• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
you think the inclusion of Connor Anderson, Ben Navosailagi, Ilikena Vudogo, Lopeti Faifu weakens them?
just a question...where do all these players come from if they aren't in the super rugby teams week in week out? like Navosailagi, Vudogo hasn't been playing super rugby or club rugby for weeks. Do they just train like the practice squads in the nfl or are they injured.

how does is work? or do super rugby teams not release these players

Reactions: Ras

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
just a question...where do all these players come from if they aren't in the super rugby teams week in week out? like Navosailagi, Vudogo hasn't been playing super rugby or club rugby for weeks. Do they just train like the practice squads in the nfl or are they injured.

It would work on a case by case basis, week by week basis.

Some players would definitely just be training with the Super Rugby team and then may not play, particularly if they're in the squad covering for a player whos just returning from injury or potentially about to be ruled out.

Also depends on if teams are playing at home or away, what day of the week the game is etc. When teams travel they will usually take a much bigger squad to cover for injuries on game day.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Navo I believe is training with the Aussie 7s team a bit.

Vudogo was with the Rebels but I believe is on the injury comeback trail

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
you think the inclusion of Connor Anderson, Ben Navosailagi, Ilikena Vudogo, Lopeti Faifu weakens them?
West 5 to 15 are all contracted players - has to be the strongest team they have named this year by far, still hope they lose haha

Must win games for both Uni and West

Last edited:

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
9 has to be the strongest position in the comp doesn't it? Hudson Meyer for GPS as an example in 2nd grade tomorrow I wouldn't have qualms about playing off the bench for the Reds

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is there a reason Brothers didn’t get any Reds to play this week?
Most of their Reds are frontline players with big minutes this year - I can't see any of Faessler, Smith, McReight, Wilson, O'Connor or Flook being released, particularly with all but O'Connor having gone to the wallabies camp.

Creighton is the only one I could see who might have been released, but if they plan on running him at 10 again next week I can see why he'd be held back.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Brothers is the best represented team in the REDS match day 23. Constantly with 5 or 6 players + in some instance.

let them enjoy the bye week - they’ll be a well stacked squad come finals time with probably only McReight the certainty going to France (at this stage)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geez someone with brains should have flagged for GPS to wear their pink or white kit today against wests.

Terrible viewing both teams in green.

Wests just too good, GPS looked like they might come back with a wet sail in the last 10 but Wests good enough to hold back some strong attack.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Geez someone with brains should have flagged for GPS to wear their pink or white kit today against wests.

I agree - teams really need to have an alternate kit. Home and away stripes…. GPS ran out last year that awful Canberra raiders all white with green and blue trimming against wests.

I wonder if there is a rule about which team has priority on uniform colour? Clearly not in the QPR rule book I remember one year wests vs Sunnybank and the dragons running out with a different jersey in second half

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree - teams really need to have an alternate kit. Home and away stripes…. GPS ran out last year that awful Canberra raiders all white with green and blue trimming against wests.

I wonder if there is a rule about which team has priority on uniform colour? Clearly not in the QPR rule book I remember one year wests vs Sunnybank and the dragons running out with a different jersey in second half

Common sense says the home team should wear their standard kit and away teams need to pack an alternative.

I imagine similar clashes would happen with GPS/Wests/Sunnybank and Norths/Bond maybe.

I’d love to know why GPS didn’t wear an alternate kit, I’m guessing it might be to do with the jersey sponsors, if they’ve changed since the last season and the alternative kit wasn’t ready, I guess they felt the need to wear current jerseys.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Huge win. Not sure if Uni changes in second half did them any favours. They didn’t look like scoring as Easts controlled territory.

But how many rugby matches do you see 52 points in first half and 10 in the second?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Bond v Sunnybank