• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Some pretty soft defence in this game. Must have softened each other up last week. So much lateral movement in the first 25 mins.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So Brothers v Bond next weekend for a place against Wests in the final. Bond are the minor premiers but Brothers coming in in red hot form with very solid wins against Easts (x2), Wests and Souths over the last month.

The big unknown right now is probably who gets called away on Australia A duty. From the teams that played this weekend it looks like only Gibbon from Bond and Harry Wilson from brothers will be out for certain, though others are probably on the radar - Josh Canham from and for brothers Hamish Stewart and possibly even Lawson Creighton. You'd also have to assume O'Connor and Flook won't be returning for Brothers as they'll also be on Australia A duty. It's fewer players than I was initially expecting, particularly for Brothers who were very good this week without O'Connor and Flook already.

I think a lot may hinge on whether Creighton gets call up, he's been brilliant for Brothers and a big part of their run of form. He's probably only an outside chance, but with Cooper, Foley and Lolesio all unlikely to be part of an Aus A squad he really comes into consideration. Otherwise if we see the same teams as last week just without Gibbon and Wilson it looks like Brothers have the edge for mine.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I wasn't a Creighton fan but he has been super impressive for the brethren in their finals run. He was sensational against Easts i thought again.

As much as i hate the filth...it'll be a real shame for them to get to the final this week with a squad that's only half strength cos of Aus A duties. Coming down to the wire, and from a spectacle point of view... best players should be playing.

Willo

Stan Wickham (3)
I watched Brothers and East yesterday. Some real stand out for Brothers. The young colt winger Tim Ryan is a superstar in the making. He took the high ball each time and was outstanding. The kid has no fear. The other were Lawson Creighton was a complete standout. The Brothers No.9 Tarabay ball to Creighton all day was direct and on the money. I'm not sure if the Aust A player will be available for the remainder of the finals but it would be disappointing if there not. I hope common sense prevails, however in saying that we are talking about Australian rugby.

PS: Hunter and Seru were standout for West on Saturday. To take them out of the GF would be unfair.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
I wasn't a Creighton fan but he has been super impressive for the brethren in their finals run. He was sensational against Easts i thought again.

As much as i hate the filth...it'll be a real shame for them to get to the final this week with a squad that's only half strength cos of Aus A duties. Coming down to the wire, and from a spectacle point of view... best players should be playing.
Agreed, he seems to be growing into the position every time he plays there. Nothing like game time to hone skills and experience.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Brothers are looking good and can’t see Bond holding them back from the GF.
As the stocks of the premier grade have been rising their reserve grade has hit the sand - loss to Wests (Rnd 17), controversial (referee) 1 point win v Easts (Rnd 18) & loss GPS (major). Can the team that did not lose a game until round 17 turn things around this weekend?

Reactions: Ras

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Brothers are looking good and can’t see Bond holding them back from the GF.
As the stocks of the premier grade have been rising their reserve grade has hit the sand - loss to Wests (Rnd 17), controversial (referee) 1 point win v Easts (Rnd 18) & loss GPS (major). Can the team that did not lose a game until round 17 turn things around this weekend?
The reserve grade roster seems relatively unchanged and if anything strengthened in the last couple of weeks. It wouldn't be the first time that coach and group have peaked early and failed to show up at finals time.

If they're knocked out this weekend it might have a strong impact through the lower grades with eligibility. Having super and Aus A players coming into Prems is great as it strengthens the lower teams but the players knocked down can't all have qualified for finals in lower grades?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The reserve grade roster seems relatively unchanged and if anything strengthened in the last couple of weeks. It wouldn't be the first time that coach and group have peaked early and failed to show up at finals time.

You mean the same team and coach that won the comp last year?

Harsh marker!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would probably be a function of the new 100 point system the top three teams cannot afford the points.

Regardless of whether the points system is definitely being implemented from next year, I know the QRU specifically wanted to address the issue of delegation of Super Rugby players across clubs as a key point for QPR 2024.

It's been mentioned a few times here, but I believe this will be the last season the Rebels have their 'official' relationship with Wests, as part of that discussion.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Looks like those 2 new props from New Zealand (Hodgeman & GTA) are linking up with Sunnybank and Norths rugby in qpr for 2024
Mite be the first example of the new 100
Regardless of whether the points system is definitely being implemented from next year, I know the QRU specifically wanted to address the issue of delegation of Super Rugby players across clubs as a key point for QPR 2024.

It's been mentioned a few times here, but I believe this will be the last season the Rebels have their 'official' relationship with Wests, as part of that discussion.
Wests are being strategic in going hard at Colts next year with Phil Mooney etc as colts coaches.
I expect that space to be the most competitive in recruiting.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Mite be the first example of the new 100

Wests are being strategic in going hard at Colts next year with Phil Mooney etc as colts coaches.
I expect that space to be the most competitive in recruiting.

It’s the best strategy I reckon… what souths has done with supplying an hoard of talent for Aus u20. They could fill out that team with a couple of incoming super rugby players and be under the cap.

The cap system is a mess however like there’s so many players whom you got to ask if they are “super rugby = 10 points”

Sorovi is unsigned - didn’t play a minute of super rugby this season.:: do you give him 10 points because he was super rugby qualified at start of season or is he 1 point cause he’s just a 3rd tier halfback now.