• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Ras

Frank Nicholson (4)
Apparently the Filth are paying one player who is not signed to a Super Rugby Club $500 per game. They are also allegedly paying a first year colt $250 for every game he plays in Colts 1
They hardly have enough money to fix their fields, let alone pay players.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)

Belly

Frank Row (1)
For the record I have no issue with players being paid at any level and if they are being paid as suggested good for them - what I find hard to believe is how clubs can afford to pay that amount of money for an uncontracted player or even a contracted player for that matter in QPR....West only pay their Rebel players $400 per week hahaha.

Some of the higher level SS players are being paid 15k-20k in clubland so I do realized this happens for higher level players - its also not just money West gave Petaia a car for a season, guess it depends what they have up their sleeve (or sponsors) at the time.
Paying contracted players is actually not permitted under the RUPA/RA professional bargaining agreement. Yet across both Sydney and Brisbane clubs it's been happening. It includes anything from free rego, rental assistance, car provided to actual cash changing hands. I believe it is now incumbent on the professional player to declare what clubs are providing for them to cover off any potential breaches. Interesting.

Sydney clubs have been players for years. But it costs a minimum of $15 to get into a Shute Shield game. That is mandated in the Comp rules. I've been out of Sydney for a few years so it may have gone up. One thing is for sure. It won't have gone down. Those gate takings go straight into the bottom line of the clubs. Which in turn covers match fees.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
In my opinion to keep the best players or motivate players to stay in union you have to pay them.

2 years ago James Durheim played Colts 1 for easts and played in a couple of prem games as well. The following year he decided to play league for Ippy Jets (colts) instead of play prems. Says a lot about the attraction of rugby compared to league. Someone would rather play Colts league then play the highest level of club rugby.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brown paper bags existed long before we were born and will be here long after we have gone, maybe the regulations need updating - if Patrick Mahomes and Labron James can be paid 100s of millions of dollars to play sport, why cant old mate have his fees cover or receive a match fee. Rugby League CBA is far better than the RUPA set up hopefully Rugby can close the gap.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Paying players is unsustainable. Some clubs can do it but across the comp payment, I can’t see some of those battler clubs opening up the dusty cobweb chequebooks.

I think a 2nd super rugby team in qld or return of a NRC comp is the best way to keep players interested in QPR.

the best thing going for rugby over league is it’s a more enjoyable game to play with more opportunities abroad to turn it into a income… I bet 95% of the players playing QPR don’t even think twice about a match payment. They just enjoy being out there with their mates playing the game they love.

Ras

Frank Nicholson (4)
G'Day All,

hypothetically, if there were to be a 10th Premier club, who do you think it would be and why?
1678855133535.png

Fair to say the Brisbane metro is well covered with few junior clubs not represented. With Sunnybank and Bond further south, a case could be made for sunshine coast club.

Kitwalker

Bob McCowan (2)
They hardly have enough money to fix their fields, let alone pay players.
They have more money in the bank then they let on and have some very influential backers with very deep pockets.

Their fields are no good because they haven’t had a decent grounds keeper for a number of years and they are used 7 days a week.

Kitwalker

Bob McCowan (2)
@Kitwalker spill the beans man.

who are the players....i'll pay for your legal fees ;)
I won‘t name them however the Prem grade player has recently returned from another club. The colt is 1st year so very surprised by them paying him when they have the likes of Tim Ryan, Harry Grant who are second and third year respectively and don’t get paid….

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I won‘t name them however the Prem grade player has recently returned from another club. The colt is 1st year so very surprised by them paying him when they have the likes of Tim Ryan, Harry Grant who are second and third year respectively and don’t get paid….

Are you talking about Michael Bond?

I know he's back at the club this year and has a special arrangement, he's only playing a handful of games from what I understand and I believe there was some type of payment incentive as well. I don't think it's that big of a deal though, he's a 36 semi-retired player who's played at Brothers before.

Kitwalker

Bob McCowan (2)
Are you talking about Michael Bond?

I know he's back at the club this year and has a special arrangement, he's only playing a handful of games from what I understand and I believe there was some type of payment incentive as well. I don't think it's that big of a deal though, he's a 36 semi-retired player who's played at Brothers before.
No I’m not talking about Bondy

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I’m assuming the Colt is Dre Pakeho??