• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Huge win. Not sure if Uni changes in second half did them any favours. They didn’t look like scoring as Easts controlled territory.

But how many rugby matches do you see 52 points in first half and 10 in the second?
How Mac Grealy doesn't get more game time then 5 mins off the bench each week on the wing for the reds is beyond me.

Whenever he plays for UQ he absolutely rips up and always stands out.

Maybe the departure of Thorne will finally give this guy a real go.

Fantastic game though down at Tigerland. Some great tries from both teams. Thought both Pilz and Pappin both outplayed their reds counterparts in Thomas and Lynagh.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How Mac Grealy doesn't get more game time then 5 mins off the bench each week on the wing for the reds is beyond me.

Fantastic game though down at Tigerland. Some great tries from both teams. Thought both Pilz and Pappin both outplayed their reds counterparts in Thomas and Lynagh.

the reds have an abundant of outside backs with most of them having a wallaby cap (Vunivalu, Daugunu, Petaia, Campbell)

it’s not hard to see why he (& Aubrey) aren’t getting much game time.

Daugunu remains unsigned - he’s probably gone in 2024. There will be a vacated outside back spot up for grabs - it’s up to Grealy and Aubrey to stop the younger hungry outside backs emerging coming for that spare spot.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Maybe it's because one is an amateur club comp and the other is playing against professionals.

Not exactly comparing apples to apples in this situation.

The Reds have been average lately, but not bad enough to warrant a full cleanout of their talent.

SX makes a good point that they've actually got some decent Wallaby depth in the backs - guys like Petaia, Campbell, Daugunu have actually been playing quite well for the Reds.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thats my point. he's a standout at club level and so is ready to test himself on the next level.

Standing out at club level is one piece of the puzzle though. Are you expecting him to start for the Reds at fullback over Petaia, a proven Wallaby and someone who's actually playing well for example because Grealy beat 5 defenders from Easts on the weekend?

He's only 21, there is no rush to get him playing professionally.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Standing out at club level is one piece of the puzzle though. Are you expecting him to start for the Reds at fullback over Petaia, a proven Wallaby and someone who's actually playing well for example because Grealy beat 5 defenders from Easts on the weekend?

No not expecting him to start at all. I expect him to get more of a go then the few mins he gets each game for the last two years.

You make it out as if I was demanding him to start ahead of wallabies and captain the team. I would of thought that the young guy has earnt a few more minutes in the second half after consistently playing well in clubland....Similar to what Kalani Thomas has gotten.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
No not expecting him to start at all. I expect him to get more of a go then the few mins he gets each game for the last two years.

You make it out as if I was demanding him to start ahead of wallabies and captain the team. I would of thought that the young guy has earnt a few more minutes in the second half after consistently playing well in clubland....Similar to what Kalani Thomas has gotten.
Grealy's first two appearances for the Reds were a full 80mins in 2021 - if that's not getting an opportunity then I'm not sure what is...

Since then, he's had two appearances of 18 and 23min, and 6 appearances of 10min or less.

As others have said, it's stiff competition amongst outside backs at the Reds, and he's only 21. He'll continue to get his chances.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I would of thought that the young guy has earnt a few more minutes in the second half after consistently playing well in clubland....Similar to what Kalani Thomas has gotten.

Kalani is the backup half back.
Grealy is 5th option outside back. With 4 wallabies ahead of him.

I didn’t even mention Joshua Flook earlier who’s spent some time on the wing this season… I think when Pasami and Henry are healthy and back in that match day 23 it pushes Grealy further out of the equation.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just thumbing through the points tables after 4 rounds and noticed that Easts are top of table in 1st-4th grade and Colts 1&2 - despite the fact that they haven’t had a bye this is a good effort, but premierships aren’t won in April.

Doubting Thomas

Stan Wickham (3)
The Reds' Wallabies aren't delivering. Too busy worrying about whether Eddie wants them or not. Playing for the highlights reels, not for the team.

Grealy is behind so many Wallabies... Reds staff don't use their bench as finishers, merely injury cover - (excluding front row). Same Reds' Wallabies getting 80 mins week after week - and it's not working out! NZ teams on the other hand use their bench as part of their game strategy and in turn, increase their depth.

That's (one reason) why we lose so much talent to other states/countries. We have players sitting on the bench for the Reds and getting limited game time at any level. When Grealy pops up somewhere else and gets the opportunity to showcase his ability, fans will ask why the Reds let another good one get away?

JamesHorwill11

Frank Row (1)

If you read what MoneyBill said then you would of noticed he didn't say that he expected him to start over Petaia, merely to get more then 5minutes off the bench. Not sure how you would expect players to prove their worth without an opportunity. What's thought process behind not rushing him to be playing professionally? Would be ideal to have him playing Super Rugby minutes which he looks more then capable to do during his prime developmental years, instead of watching him be a class above as he has for 3 years now at UQ.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If you read what MoneyBill said then you would of noticed he didn't say that he expected him to start over Petaia, merely to get more then 5minutes off the bench. Not sure how you would expect players to prove their worth without an opportunity. What's thought process behind not rushing him to be playing professionally? Would be ideal to have him playing Super Rugby minutes which he looks more then capable to do during his prime developmental years, instead of watching him be a class above as he has for 3 years now at UQ.

Good morning Mac’s dad,

If Mac is so desperate to play Super Rugby maybe he should head to another club who need quality outside backs.

The reality is he’s at a club with a lot of back three depth, as another poster mentioned, guys like Flook can also play wing and would be ahead of him.

Frankly the Mac Grealy fanboy club make him sound like he’s whinging big time behind the scenes, it’s a privileged attitude to expect a player should be given more of a chance because he’s given 3 years service to UQ rugby.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
A huge rivalry this weekend brothers vs UQ.

can the students bounce back and get their season on track against a team they usually play quite well against at Crosby road

Or does the filth continue it’s barnstorming start to their undefeated season.

im looking forward to finally seeing this Garrick Morgan coached south’s team and how they perform against my bulldogs

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Frankly the Mac Grealy fanboy club make him sound like he’s whinging big time behind the scenes, it’s a privileged attitude to expect a player should be given more of a chance because he’s given 3 years service to UQ rugby.
Good morning Negative Nelly.

I don't think my opinion on a youngster getting more of an opportunity posted in a rugby forum translates into the poor guy actually whinging.

Your comments on a young guy getting a crack makes is sound like you're the head of the Mac Grealy Nonfan Club.
sheesh mate. its just an opinion on a talented youngster getting a good crack. I get all the talent at the reds.... My post was merely pointing at the fact he should get more minutes. There's not that much into it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good morning Negative Nelly.

I don't think my opinion on a youngster getting more of an opportunity posted in a rugby forum translates into the poor guy actually whinging.

Your comments on a young guy getting a crack makes is sound like you're the head of the Mac Grealy Nonfan Club.
sheesh mate. its just an opinion on a talented youngster getting a good crack. I get all the talent at the reds.... My post was merely pointing at the fact he should get more minutes. There's not that much into it.

That wasn't even in response to you mate.

Someone felt the need to create an account on this forum to white knight Mac Grealy. They've made 1 post and it's a direct love story to why Mac needs to be playing professionally footy. I don't think my response was out line.

Settle down. Enough air spent on this kid.

Putmeoncoach

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Reds must have had high hopes for Grealy early on. In 2019 I was involved with the Reds Youth 7s program. Grealy was allowed to participate in the first training session and carved up. After that he wasn’t allowed to train for the remainder 5 week training block but could play in the tournament.

Suddenly a week out from the Nation Youth 7s championships the Reds said he’s unavailable for selection. They didn’t want him to risk getting injured and to focus on academy/the preseason a head.

Fringe Super Rugby players Aubrey, Werchon, Vaihu & Tauakipulu we’re all involved in that U17s Reds 7s team.