• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeh he went on a Tahs train and trial a couple of years ago and from all reports actually came back from the time away in a worse condition, which might be reason he's not on more professional club radars.

I'm guessing he's still playing QPR because he's aiming to crack a Super Rugby team. Considering his age and ability, I've seen less capable players head overseas by now and have long careers, particularly front rowers.
I'd like to see him brought in for a full pre-season at the Reds to see if he can get fit enough to push for a place. It'd probably need a minumum contract to really set him up for the best chance of success though. Still, he has so much potential so it feels like a worthwhile gamble. He's probably been one of the big loser's in the loss of the NRC on the player side - having that couple of months semi-pro at a higher level of competition is exactly what he could use to press his case and get him ready to make the most of a professional pre-season right now.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Definitely the lack of an NRC is hindering the development and exposure of the fringe player. I just hope some of this supposed river of gold that is coming will be pumped into making the club comps semi professional or dare a I say it, version 17 of a National Rugby Comp.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Definitely the lack of an NRC is hindering the development and exposure of the fringe player. I just hope some of this supposed river of gold that is coming will be pumped into making the club comps semi professional or dare a I say it, version 17 of a National Rugby Comp.
I think the Lack of NRC has seen development and training contracts all heading to school leavers and 'younger' prospects over the form rugby players in the QPR who haven't had the opportunity to showcase their potential on a higher level.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
This is where the decision making of the RA Board is without peer.

$5m on one 19 year old man - Joseph Sua'ali'i or an NRC to identify the next tier of professional talent. The kiwis must just piss themselves at us.

The fact that the old codger in the 7 jumper for the Tahs has been getting $1m+ a year for his leadership is beyond discussion.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is where the decision making of the Rugby Australia Board is without peer.

$5m on one 19 year old man - Joseph Sua'ali'i or an NRC to identify the next tier of professional talent. The kiwis must just piss themselves at us.

The fact that the old codger in the 7 jumper for the Tahs has been getting $1m+ a year for his leadership is beyond discussion.

dollars not coming from the same pot. Large chunk of Joseph's pay is coming from donors who want to spend it that way.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
dollars not coming from the same pot. Large chunk of Joseph's pay is coming from donors who want to spend it that way.

Whilst I know that is the case, if there are donors who are willing to spend big cash on a single player, surely there are donors who want to contribute money in other ways?

How are these opportunities presented to those parties?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Whilst I know that is the case, if there are donors who are willing to spend big cash on a single player, surely there are donors who want to contribute money in other ways?

How are these opportunities presented to those parties?

who’s the face of Aus rugby? Can’t say they have one at the moment. Hooper is squinty eyebrow surfer boy but any city other then Sydney he could walk down the street unnoticed.

All our best players are overseas, I’d say the other face would be Taneila, but his not exactly eye candy to bring in the casual ladies.

I think signing Joseph was about getting a face for the lions / World Cup posters.

Hugh Jardon

Bob McCowan (2)
George Francis is a weapon and deserves a crack. Feao Fotuaika wasnt exactly the fittest prop getting around and after one pre season at the reds was in the best condition of his life and turned into a world class prop. same could be said about Richie Asiata. one pres season and he looked and played amazing

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Anyone know if the under 20's boys are back this week?

If so that Easts vs Souths game will be a cracker. Souths just dont look the same attacking danger without HMP.

Killed my multi last week :(

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Be interesting to see what other players pay expectations will be i.e Jordan Petaia once its time for contract renewal - if Joe is worth 1.6m then Jordan Petaia is worth 2m at least. I know some of the NRL teams are happy to pay him a decent amount more than what hes on.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Be interesting to see what other players pay expectations will be i.e Jordan Petaia once its time for contract renewal - if Joe is worth 1.6m then Jordan Petaia is worth 2m at least. I know some of the NRL teams are happy to pay him a decent amount more than what hes on.

I think another million dollar player is going to be Carter Gordon.

His contract is up next year. I suspect his going to kill it in the TRC and World Cup and every cashed up billionaire who owns a rugby club in France will be chasing his services.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
UQ could have used one of their former 9s on the weekend - all 4 of them played well for their respective teams, Sorovi has to be one of the most underrated Super 9s. at least the Reds played him on heritage week lol.

- Sorovi (West)
- Christian (Brothers)
- Morrisson (GPS)
- Hearn (Souths)

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
who’s the face of Aus rugby? Can’t say they have one at the moment. Hooper is squinty eyebrow surfer boy but any city other then Sydney he could walk down the street unnoticed.

All our best players are overseas, I’d say the other face would be Taneila, but his not exactly eye candy to bring in the casual ladies.

I think signing Joseph was about getting a face for the lions / World Cup posters.

Yep I'm not disputing any of that - I'm firmly in the camp that the signing will be good for us.

But every time his money is mentioned someone inadvertently chirps up and says 'that's a lot of money - why not use for grassroots?' and the answer is always 'because the donors didn't want to do that'.

I just find it hard to believe that no donors would take an alternative view on how to spend their money and wondered if there was a formal tender process where RA put forward different plans to donors in order to get things off the ground. Or is it just known in the rugby world that donors just want to pay for players?

For example, and I'm going down a deep rabbit hole now, but is there not a group of likeminded Brisbane based rugby donors who could look at funding the QPR comp say $1M a season for the next 5 years in order to provide match payments to all 1st grade players and try create a more professional product?

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QLD Rugby have an active foundation program. And some very much goes to grassroots - refer to the Wilson family's donation which has got DOs into the Moreton Bay region.

There is on facilities (Ballymore upgrade), grassroots pathways (women and indigenous) and I think player development ? (Academy structure).

Not sure how many people who would want to donate for the intention of paying club players?? But perhaps there are some out there.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
QLD Rugby have an active foundation program. And some very much goes to grassroots - refer to the Wilson family's donation which has got DOs into the Moreton Bay region.

There is on facilities (Ballymore upgrade), grassroots pathways (women and indigenous) and I think player development ? (Academy structure).

Not sure how many people who would want to donate for the intention of paying club players?? But perhaps there are some out there.

Agree - was more putting forward an alternative to what could become a step towards closing the gap between our professional teams and the level below, as one of the main issue people have about RA's spending is they scrapped the NRC comp. I would think some donors would be interested in creating a better development pathway for players in clubland.

I understand it's not black and white, but I felt the need to explore the topic a bit as you would no doubt agree every time a player getting paid $1M+ is raised on these forums there are riots about spending elsewhere and why it doesn't happen.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think any donor is going to have some ulterior motive behind it… like Sunnybank RSL back in the day supposedly/allegedly put 50k towards Digby Ioane reds contract.

I dont recall seeing any Sunnybank RSL sponsorship with the reds but I’m sure Digby would of turned up on a couple of community days etc.

something similar will happen with Joseph, unsure about the donors or their intentions so can’t really pinpoint what it will be. Probably pimp a few cars and post some stuff to his social media about how great (Car A) drives and his never had a smoother experience

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone know if the under 20's boys are back this week?

If so that Easts vs Souths game will be a cracker. Souths just dont look the same attacking danger without HMP.

Killed my multi last week :(

Floyd Aubrey named at 15 for the gallopers

Considering it was a 1 point game, you are very brave betting souths for the outright win against Wests.
Souths were very pesky for wests on weekend but I never thought theyd come away with the win. I do look forward to round 2 and seeing the HMP with my own eyes!

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Floyd Aubrey named at 15 for the gallopers

Considering it was a 1 point game, you are very brave betting souths for the outright win against Wests.
Souths were very pesky for wests on weekend but I never thought theyd come away with the win. I do look forward to round 2 and seeing the HMP with my own eyes!
ahh ok thanks they must be back this week then.

yeah tbh i thought without HMP and Bryant they couldnt win but was just hoping the momentum they built so far this season and home ground advantage could boost them a win.

Also it made the odds a lot larger then betting on wests :p

Watching the game live they could have definitely won. They had a line out on fulltime around about halfway but botched it and it was game over.

Also, im surprised theres been no mention about Norths and their Victory. I know majority of members on here are Brothers/Wests supporters but thats a great thing for that club who struggle every year. Not so good for Sunnybank who seem like a shadow of the once powerhouse club.