• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh you'd think so. It would be good to have a couple come through, but I can't see why there would be an influx of blokes coming from a professional setup into the QPR.

Rather I think we might see the MLR take on a number of them.

The washup effect of the whole situation could be more Aussie's returning to shore due to teams being flooded with English players.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah the USA exchange rate for MLR would make them a little more competitive when it comes to recruiting going up against Japan and Europe

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeh you'd think so. It would be good to have a couple come through, but I can't see why there would be an influx of blokes coming from a professional setup into the QPR.

Rather I think we might see the MLR take on a number of them.

The washup effect of the whole situation could be more Aussie's returning to shore due to teams being flooded with English players.
Everything going on with the Giltinis and Gilgronis means the MLR probably won't have a huge amount of room for an influx of foreign players. Not that they'll end up here instead. A lot of it will probably come down to what the Premiership decides to do going forward, and if this leads to either a reduction in teams or salary cap.

A few of the English players could do a stint here like Lancaster though, and I posted in another thread I'd love to see RA swoop on Louis Lynagh after he has seemingly fallen behind a Quins teammate in the England pecking order. It's probably more likely we see a few of those MLR players popping up here though - Cotrell, Beauchamp, Den Hoedt, etc.

Craven Moorehead

Frank Row (1)
Bottom line is the english situation is bringing to the open that clubs/franchises burn lots of cash in the current format of player payments.
The smart administrators are going to address this for sure. I think some players will end up pricing themselves out of a role.

My thought is more along the lines of some of the younger guys in academies (little or no wage) might look to travel and play and pick up some dollars in other ways. Develop and enhance their skills in a new environment while the League gets sorted out.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
A few of the English players could do a stint here like Lancaster though, and I posted in another thread I'd love to see Rugby Australia swoop on Louis Lynagh after he has seemingly fallen behind a Quins teammate in the England pecking order. It's probably more likely we see a few of those MLR players popping up here though - Cotrell, Beauchamp, Den Hoedt, etc.
Last time I spoke to Beacho he had met a nice Texan girl and was looking to permanently lay down his roots over there, his family had flown over to meet her etc. good on him for taking advantage of a new opportunity.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Also Angus Cottrell has announced his retirement from rugby… would of loved to seen him back at the kennel for a swan song… if he gets the itch QPR is where it’s at.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
A few of the English players could do a stint here like Lancaster though, and I posted in another thread I'd love to see Rugby Australia swoop on Louis Lynagh after he has seemingly fallen behind a Quins teammate in the England pecking order. It's probably more likely we see a few of those MLR players popping up here though - Cotrell, Beauchamp, Den Hoedt, etc.
L-Lynagh injured currently, and unless he's had a sudden change of heart despite the eligibility tug of war between the various countries he seems rusted onto the red rose, not sure it's worth bringing him out in the current climate.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Rather be in Annan shoes.. no pressure, go out and play some footy knowing If it doesn’t work out you got position flexibility in the centres or at fullback.

Lynagh on the other hand, big shoes to fill following on from his fathers legacy - won’t be lining up anywhere else other then 10… also probably doesn’t help being down at UQ knowing there’s an all star backline there and it might be tough nudging out someone of Brad Twidale calibre.

Craven Moorehead

Frank Row (1)
I watched the u19s NRC game over the weekend, and some colts games through the year, does anyone else think Harry McLaughlin Phillips might be better than them both?

P.S Am a souths supporter so might be a little bias
I think HMP is definitely the pick of the crop at the moment.

Long term I think Annan will move to fullback - or RL

Lynagh and HMP would make a great 10-12 pairing. Both have strong deceptive running skills.

I think Lynagh will play at 12 for UQ next year. Learn off Twidale.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I think HMP is definitely the pick of the crop at the moment.

Long term I think Annan will move to fullback - or Rugby League

Lynagh and HMP would make a great 10-12 pairing. Both have strong deceptive running skills.

I think Lynagh will play at 12 for UQ next year. Learn off Twidale.
Have to agree and I’m a Uni supporter but not sold on Twidale - good footballer quite predictable and moderately inconsistent for mine.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Talking about Lynagh. Who was the better performer in the colts final Lynagh or Taj Anan?

The Challenger series showed Lynagh is a better 10 than Creighton and Twidale, Taj is not even in the conversation.

I think a few people got found out in the Challenger series, Werchon was definitely one of them to name a few. Perhaps being young and an academy player is his get out of jail free card - Werchon got man handled by Jeans who walked through him to score a try, then to still get a seat on the plane makes no sense.

If you have ever wondered like me, why the Reds have such a low percentage of players in the Wallaby match day 23, these types of selections are probably the answer to that question.

Lastly GPS, poor GPS - the lads obviously pissed someone off, to barely get a sniff of players in the Challenger series is beyond me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Werchon got man handled by Jeans who walked through him to score a try, then to still get a seat on the plane makes no sense.
They decided to take three SHs. I thought Pilz was pretty poor so next man in across both squads was Werchon. Perhaps if Christian didnt go to the Rebels he'd have got the spot but it makes sense to me.

Lastly GPS, poor GPS - the lads obviously pissed someone off, to barely get a sniff of players in the Challenger series is beyond me.
GPS had 4 across the two squads which seems fair. A couple more in U19s. Firstly you know whether anyone else was invited and actually turned it down (as often happens with amateurs). Then its probably worthwhile suggesting who would you pick instead? I'm a Josh Collins fan so would have liked him in there but he was out with injury a fair bit this year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
With regards to GPS, there would be a few of their better performers who wouldn’t be eligible to play for the Reds maybe?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think a few people got found out in the Challenger series, Werchon was definitely one of them to name a few. Perhaps being young and an academy player is his get out of jail free card - Werchon got man handled by Jeans who walked through him to score a try, then to still get a seat on the plane makes no sense.
Hard to be too critical about the bloke who will essentially be 4th string halfback for the Reds, barring 3 injuries he probably doesn't see game time.

I think it's Tate 1st, daylight second, Jeans and Thomas fighting it out for the bench spot and then Werchon or whomever as the break glass in case of emergency player for 2023.