• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Another strong trials performance by Souths today against Sunnybank. 2nds 45-0 and 1sts 55-5.
The Premier Grade welcomed back some of their Reds, Rebels and Junior Wallaby reps as well as a couple of players returning from injury.
The heat was oppressive but they threw the ball around, scoring 9 tries and 5 conversions. Looking forward to the opening match of the season next week against Norths at Chipsy Wood Oval.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As soon as they get a development contract with the Reds it's all too hard to play for SC or GC. Just easier to be 10mins away from a prems team than drive 3hrs return for training.
I see what you’re saying, but currently Bond have more Reds players then many of the Brisbane clubs with Nongorr, Jeans, Blyth(x2), Blake & Upfield. Throw in junior wallabies like Usher and Loader also. Mafi played for Bond for years also.

For the Academy players it’s not as critical to move, once they’re a full time Reds player sure, their priority is the Reds and not Prems so move. But I’d argue it’s counter intuitive to expect an 18-19 year old academy player to move given they’re not been paid, or if they are it’s a only little and they’d be better off still living at home with a family support network.

Last edited:

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
In my opinion to keep the best players or motivate players to stay in union you have to pay them.

2 years ago James Durheim played Colts 1 for easts and played in a couple of prem games as well. The following year he decided to play league for Ippy Jets (colts) instead of play prems. Says a lot about the attraction of rugby compared to league. Someone would rather play Colts league then play the highest level of club rugby.
James Durkheim comes from a Lismore and was a league junior whose old man was also a league nrl player so he is a bad example.
I am more concerned about all the junior kids who come through the “pathways” and then give it all away once they have a qld u16 or u18 jersey

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Going to be a long season for the Bank based on trials. Off season start was positive but has just not delivered.

Souths under 2023 coaching team looked impressive.
I wouldn’t write them off. Their new recruit 10/12 didn’t play and they make a massive difference

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Going to be a long season for the Bank based on trials. Off season start was positive but has just not delivered.

Souths under 2023 coaching team looked impressive.
Didnt they lose to Norths already? Norths seems to be their Achillies heal; time will tell.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any other trial reports?

Bro 55 - UQ 5

Elton will need more than a rabbit to pull out his hat this season - I do not think the Big OX is the right fit as their forward's coach.

Christian scored in the first few minutes, Lawson was a welcome addition with Adams to return 2nd/3rd RD - Bro Reggies won comfortably as well.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Unless Lynagh and JOC (James O'Connor) go down injured, I think Brothers will have Lawson’s services for most of the season. He’s a very handy club player but definitely a step down in Super Rugby.

UQ will be buoyed by someone like Vest coming back for most of the season, similar to Lawson, I don’t see him cementing a Super Rugby spot and will probably drift back to clubland once Blythe/Jones return.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The Red's have a tendency to cotton wool the guy's thought, but hopefully you're right.

Generally I agree but I feel the one plus about a coach like Brad Thorn is he’s been very supportive of having reds return to clubland.

I’m actually worried about any new incoming coach might not have this same philosophy… least the main candidate other then Thorn (Heeno) knows where his roots are and I suspect he will be same champion of reds back to club rugby.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Generally I agree but I feel the one plus about a coach like Brad Thorn is he’s been very supportive of having reds return to clubland.

I’m actually worried about any new incoming coach might not have this same philosophy… least the main candidate other then Thorn (Heeno) knows where his roots are and I suspect he will be same champion of reds back to club rugby.

Based on some of the other franchises coaching this season, I think the Reds need to be careful what they wish for regarding booting Thorn. But that's a convo for another thread.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)
I can see an argument for Redlands being a possibility for a new Premier Club. They already have great fields, a supporter base and there are quite a few Redlands juniors running around QPR at the moment. I think with some assistance, they could be a great addition.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I can see an argument for Redlands being a possibility for a new Premier Club. They already have great fields, a supporter base and there are quite a few Redlands juniors running around QPR at the moment. I think with some assistance, they could be a great addition.

They barely have 1 senior team and no colts.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
They barely have 1 senior team and no colts.

he did mention “with some assistance”

there was a pathway for the Saints once upon a time but there was many critics in the local rugby community that the QRU didn’t do enough to support their expansion road map.

If qld premier rugby is to take on a 10th side I think we will see some growing pains etc until they fully operational (it took Bond something like 20 years until they started running out a 3rd grade)

Dansgravy

Frank Row (1)
There is an argument for Caboolture as not too far out of Brisbane and by the sounds of it has decent financial backing. In addition, probably would get the talent from the sunshine coast come down.

I'd like to see the Bayside area be represented eventually. This would include Wynnum, Redlands and Redland Bay regions.
Great catchment for schools and growth.

Wynnum has 2 senior teams, colts and junior colts and the women's team slowly building.
Redlands have an excellent women's program and are a big junior club.

I do agree there would be some growing pains though with any new club so a pathway would be great to see the QRU get behind.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
There is an argument for Caboolture as not too far out of Brisbane and by the sounds of it has decent financial backing. In addition, probably would get the talent from the sunshine coast come down.

I'd like to see the Bayside area be represented eventually. This would include Wynnum, Redlands and Redland Bay regions.
Great catchment for schools and growth.

Wynnum has 2 senior teams, colts and junior colts and the women's team slowly building.
Redlands have an excellent women's program and are a big junior club.

I do agree there would be some growing pains though with any new club so a pathway would be great to see the QRU get behind.
Caboolture are about to complete a clubhouse redevelopment, have 3 fields and a large catchment/ junior base. It probably has one of the better chances of success out of the SCRU senior clubs.

However, a challenge they would openly admit to would be the competition from Rugby League in and around the area.