• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why is a bloke who is a reserve grade half back (granted a junior wallaby) who did not even play in his preferred position in the reserve grade grand final of so much interest? Or is it just the way he carries himself. Maybe he needs to get some consistent QPR performances on his card before his agent can start writing the cheques. Why doesn’t he hop in the car and drive down to Shaw Road if he wants a guaranteed QPR start?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Why is a bloke who is a reserve grade half back (granted a junior wallaby) who did not even play in his preferred position in the reserve grade grand final of so much interest? Or is it just the way he carries himself. Maybe he needs to get some consistent QPR performances on his card before his agent can start writing the cheques. Why doesn’t he hop in the car and drive down to Shaw Road if he wants a guaranteed QPR start?

I believe he was a colts playing premier reserves which in my humble opinion is a better level of competition for his development.

I think if we looked at it thru spectrum of “colts” player then it would be simply he’s looking to further his development by looking for a qpr spot.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe he was a colts playing premier reserves which in my humble opinion is a better level of competition for his development.

I think if we looked at it thru spectrum of “colts” player then it would be simply he’s looking to further his development by looking for a qpr spot.
Maybe what he needs to do is earn the spot rather than be given one… I know this is “old school” thinking.
competition and being dropped in rugby these days is a big no no! Maybe it’s what’s wrong with our game up top.

The moment it isn’t an easy road players falter.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Not sure why this quoted me?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are some good young 9s playing QPR.

Reds squad member, Spencer Jeans and Kalani Thomas but Connor O’Regan, Eli Pilz, Hudson Meyer, Cullin Cooper-Jones, Mosiah Christian and a few like Werchon, Farrer, Scarff and Johnstone coming through. Any other?

Bumble B

Stan Wickham (3)
Word is that a few club teams have lined up the Reds academy as a trial game. I know Bond was confirmed to play against them. Also saw Wests mentioning a game against Sydney Uni at some stage and Brothers playing Randwick. Some great rugby to kick us off for 2023 if this was the case.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Word is that a few club teams have lined up the Reds academy as a trial game. I know Bond was confirmed to play against them. Also saw Wests mentioning a game against Sydney Uni at some stage and Brothers playing Randwick. Some great rugby to kick us off for 2023 if this was the case.

the wests vs Sydney unI game would be the Australian club rugby championship game. It usually alternates between qld and nsw

anyone know where UQ played their club championship game this season?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah , Easts hosted Gordon in 2021 for a rare win over the SS champions. Sydney Uni hosted UQ in 2020 just before the initial Covid lockdown.

Guessing that means this year’s game would have been in Sydney had it taken place, so maybe Wests are hosting Sydney Uni early next year?

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Apparently he had a meeting with Norths at the end of the season but wanted crazy money to go there. Was also seen having a very intense conversation with the Wests Premier Grade Coach during the 7’s that were recently held at Norths.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Maybe I am nieve or just too old fashioned but I don’t think QPR clubs should pay their players - I know it happens but I just like the romantic notion of amateurism.

The players get paid at the next level, so i say leave the cash out of club rugby. It might be the player managers who have created the culture of clubs paying players?

Player managers is a topic that could have its own forum.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently he had a meeting with Norths at the end of the season but wanted crazy money to go there. Was also seen having a very intense conversation with the Wests Premier Grade Coach during the 7’s that were recently held at Norths.
What’s his evidence of work that would justify crazy money? Maybe his manager needs to give him a lesson in being humble rather than how to be a mercinary. Or maybe he just needs to hop on a plane to Japan now.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I know what you mean Bulldog, but those days are gone.

The reality is the amateurism of our grassroots level game is a big issue for player retention. From my knowledge, there are about 3 grades of teams playing in the QRL who get match payments, even 1st grade soccer players get match payments.

I understand that's a different issue to clubs paying players to jump ship. But I think the funding of the clubs and making these players feel valued needs to be looked at, particularly if we aren't getting an NRC product back.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
i think the case to pay players has been more stronger then ever. We are 3 or 4 years removed from QRU putting the games live on YouTube (without commentary) to now a professional product being telecasted live on channel 9 / free to air.

what would a player payment look like? I am unsure - that’s up to the rugby clubs - but maybe Stan could swing every capped player a small 50.00 payment and the win is 100.00.

happy to hear feedback on this topic… I think we are at the stage where qpr is moving out from amateur status into whatever realm awaits us next

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Are the clubs getting a slice of the Stan Pie? Or is it just going to the QRU?
Surely if the clubs are benefiting directly from the broadcasting on Stan it makes sense to reward the players.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Surely if the clubs are benefiting directly from the broadcasting on Stan it makes sense to reward the players.

I'm quite naive in terms of how broadcasting deals work, particularly these digital products - but without sponsorship and advertising, the QRU Stan deal probably isn't a very significant pie? And when I say without sponsorship, I mean, I don't think any additional sponsors have come onboard for the Hospital Cup that weren't already involved pre-Stan, therefore the pot of gold isn't necessarily larger than it was during the YouTube days. That may change going forward.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm quite naive in terms of how broadcasting deals work, particularly these digital products - but without sponsorship and advertising, the QRU Stan deal probably isn't a very significant pie? And when I say without sponsorship, I mean, I don't think any additional sponsors have come onboard for the Hospital Cup that weren't already involved pre-Stan, therefore the pot of gold isn't necessarily larger than it was during the YouTube days. That may change going forward.
Store Local certainly came onboard. Granted the owner is a former President of The Filth but they came on board nonetheless towards the end of the 22 season and are most definitely staying for 2023. I'm hearing the Hospital Cup logo is changing to reflect the major sponsorship so I'd hazard a guess it's for longer than 23 as well.

The clubs get a cut of the Stan pie yes. I believe it's around the $35-$40k p.a mark. The broadcast deal is a RA deal, not a QRU deal. But QRU clip the ticket on the way through also, though I don't know how much for.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
i think the case to pay players has been more stronger then ever. We are 3 or 4 years removed from QRU putting the games live on YouTube (without commentary) to now a professional product being telecasted live on channel 9 / free to air.

what would a player payment look like? I am unsure - that’s up to the rugby clubs - but maybe Stan could swing every capped player a small 50.00 payment and the win is 100.00.

happy to hear feedback on this topic… I think we are at the stage where qpr is moving out from amateur status into whatever realm awaits us next
By capped assume you mean the Super Rugby and Wallabies capped players. They're the ones that don't need to be paid to play club Rugby. They're already getting paid.