• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

BrambleBay

Frank Row (1)
Don’t entertain this rumour dude

there’s way too many “newly created” accounts out here doing the dirty work of someone else. you are close to people at norths… go ask them for the inside word and stop entertaining these shit stirrers.
I've been apart of Norths for over 30 years (player, coach & financial supporter, especially in the tough times.)

The outgoing president (who resigned midyear) I had really high hopes for 8 years ago, and I personally backed him with many old-boys at highly contentious AGM. Financially the club is better than ever, partly thanks to ex-pres who was awarded a life membership on Monday in thanks. However rugby wise we are at the same level as when he took over, & mercenary culture has been reinforced.

I love Norths, but I can't see it changing one bit for now.

BrambleBay

Frank Row (1)
If you're that passionate about the club. Jump on the committee and make the changes from within.

Standing on the sidelines bleating about it won't change a thing.
Only one board member, that is nominated by members outside of the established management group of the past 8 years, was elected at AGM. Can't do much with one voice out of 10.

I don't disagree with most of what the board does anyway, financially Norths are doing well. Facilities wise, extremely well. Just rugby needs a lot of work, and we seem to not take advantage of when we have opportunities. And the longer it takes to fix, the more time the rest of the clubs have to get even better.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
However rugby wise we are at the same level as when he took over, & mercenary culture has been reinforced.

I love Norths, but I can't see it changing one bit for now.
Every Prem Team in the QPR has a fair portion of the playing group that I'd term "mercenary." These Players do move around a fair bit to get exposure and hopefully for them a professional gig.
Without getting RugbyReg or SouthernX bent out of shape, have a look at that West team in the final.

BrambleBay

Frank Row (1)
Every Prem Team in the QPR has a fair portion of the playing group that I'd term "mercenary." These Players do move around a fair bit to get exposure and hopefully for them a professional gig.
Without getting RugbyReg or SouthernX bent out of shape, have a look at that West team in the final.
I think the difference being that most of the other clubs have had good depth in grades & colts reinforcing the top, & frequently have at least 1 team in finals every year (plus every club but Norths has won a premiership of some sorts in the last 5 years.) Norths have finished bottom or second bottom of Doughty Shield every year. I'd more than happy to "buy" players if it were plugging holes in our depth. However we have no depth to plug holes in. It definitely is frustrating as a Norths man to see it happen over and over again.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lets not kid ourselves players are being paid under the table all over QPR and that is fact not opinion - if someone is willing to pay him for his services so beit. I dont think Werchon has done anything to justify being paid besides beat an under strength Souths 2nd Grade team with a stacked Brothers 2nd grade Team, but if Norths want to pay or any club for that matter good on him.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
How does Norths have $50k to throw at a player? Was the money coming from particular sponsor? Seems like a lot of coin for any club to throw at any player for a season, particularly one who could be away on rep duties for a period.
They don’t and that is why he didn’t go there.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely if Werchon sticks at Brothers he will get a decent run this year in 1st grade, hasn't Christian been signed up with the Rebels?

I don't think they have great halfback depth/he could be making his way to Wests
He is going to Wests. He informed Brendan Gabbett on Thursday afternoon

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
He is going to Wests. He informed Brendan Gabbett on Thursday afternoon
Seems bizarre . Any halfbacks in the Colts system showing promise at Wests?

It’s a real balancing act keeping the developing talent when you have a Super Rugby Club filling up First Grade. Not sure how I would feel about it I was 19/20 years of age and looking at what the next opportunity (or lack of) is.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Werchon played flyhalf last year - perhaps that’s why he is coming?

Played fullback in the 2nd grade GF as well, but I’m sure he’s in the Reds system as a scrum half so you’d think they’d want him playing majority of footy in that position.

Maybe he’s planning to become the next Ben Lucas.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Seems bizarre . Any halfbacks in the Colts system showing promise at Wests?

It’s a real balancing act keeping the developing talent when you have a Super Rugby Club filling up First Grade. Not sure how I would feel about it I was 19/20 years of age and looking at what the next opportunity (or lack of) is.

I mean Wests definitely showing the short term benefits of the arrangement, two strong years in 1st grade now culminating in a premiership. Players enjoy playing for successful clubs.

I can’t see them getting any weaker over the next couple of seasons but long term, that model is heavily tied to the success of the Rebels and Victorian rugby.

I’m sure at some point, someone on the Rebels board will want to keep that talent in the state and attempt to build their comp again. Or the financial department might start wooing up the flights. How much forewarning they give Wests will be important for the club because if they pull the pin suddenly (and considering there is no ‘formal’ contractual arrangement between the two entities as far as I know, this could happen) Wests would be stuck with a group of 2nd graders playing 1sts.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
I mean Wests definitely showing the short term benefits of the arrangement, two strong years in 1st grade now culminating in a premiership. Players enjoy playing for successful clubs.

I can’t see them getting any weaker over the next couple of seasons but long term, that model is heavily tied to the success of the Rebels and Victorian rugby.

I’m sure at some point, someone on the Rebels board will want to keep that talent in the state and attempt to build their comp again. Or the financial department might start wooing up the flights. How much forewarning they give Wests will be important for the club because if they pull the pin suddenly (and considering there is no ‘formal’ contractual arrangement between the two entities as far as I know, this could happen) Wests would be stuck with a group of 2nd graders playing 1sts.
One thing to remember though is that those “2nd graders” you mention play Prems for most of the year. It’s only when the super rugby guys come back that they play 2nd grade

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
thats the right attitude by Pat Byron imo.

yes they need to bring in more talent but not at the expense of the other loyal norths men.

Louis should just make the switch and back his talents!
O’Reagan isn’t loyal. He went to the filth and when he realised he would be in colts 2 behind Werchon he went back to Norths.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Don’t entertain this rumour dude

there’s way too many “newly created” accounts out here doing the dirty work of someone else. you are close to people at norths… go ask them for the inside word and stop entertaining these shit stirrers.
Who is shit stirring? Norths are a mess and need fixing. Werchon had very in depth conversations with them but wanted too much $$. They were also chasing a number of other filth players but they chose not plot go for various reasons

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
One thing to remember though is that those “2nd graders” you mention play Prems for most of the year. It’s only when the super rugby guys come back that they play 2nd grade

Wests had various guys from the Rebels academy, wider training squad and non-match day squad members playing 1st grade for the entire season, they weren’t just bolstered by a couple of Super Rugby players for the last few games.

Bumble B

Stan Wickham (3)
I was just having a look at that GF teams and can only see a couple of players in both teams from the Rebels that weren't at the club before the 2022 season. Clearly both UQ and Wests have a good relationship with Melbourne which seems to be working well based on the seasons results.

Looking at the top 5/6 clubs, I find it interesting that all clubs are building some sort of an external relationship with other teams.
UQ/Rebels
Bond/Drua
Wests/Rebels
Brothers/Randwick but always had a close connection with Reds
GPS/Fiji/Drua - are they touring there in the off season? Might bring a couple of players back with them
Easts - Canberra? Heard Mowen is signed there already for 2024. Tigers Colts recruitment should pay off by then

I reckon the more top players playing in the QPR the better the rugby, the brand on Stan and also development for other players in the pathway.

2023 season will be a cracker as the bottom few teams are clearly spending big so it could really narrow the gap between all the teams

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don’t know whether spending big on a few players is the key ingredient I think depth within your premier grade squad is the key to success and that is something that is developed over a number of seasons. Obviously if a club is there or their abouts, then the addition of a couple of quality players in key positions can make a huge impact. You need solid foundations before you need to worry about interior design.