• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
The Reds must have had high hopes for Grealy early on. In 2019 I was involved with the Reds Youth 7s program. Grealy was allowed to participate in the first training session and carved up. After that he wasn’t allowed to train for the remainder 5 week training block but could play in the tournament.

Suddenly a week out from the Nation Youth 7s championships the Reds said he’s unavailable for selection. They didn’t want him to risk getting injured and to focus on academy/the preseason a head.

Fringe Super Rugby players Aubrey, Werchon, Vaihu & Tauakipulu we’re all involved in that U17s Reds 7s team.
Not to sound rude and a n actual genuine question....but what's your point?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Two great examples in my opinion of the pros and cons of getting players into professional setups early.

1. Jordan Petaia - I would have loved to see him get the Grealy treatment and put a couple of consistent club years under his belt, have a couple of games where he gets bashed a bit by adults but is still good enough to standout. He has clearly needed time to grow into his body and evolve from the schoolboy player who could score at will, to someone who actually needs to develop a skillset and think about his game. I think Petaia is playing the best footy of his career right now, but it's taken him 5 years of playing professionally and many injuries to get to this point.

2. Samu Kerevi - I watched Kerevi come through the QPR Colts system and 1st Grade at GPS. He played Premier Colts and then GPS 1st grade from 2012 -2014. He also had the benefit of a couple of NRC seasons to hone his skills in a semi-professional environment. One thing you'll notice about Kerevi is he's been able to be the best player on the field at each level he's gone to, from the moment the Reds said 'okay let this bloke play' he was able to get over the gain line and dominate. Now he's probably the only Wallaby who's truly a 'world class player'.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Two great examples in my opinion of the pros and cons of getting players into professional setups early.

1. Jordan Petaia - I would have loved to see him get the Grealy treatment and put a couple of consistent club years under his belt, have a couple of games where he gets bashed a bit by adults but is still good enough to standout. He has clearly needed time to grow into his body and evolve from the schoolboy player who could score at will, to someone who actually needs to develop a skillset and think about his game. I think Petaia is playing the best footy of his career right now, but it's taken him 5 years of playing professionally and many injuries to get to this point.

2. Samu Kerevi - I watched Kerevi come through the QPR Colts system and 1st Grade at GPS. He played Premier Colts and then GPS 1st grade from 2012 -2014. He also had the benefit of a couple of NRC seasons to hone his skills in a semi-professional environment. One thing you'll notice about Kerevi is he's been able to be the best player on the field at each level he's gone to, from the moment the Reds said 'okay let this bloke play' he was able to get over the gain line and dominate. Now he's probably the only Wallaby who's truly a 'world class player'.
Comparisons to another Uni player of 10 years back - JJ Tualungi(spelling is bad)

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)

This is the Australian way of selection and it starts very early:

1st XV Level - handful of younger superstars selected over the older equivalent to help grow depth for the following years the bench players are generally younger players as well.

QLD School Boys, Red U18, AUS School Boys, AUS 20s, Super Rugby, International Level - handful of younger superstars selected the older player equivalent would miss out on selection.

QPR do the same - you see a lot of up-and-coming Colts start over 2nd Grade players, generally speaking Premier Colts would be more widely used oppose to a 2nd Grade player. Not always but more often than not.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
They should just award the Hospital Cup to Brothers now!!

There is plenty of footy to be played in 2023 - anything can happen in a Hospital Cup season and usually does.
you're right. with the additions of super rugby players coming back towards the end of the season, teams that played in first half of the season is not the team you see at the end.

Which is kinda sad for the clubs that do well in the first half of the year and then 2nd half fall away cos other teams have a lot more super rugby players then they do.

Is it fair?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
you're right. with the additions of super rugby players coming back towards the end of the season, teams that played in first half of the season is not the team you see at the end.

Which is kinda sad for the clubs that do well in the first half of the year and then 2nd half fall away cos other teams have a lot more super rugby players then they do.

Is it fair?

This is where the points system they are looking to introduce will come into play if adopted.

It's worked for the Shute Shield.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Will this point system work to effect the distribution of players? Or serve to amend the table point system to reflect the number of Super Rugby players?

What will be interesting to see how the potential amendment to the world calendar will impact club rugby. If the TRC international window shifts to Feb-Apr and Super Rugby shifts the starting date back a few months, this could kill off the practice of players returning to club rugby at the tail end of the season.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Brothers players in the Reds are used to losing so coming back to clubland won’t guarantee they win. Losing is a habit and the habits are being learned in the Reds!

Do not discount Bond, Easts and even Uni.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Taylor Adams starting at fullback for Brothers 2nd grade this weekend, coming back from injury.

Brothers obviously have some depth this year/really liking what they get from Jono Kent. Adams was a Reds trialist in the off-season.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Going by my record YTD, 2 of these tipped teams will win and 2 will lose. I’m least confident with the Bankers and the Magpies. But all open games.