• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The UQ v GPS games this weekend have been listed as being played The Lakes College - which I understand is in North Lakes.

Is that correct? How many games are UQ playing there?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The UQ v GPS games this weekend have been listed as being played The Lakes College - which I understand is in North Lakes.

Is that correct? How many games are UQ playing there?

looks like UQ first match at “their spiritual home” of Stadia De Heavy is round 7.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wow Round 2 of competition - UQ look to have 6 or 7 home games with only 2 trips to other grounds…

Would be interesting to know why the schedule was done with so much accomodation to UQ to have them on the road round 1 and home for round 2… I assume they are still training at their grounds at st Lucia?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Wow Round 2 of competition - UQ look to have 6 or 7 home games with only 2 trips to other grounds…

Would be interesting to know why the schedule was done with so much accomodation to UQ to have them on the road round 1 and home for round 2… I assume they are still training at their grounds at st Lucia?

I think there is precedent for this stuff happening with other clubs.

I recall during the '08 or '09 seasons down at GPS there was massive ground redevelopment happening and we played the entire 1st round away. Obviously provides a pretty distinct advantage at the back end of the year if you're good enough to be in the finals hunt.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah whats the alternative, force UQ to take home games to other ground where the facilities are inferior. That impacts both teams players and fans, not just UQs.

Correct, and in the Rnd 1 case, GPS grounds aren't usually available this early in the season with Valley's cricket still wrapping up. Or maybe they simply agreed to take the game to North Lakes for something different.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)
They barely have 1 senior team and no colts.
As I said, there would need to be some assistance. There are a lot of Redlands juniors that go and play for the QPR clubs around Brisbane that would quite possibly stay with the Redlands Club. They have in excess of 500 junior players which would rival some of the QPR clubs. Bayside is a huge catchment with a number of schools playing rugby in the area that the club could form a great connection with. Much more so than Caboolture.

Imagine if those juniors made a connection with the premier grade over time? I think if another QPR team is chosen, time and assistance will need to be given to become a success.

Their current status is a moot point as players will leave to club they can see opportunities.

Ras

Frank Nicholson (4)
UQ got a hiding from Brothers. Are they going to struggle or was it their B side?
Don't seem to have the typical armada of contracted players to come back into the fold this year either with Jock and Tate likely wallabies bound. Life beyond Heenan might be harder then expected.

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Considering bulldog said “overlooked” in original plans and Adam stated change rooms size were increased they both can be right.

how long has “the original ballymore development” saga been going for? I remember Johnny Howard announced funding for it & qld very own Kevin Rudd said it was a waste of money … all the way back in 2007.

tell me again how much interest there was in woman’s sport back in 07? Next to nothing… supporting our woman in sports has only been a recent phenomenon and there’s still a lot more work to be done… but it’s a start which is the main thing.
Howard promised John O'Neill and the ARU funding for an academy at Ballymore. The catch was that the ARU would have taken over Ballymore in a joint venture with QRU (wouldn't that have worked out well...).
The QRU chairman at the time hated Labor and refused to ask Rudd to match it - remember this was only a few months before the election and the Kevin 07 shirts were already flying off the shelves. Same chairman who was in charge when the QRU lost $13m under his leadership.... Rudd won the election, so he had his own promises to pay for. Pure incompetence from the QRU chair. Rudd has since told people that a simple phone call before the election would have got the money. (But then RA would own Ballymore,...)
Also think you'll find there were always women's change rooms (national HQ for women's XVs and all that) but they got expanded due to the Government insisting that the toilets got moved following the floods - which created a bit of extra room to expand the change rooms.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don’t know who wasn’t available but on paper it was 4 or 5 regular starters in the XV
Lots of regulars rested, a few lower graders given an opportunity to step up, a few injured and needed a break before first round vs GPS, Elton and Ox are smart operators as everyone knows. Don't read anything into that result.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lots of regulars rested, a few lower graders given an opportunity to step up, a few injured and needed a break before first round vs GPS, Elton and Ox are smart operators as everyone knows. Don't read anything into that result.

Which regulars are you talking about?

I get no Morrey or Twidale but what does the team actually look like Pre-Super Players as it doesnt look like it will improve that much until the big dogs arrive - also be good to know who the regulars are that you speak of?

1-Davies
2-Tierney/Flavell?
3 - ?
4-?
5-?
6-Mitchell
7-Faulalo
8-Morrey
9-Rous
10-Twidale
11-?
12-?
13-?
14-?
15-Grealy

Post Super Rugby doesn't look too bad - if they are in the Top4 at the business end of the season they will come home with a wet sail as they normally do:

1-Davies
2-Nasser
3-Zander
4-Kailea
5-Vest
6-Mitchell
7-Faulalo
8-Morrey
9-Thomas
10-Lynah
11-Pincus
12-Twidale
13-Jooste
14-Ripley
15-Grealy

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I swear I saw Nick Chapman playing with UQ 7s out at Dalby/Narrabri at a rugby festival - I know 7s players can simply just be looking for a run… but that’s a huge key addition if Uq picked him up from norths

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I heard GPS got done by Easts on the weekend. Anyone at the game can confirm?

I get its a trial but pretty interesting considering GPS I thought would be right up there this year and Easts battling for 4th

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Which regulars are you talking about?

I get no Morrey or Twidale but what does the team actually look like Pre-Super Players as it doesnt look like it will improve that much until the big dogs arrive - also be good to know who the regulars are that you speak of?

1-Davies
2-Tierney/Flavell?
3 - ?
4-?
5-?
6-Mitchell
7-Faulalo
8-Morrey
9-Rous
10-Twidale
11-?
12-?
13-?
14-?
15-Grealy

Post Super Rugby doesn't look too bad - if they are in the Top4 at the business end of the season they will come home with a wet sail as they normally do:

1-Davies
2-Nasser
3-Zander
4-Kailea
5-Vest
6-Mitchell
7-Faulalo
8-Morrey
9-Thomas
10-Lynah
11-Pincus
12-Twidale
13-Jooste
14-Ripley
15-Grealy
Is Siakisini going around again? He was huge for UQ last year when available.