• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just heard annoying news that the ARU has directed that the returning Under 20's Junior Wallabies are to stand down from Club rugby this weekend. WTF!!! Are the ARU on a mission to absolutely kill grass roots Club rugby? Clubs have been without these players for five weeks. I certainly don't begrudge players their representative opportunities but when those commitments are over, let the guys play with their club mates and help their clubs reach their highest possible level.
Spectators will come to suburban clubs to watch and support grassroots rugby, when the best players are playing. No wonder the Wallabies are loosing their support base. Hopefully sense will prevail and the Under 20's will be available but I won't hold my breath.

Mate they beat East last week have a little faith in your team - I think they did a great job without them last week.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The reason I think there will be a backflip is because of atko article last week… after the initial Eddie jones honeymoon and now wallabies losing 2 on the trot… the public is tuning out and rugby australia needs to reengage the fanbase

Should get a better idea tonight with training etc

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Mate they beat East last week have a little faith in your team - I think they did a great job without them last week.
I have a huge amount of faith in our team but I believe that, now that their rep. duties are completed, it should be the players' decision, in consultation with their Club coach, whether they turn out for their club. For example: Taj Annan didn't play in the 5th place play off on the weekend and Trevor King has had limited minutes over the last five weeks.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I have a huge amount of faith in our team but I believe that, now that their rep. duties are completed, it should be the players' decision, in consultation with their Club coach, whether they turn out for their club. For example: Taj Annan didn't play in the 5th place play off on the weekend and Trevor King has had limited minutes over the last five weeks.
Yeah, I think it'd be fair enough if a bit annoying for them to enforce a one game rest for the 23 from that game, but to extend it to the full squad (vs giving those squad palyers the choice) doesn't make a lot of sense.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Just heard annoying news that the ARU has directed that the returning Under 20's Junior Wallabies are to stand down from Club rugby this weekend. WTF!!! Are the ARU on a mission to absolutely kill grass roots Club rugby? Clubs have been without these players for five weeks. I certainly don't begrudge players their representative opportunities but when those commitments are over, let the guys play with their club mates and help their clubs reach their highest possible level.
Spectators will come to suburban clubs to watch and support grassroots rugby, when the best players are playing. No wonder the Wallabies are loosing their support base. Hopefully sense will prevail and the Under 20's will be available but I won't hold my breath.
Makes zero sense, they are not contracted to the ARU are they? And I couldn’t imagine they have anymore games this year. How can they possibly stop them?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are some things that happen in our game that just don’t make sense. Junior Wallabies played 3 pool games a 5-8 play off and then a play off for 5th/6th.

They played 25 June, 29 June, 4 July, 9 July and 14 July. They have not played club since round 11 (10 June)

This Saturday is the 22nd July.

So the squad of 30 players (2 teams) have played 5 games of rugby between them in 6 weeks.

Yes, some got injured and some did more game time than others, but you could hardly call that an extraordinary workload.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
It’s happened Garbutt has resigned from the Brethren
As predicted. That hiding from GPS on the weekend sealed his fate. With Carl Marshall leaving too it'll be interesting to see what Tom Court does......as previously stated the mail is he's returning to UQ

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Although it won’t come into fruition this year, RA is looking at introducing an eight-week cross-over competition involving the Shute Shield and Hospital Cup – the two tournaments where the bulk of Australia’s talent comes out of.

The cross-over comp has been on the agenda for the past two years, but Waugh has made it a priority since replacing Andy Marinos.

“It’s a pretty small population, Australia, and if you think about the rugby supporter base, it is based in the communities, it’s based in schools and clubs and we need to connect with where our base is,” Waugh said in his maiden address as RA CEO in June.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
To finish that quote from the article Reg:

“People are now making a choice about whether they go to club games or whether they go to Super Rugby games and when I was playing, you’d go to your club game and then you’d support your club players at the Super Rugby game.

It’s really important that we actually go back to that and we put our best players and Super players into clubs. Then we bring the club supporters into Super Rugby and into Test matches. I know it sounds pretty logical, but I do think there’s been a huge separation over time."

Interesting those were the words spoken in June and now we're here in mid-July and the complete opposite has been happening.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Apologies mate, you will need those players this week - seen the boys training at Crosby yesterday, I think Souths are in trouble lol

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Easts lift three or four notches when Max Craig is playing - I feel for them. Craig and Grenon (for Bond) have been my comp favourites. Prolific workers the entire time they are on field.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
It has been probably been raised but the All Blacks v Wallabies Test in Dunedin is on at 12:35pm AEST on 5th August.
Not sure this is great scheduling for those who like to attend their local Colts and Club team's games.
"But we are connecting to grassroots!"