• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
My two cents

YES TOP 4
Wests - Maybe depends if enough return from last year
UQ - Probably cause it is in the DNA of the place
Brothers - have been building and good players moving up to grades

NO WAY
Bond - No chance not enough depth
Sunnybank -will move up but it is a slow climb
Easts - something not gelling over there at the moment

SMOKIES / MAYBE
Souths - Recruited well especially under GM
Norths - Will surprise a few this year especially if some of the 2022 colts move up.
GPS - Pretty good roster with a heavy PI influence which brings depth.

Will be another season of very close contests and am sure there are upsets galore on the cards.

Bond and East may not be Top 4 in 2023 - but bet your house they will make up 95% of the 2023 QPR Challenge team lol

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maile Ngauamo down at wests. Along with a few new faces (some leaguies. Some foreigners) who were attracted to Elwee and his ability to develop club players into contracted players.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
So wests are going to have Ethan Dobbins, Maile Ngauamo and then Jordan Uelese come end of super season?
Tough call who doesn’t make the 23

Maile will be looking for a fully contracted opportunity ASAP.

I respect him for what he offers on the field, but there are plenty of peripheral issues with him which I’m sure GPS will be glad they aren’t dealing with anymore.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Maile Ngauamo down at wests. Along with a few new faces (some leaguies. Some foreigners) who were attracted to Elwee and his ability to develop club players into contracted players.

Hopefully more players buy into reserves grades at wests this year. Felt like there was a bit of a gap between premier grade results and reserve grade in 2022.

I hear Tony Cross (former premiership coach - 2006) is steering the ship for 2nd grade this year.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
I've heard Jono Kent is on his way to Brothers this season. Hoping for more opportunities after sitting in West's reserves for most of last year? Are any others leaving Wests?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I've heard Jono Kent is on his way to Brothers this season. Hoping for more opportunities after sitting in West's reserves for most of last year? Are any others leaving Wests?

Jono is handy, but the reality is he’s 29 now and has never cemented himself as a must pick 1st grade rugby player.

I don’t see him leapfrogging many people no matter what club he goes to.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Hopefully more players buy into reserves grades at wests this year. Felt like there was a bit of a gap between premier grade results and reserve grade in 2022.

I hear Tony Cross (former premiership coach - 2006) is steering the ship for 2nd grade this year.
Crossy will run a good show if he is involved.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Jono is handy, but the reality is he’s 29 now and has never cemented himself as a must pick 1st grade rugby player.

I don’t see him leapfrogging many people no matter what club he goes to.
I remember him playing his best footy on the wing for GPS back in 2019, where he got picked for QLD Country in the NRC. But he apparently left GPS to pursue an opportunity at 10, and I don't think that's his strongest position (by a significant margin).

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
GPS are upping the ante for the rest by taking a pre season 2 match tour to Fiji.

Yep, it's been on the cards for a couple of months now. They've used it as a bit of a carrot to pull a few more Fijian players to the club during the offseason as well.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
There is a Drua game v Crusaders on 11th March - 2 weeks before season kicks off. How good if they get to see that too.

Also, Bond Uni are doing trials on 11th March v Norths Teachers (ACT) and 18th v Shute Shield team, the Hunter Wildfires in Newcastle

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
If I remember him playing his best footy on the wing for GPS back in 2019, where he got picked for QLD Country in the NRC. But he apparently left GPS to pursue an opportunity at 10, and I don't think that's his strongest position (by a significant margin).
If he has gone to the filth to play 10 he is dreaming. They already have Paddy James, Taylor Adams, Jake Sargoo, Harry Grant, Chris Morgan who can all play 10/15, and when the reds finish they will have Lawson Creighton and possibly O’Connor. If he leapfrogs any of these I can imagine a few unhappy people at Crosby…

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Plenty of gossip about a dust up between experienced senior players at training this week.

Who has the real story?

• Wow
Reactions: Ras