunnybank the following day.

And nothing at Wests. Should never be finals or 7s there again. It’s atrocious. Nowhere to warm up.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Yes the second field. If you’re not playing on it. Otherwise it’s the carpark or Memorial Park. Pretty poor foresight by the planners, not to mention the state of the turf that has been widely discussed on this forum. So the premiers get no home finals; a shame for their club.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t think it’s the state of our fields why wests not hosting… looks like a bit of rotation happening with the hosts… last year wests, gps got to host and it doesn’t look like it’s replicated in 2023.