• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
So no club rugby this weekend… mandated bye week and nothing in super rugby spectrum…

Will be cheering on all the qpr talent over in South Africa representing aus u20.
whats up with this random comp bye? They never used to have it did they? Is there a reason for it?

If anything you'd think they would have it after the completion of the first round.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
whats up with this random comp bye? They never used to have it did they? Is there a reason for it?

If anything you'd think they would have it after the completion of the first round.

It use to align with a test rugby match in Brisbane I thought…. But looks like we got shafted on hosting our wallabies..

Oh well I’m saying it’s the bye week qpr must have… so we can get out to Redcliffe and support the girls (Thursday night)

qpr_analyst

Frank Row (1)
It's been in place for ages, got used the last few years as early rounds were covid'd/washed out, just this year everything has gone well so far!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I think it’s well timed - don’t forget these guys are all amateurs.

This BYE falls in the middle of QLD school holidays so families get a chance to go away and not have the worry of letting their team down or losing their place in the team. I’m sure most teams will do a Saturday activity/light training run though for anyone who’s around.

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
All class from Tyler Campbell to close out the game for bond - kicks a 50/22 and then crashes over for a try off the lineout. He's had some bad luck with injuries in the past but if he can stay fit for the rest of the season you'd have to think there might be a few professional opportunities for him, particularly with a good showing in the finals.
Campbell has been the main on-field architect for Bond's success this season - although he has been an off field architect for Bond for the previous two seasons. He can do it all. Carry, pass, kick, clean out ,bust up the middle, finish - and he is a master reader of the game. Bond's hidden general.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Campbell has been the main on-field architect for Bond's success this season - although he has been an off field architect for Bond for the previous two seasons. He can do it all. Carry, pass, kick, clean out ,bust up the middle, finish - and he is a master reader of the game. Bond's hidden general.
I hope he gets picked up by an Australian side. That said there's every chance the Chiefs try and bring him back over after some of their departures, given his previous time with Waikato.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Easts looking pretty good to fight out the top two positions this year.

They've got a stack of depth this year. Several players that played prems first half of the season playing in lower grades. Jordan Carreira played second grade, Will Sankey (force player) came off the bench in prem grade, Nico Predot (french winger) played 3rd grade, Emile tuimavave played 3rd grade, Pat Elekana (played uni prems) playing the house down in 2nd grade, Matt Skipwith Garland (played prems last year) played 3rd grade.

Alex Smit still to come back from injury, Peni Ravai and Max Craig to come back from 20's. Where do they even fit in when Asiata is playing hooker and Van Nek and Tominiko playing well. New Fijian Number 8 Elia was unstoppable on the weekend too.

Not sure they have the killer edge though to take the comp out though. I look at wests and their backs are crazy and can score tries from anywhere. Yes different sort of style to what easts do. Easts tend to grind out wins. Box kick for position and then take the line outs and drive to try line.

Very even comp this year. ive narrowed it down to 4 teams that can win it. Easts, Wests, Bond and Brothers.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes assumed updated table with their bonus points win and superior for and against. Now they probably get Wilson back - or will he be involved with Australia A?

Australia A has 1 fixture - its in Tonga on Friday afternoon.

They potentially could be back that Saturday… it’s looking like everyone not involved with Eddie jones wallaby squad going to South Africa should be playing club rugby for foreseeable future

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Can the forum answer for me a couple of questions about player eligibility:

1. How is player eligibility/registration checked before fixtures?
2. How many games does a player have to play in a grade to be eligible to play finals for that grade? I assume a player from the lower grades can go up if there are injuries, but what happens about a player coming down the grades.
3. Has there ever been a question of identity? ie. the player named is not the player who played.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can the forum answer for me a couple of questions about player eligibility:

1. How is player eligibility/registration checked before fixtures?
2. How many games does a player have to play in a grade to be eligible to play finals for that grade? I assume a player from the lower grades can go up if there are injuries, but what happens about a player coming down the grades.
3. Has there ever been a question of identity? ie. the player named is not the player who played.