• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's been a long time since I've been down, particularly for a club game but heading down for NRC games I always found bond's fields and setup pretty pristine.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
For overall i like Easts. Atmosphere is great at Easts. Spectators are right in your face and whenever away team has a lineout right infront of the grades they always give it to them. Pretty good watching too if you're in the higher seats.

Turf wise i'd say UQ but like someone said its maintained fulltime. Bit far back from the action.

GPS second. Very fast track shame it faces the sun and the seating is a bit far back and not on great enough slant to provide good watching.

And on the other scale i'd rate souths as the most unfriendly ground to watch rugby.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
The side of the field nearest the clubhouse spends a lot of time in the shade over winter and the foundations of the clubhouse are also close to the sideline preventing natural drainage that way, so it’s all on what’s under the turf to let excess water disappear.

The north eastern end of the field is cut out of a hill with a substantial retaining not far from the dead ball line. This end always seems damp, most likely from moisture further up the hill.

I’m no expert, but seems like the turf was always going to struggle.
Begs the question, who did the design layout and consulting? Built by the big gun builder in town. You'd expect a much better outcome.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
They are restricted by the trees onsite which are heritage listed.
Fair enough. But maybe a little less clubhouse might have been more prudent? Just casting my mind back through hazy memory, but there used to be 2 fields there I think. The new field was re-orientated, I'm surprised they couldn't still find enough room for a decent sized and equally impressive club house and a better outcome for the field.
In any case I guess they just have to find the best solution for what they have now.
It's a better predicament to be in than Souths who have no recourse to change anything.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, only ever one field up the top. Field had a different orientation and the clubhouse was in a different position.

One of the other issues they had getting the development through was car parking. Extra car parks go hand in hand with development approvals and the main reason why the clubhouse is so tight with the field. The old clubhouse was at the far end of what now is a car park.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
On the topic of grounds, How's Ballymore looking? I might be mistaken but I was under the impression the finals series would be held there again this year and haven't heard boo about it being completed yet.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah, only ever one field up the top. Field had a different orientation and the clubhouse was in a different position.

One of the other issues they had getting the development through was car parking. Extra car parks go hand in hand with development approvals and the main reason why the clubhouse is so tight with the field. The old clubhouse was at the far end of what now is a car park.
Bang on - just the one always restricted by southern fig trees. They’ve done a cracking job just the grass - suns suffice groundsman in question

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bond at home to shade Brothers and keep them out of the 4. I hope!

UQ’s last dance v Wests - how strong is that Bulldogs team? Wests by 9+

Souths should look after GPS but both teams missing key players. GPS by 3

Easts will dust Norths but in second gear

LIKEATIGER

Stan Wickham (3)
Very keen to hear frank and honest ratings of hamburgers around the various grounds. Sorry Wests definitely the worst ( expensive & minimal) Souths or GPS probably the best ?