• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Maybe I am nieve or just too old fashioned but I don’t think QPR clubs should pay their players - I know it happens but I just like the romantic notion of amateurism.

The players get paid at the next level, so i say leave the cash out of club rugby. It might be the player managers who have created the culture of clubs paying players?

Player managers is a topic that could have its own forum.
Yet your club pays way more than anybody else!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
By capped assume you mean the Super Rugby and Wallabies capped players. They're the ones that don't need to be paid to play club Rugby. They're already getting paid.

by capped. I mean “premier grade cap”

pay the 23 guys who play premier grade that weekend… even if it’s a small amount.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Store Local certainly came onboard. Granted the owner is a former President of The Filth but they came on board nonetheless towards the end of the 22 season and are most definitely staying for 2023. I'm hearing the Hospital Cup logo is changing to reflect the major sponsorship so I'd hazard a guess it's for longer than 23 as well.

Yes, sorry I should have clarified. I know there was a naming rights sponsor for the Hospital Cup, but to my knowledge, no additional sponsors came onboard for the broadcast opportunities. I imagine increasing funding provided to clubs/players, the QRU would need to sign up a couple more sponsors who would be provided a physical presence across all the QPR grounds on game day, as well as advertising opportunities during the broadcast.

The way QPR and clubland is currently done, the clubs have done the heavy lifting to get themselves major sponsors etc. If QPR are to transition from amateur into a more professional setup, how those QPR/QRU level sponsors interact with the already established club level sponsors who probably assumed they'd be given prime position will need to be looked at, which I imagine is already happening in the background.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Is Brothers still the only club to charge admission?

Has anyone seen any stats on viewer numbers of the Store Local Hospital Cup? That is what will drive revenue. It is great that the coverage exists complemented by additional Clubland exposure, player interview spots and the fact all the game replays are available to watch each week too.

Overall a fantastic package.

Would like to see its trajectory continue but perhaps digital sponsorship is next to shore up its long term sustainability - you know the logos on the field that are not really there? Come on Westpac or Santos or Canterbury or Rio Tinto etc....support the grassroots.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
I call bullshit

any reputable player agent knows that qpr clubs don’t have lying around a full years wage salary to pay 18 saturdays of amateur rugby.
It might be, but that was the figure that was being thrown around. He is good but not worth that money for an “amateur“ and he also wasn’t a Reds capped player when discussions were being had.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I call bullshit

any reputable player agent knows that qpr clubs don’t have lying around a full years wage salary to pay 18 saturdays of amateur rugby.
You are 100% correct.
From what I was told, He wanted to come to Norths (as he is close mates with the Sunny Coast boys at Norths) and was told they would not guarantee him the starting 9 spot as they were happy with Connor O'Regan already.
Take that with what you will.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
You are 100% correct.
From what I was told, He wanted to come to Norths (as he is close mates with the Sunny Coast boys at Norths) and was told they would not guarantee him the starting 9 spot as they were happy with Connor O'Regan already.
Take that with what you will.

thats the right attitude by Pat Byron imo.

yes they need to bring in more talent but not at the expense of the other loyal norths men.

Louis should just make the switch and back his talents!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely if Werchon sticks at Brothers he will get a decent run this year in 1st grade, hasn't Christian been signed up with the Rebels?

I don't think they have great halfback depth/he could be making his way to Wests

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Surely if Werchon sticks at Brothers he will get a decent run this year in 1st grade, hasn't Christian been signed up with the Rebels?

I don't think they have great halfback depth/he could be making his way to Wests
The Wests move has been brought up here before, get the connection with the Rebels , but why would they want three of their contracted halfbacks all at the one club? Surely the Rebels would want them all playing first grade , not warming the pine for one another?

Last edited:

BrambleBay

Frank Row (1)
thats the right attitude by Pat Byron imo.

yes they need to bring in more talent but not at the expense of the other loyal norths men.

Louis should just make the switch and back his talents!
Sorry I have to step in on this one. It wasn't Pat Byron who put his foot down, he & board were quite happy to see it happen. It was the other players & coaches kicking up a stink about trying to build something more in the club, rather paying blokes for 1st Grade. From what I seen Pat has more than happy to perpetate the mercenary culture that Norths have had in the past 10 years. Unfortunately my (long) time at Norths has fought against quite a bit of this culture, but probably won't ever go back as I don't see it ever changing.

Current Director of Rugby (sacked from Brothers & doesn't look like he has much success elsewhere) & most recent board members want to go that direction as well, thinking a bought 1st grade team will fix everything (including pumping junior money into it). Forgetting that a club is more than 15 1st graders.

No wonder almost all of Norths Juniors end up elsewhere. QRU needs to seriously go through the club & give them a deadline to fix stuff up, otherwise kick them out & promote clubs who will (USC, Noosa, Cabo, Wynnum, etc.)

BrambleBay

Frank Row (1)
Sorry I have to step in on this one. It wasn't Pat Byron who put his foot down, he & board were quite happy to see it happen. It was the other players & coaches kicking up a stink about trying to build something more in the club, rather paying blokes for 1st Grade. From what I seen Pat has more than happy to perpetate the mercenary culture that Norths have had in the past 10 years. Unfortunately my (long) time at Norths has fought against quite a bit of this culture, but probably won't ever go back as I don't see it ever changing.

Current Director of Rugby (sacked from Brothers & doesn't look like he has much success elsewhere) & most recent board members want to go that direction as well, thinking a bought 1st grade team will fix everything (including pumping junior money into it). Forgetting that a club is more than 15 1st graders.

No wonder almost all of Norths Juniors end up elsewhere. QRU needs to seriously go through the club & give them a deadline to fix stuff up, otherwise kick them out & promote clubs who will (USC, Noosa, Cabo, Wynnum, etc.)
Also Werchon wanted cash payment, which again Pat & DOR pushed for.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
How does Norths have $50k to throw at a player? Was the money coming from particular sponsor? Seems like a lot of coin for any club to throw at any player for a season, particularly one who could be away on rep duties for a period.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)

Tissue?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How does Norths have $50k to throw at a player? Was the money coming from particular sponsor? Seems like a lot of coin for any club to throw at any player for a season, particularly one who could be away on rep duties for a period.

Don’t entertain this rumour dude

there’s way too many “newly created” accounts out here doing the dirty work of someone else. you are close to people at norths… go ask them for the inside word and stop entertaining these shit stirrers.

BrambleBay

Frank Row (1)
Nope, through commercial operations. One thing Norths have done extremely well over the past through is ensuring that the club is financially sustainable (bar, events & facilty usage). There is so much potential there, but the fact they wish to wash it away on paying players does upset me.

Norths have had a severe lack of quality & quantity in the lower grades, why not subsidise fees for them (they'd spend it over the bar during the year), plus you could then get some of those blokes falling away to stay rather than them thinking that they are unloved. You could invest in Colts recruitment & retention especially through Juniors, build the love of the Club through them (plus have potential1st graders at the end of it based on the quality of players in the Junior club). Why not fund a DO for local schools & recruitment, because the current staff/board/coaches sure as he'll won't.

There are so many solutions but again the path forward is money for 1st Grade mercenaries. I've seen much worse days for the club, but that was just after professionalism. With QPR becoming a a more professional-standard competition Norths need to be better or they will die. And that would be a very sad day for me, but one that would be deserved based on their actions.