• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Elton Berrange announced to step up into the vacant spot at UQ left by Mick Heenan moving to Reds.

Garrick Morgan moving in at Souths.

Any other coaching announcements made yet?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
there’s a vacancy at Sunnybank.

Fair to say Norths will continue on with Pat Byron. (Otherwise it would of been advertised)

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
there’s a vacancy at Sunnybank.

Fair to say Norths will continue on with Pat Byron. (Otherwise it would of been advertised)
I thought I saw Norths advertise on Sportspeople as soon as Round 18 was done.......they did after all, finish earlier than anyone else with the bye in the last round.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Hearing Rico Gear is the main man at Sunnybank next year with Ron Riori from Wests. Pretty good crew I reckon, Rico did a good job with Bond Colts last year.

I'm also hearing there's a mini tug-o-war between Norths and Wests over a norths coach.
Kelevi? He played at Wests for at least a season or two way back in the day.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
good on Rob Roiri… actually a lot of respect for him @The Whisperer. When his nephew left for East tigers this season, Rob still hung around as part of colts setup…. Hopefully Taine follows his Uncle down to Sunnybank.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
So I must be missing something… in two seasons at Norths, they ran 2nd last in 2021 & 5th in 2022 - Never made Finals.

I would think he would be looking to try and make finals with Colts first.
Geez your a tough task master, took over a bunch of misfits who always finished last, turned them into an attacking weapon in 2022, poor internal management saw them miss the semis, no excuses there that should of never happened. 3 players make the Qld u19 side and one makes Australian u18 side. I call that really good coaching.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNobody

Frank Row (1)
Geez your a tough task master, took over a bunch of misfits who always finished last, turned them into an attacking weapon in 2022, poor internal management saw them miss the semis, no excuses there that should of never happened. 3 players make the Qld u19 side and one makes Australian u18 side. I call that really good coaching.
Coaching and Talent ID.
Hopefully Norths can retain these Blokes along with the others that are moving through to Senior Rugby for 2023 and build something.

TheListener

Frank Row (1)
Coaching and Talent ID.
Hopefully Norths can retain these Blokes along with the others that are moving through to Senior Rugby for 2023 and build something.
Dan was very strategic, got himself a good assistant who was a mate of his, had premiership success with Rob Roiri in the Colts 1 space at Sunnybank. and a very professional S & C with a good reputation from SLC I think. All very ambitious and hard-working. They also knew that culture was the key to long-term success for the program and the club, not recruiting mercenaries from everywhere. One of the board members sons was influential and a lot of disgruntled Villa boys followed him from Easts.

Think you are a tough task master saying they are a bunch of misfits. Many came through the schoolboy pathway rather than the Reds one, so may have been unknowns because of that, with a few tough Padua kids thrown in.

Only the Norths leadership could stuff it up from here, by maintaining the current Prems set up, continuing their current dependence on mercenries. If they were smart they would be embracing the new generation, rewarding their own coaches and players who have contributed to lets we say great improvements, to keep everyone happy. Otherwise they risk losing coaches, not just players, like they did this year.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Dan was very strategic, got himself a good assistant who was a mate of his, had premiership success with Rob Roiri in the Colts 1 space at Sunnybank. and a very professional S & C with a good reputation from SLC I think. All very ambitious and hard-working. They also knew that culture was the key to long-term success for the program and the club, not recruiting mercenaries from everywhere. One of the board members sons was influential and a lot of disgruntled Villa boys followed him from Easts.

Think you are a tough task master saying they are a bunch of misfits. Many came through the schoolboy pathway rather than the Reds one, so may have been unknowns because of that, with a few tough Padua kids thrown in.

Only the Norths leadership could stuff it up from here, by maintaining the current Prems set up, continuing their current dependence on mercenries. If they were smart they would be embracing the new generation, rewarding their own coaches and players who have contributed to lets we say great improvements, to keep everyone happy. Otherwise they risk losing coaches, not just players, like they did this year.
@TheListener i was a little tongue in cheek with that comment, more a dig at the club for their haphazard program over many years rather than their current playing group. Agree Norths have a great chance to change their fortunes in the seniors with the program they have put together in Colts. Change needs to flow thru the whole club however.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can’t really see or forecast any improvement coming for Norths in 2023. Their colts 1 didn’t play finals footy so how will that drive any success in the higher grades at Norths? Unfortunately for Norths it looks like more of the same to me.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I can’t really see or forecast any improvement coming for Norths in 2023. Their colts 1 didn’t play finals footy so how will that drive any success in the higher grades at Norths? Unfortunately for Norths it looks like more of the same to me.

They were pretty close too playing finals footy.

finished the season on bye week but 2nd last round of season in a game against wests which was a must win… they put a cricket score on the bulldogs colts.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Enjoy it whilst you can - their clubs building mate unfortunately they don’t have a super rugby club to prop up their club players like the Bulldogs. But their Colts smashed Wests Colts who featured numerous contracted players - life’s a cycle - Wests have had a very ordinary past decade given their playing roster. I’m led to believe atleast one of the Bulldogs Reds players jumped ship to Wests last year for less than $1000 - who knows what he will do next year for $2000 which could also be said about Raboiliku.