• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
It really leans into that run of form they've had, alongside the fact that they come into the semi off a challenging but easier game then Bond had last week. Wests are probably relatively well prepared to lose the players though, Paisami and Daugunu haven't really been there this year and I think they have good cover for Uru. All that said I'm not counting Bond out just yet, there's still heaps of talent in that side and they've been really strong this year. It's still a very even 3 teams remaining and I could easily see any of them winning it.
Bond's issue doesn't appear to be in the forwards, but Canham's all-round abilities will be missed . The front 8 had a stellar game against Wests with solid tackles, turnovers and a good scrum...it appeared to be the backline that faltered and wavered at times. The link-ups on attack were missing, the 9-10 combo of Jeans and Campbell was out of sorts, the back three weren't firing on all cylinders - and whether or not Wests had planned it, Stowers was rattled (possibly by some solid hits) and not at his best....well demonstrated by kicking a line drop out directly to the biggest player on the field only 5 metres out. Wests were awesome on attack - even when Bond's defence was quite dogged. They deserve their GF berth. The Brothers/Bond clash will go one of two ways - Hard grinding tussle or open, running blow out.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Bond without Gibbon and Canham , they still have a Super Rugby Capped LH prop on the bench so not all Bad - Brothers without JOC (James O'Connor) and Flook but retain Creighton, Wilson and Stuart so not all bad there either.

Not sure why people think Bond are the underdogs this weekend as they have more players with Super experience than Brothers by a lot - in saying that Brothers are starting to gel as a team and peaking at the right time, how good is club footy at the moment.

Hugh Jardon

Bob McCowan (2)
It really leans into that run of form they've had, alongside the fact that they come into the semi off a challenging but easier game then Bond had last week. Wests are probably relatively well prepared to lose the players though, Paisami and Daugunu haven't really been there this year and I think they have good cover for Uru. All that said I'm not counting Bond out just yet, there's still heaps of talent in that side and they've been really strong this year. It's still a very even 3 teams remaining and I could easily see any of them winning it.

i reckon Paisami was outstanding on the weekend and the difference with his kicking game and just general play. definitley a bit of a dampener with the lads on australia A duties.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
i reckon Paisami was outstanding on the weekend and the difference with his kicking game and just general play. definitley a bit of a dampener with the lads on australia A duties.
I was very impressed by Hunter. Really hoping he can find his previous super form. A hard hitting 12 with deft hands and a boot is such a luxury that we haven't had for the Wallabies for yonks. Would be a great replacement for Kerevi if he comes good.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I was very impressed by Hunter. Really hoping he can find his previous super form. A hard hitting 12 with deft hands and a boot is such a luxury that we haven't had for the Wallabies for yonks. Would be a great replacement for Kerevi if he comes good.
I really think he just needs consistent game time at this stage, after what was a very injury interrupted year. It sucks that he'll miss the final, but on the flip side a run of games with Aus A/the Barbarians could set him up really well for next year.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I recon that Wests, Brothers & Easts had the harder games leading into the finals playing each other in the last 3 rounds whereas Bond had an easy run in comparatively, this may have left them a bit off guard with final’s intensity. They will be better for the run against Wests in the major but really interesting to see if they can rally or whether they go out in straight sets.
I have my thoughts on which way it might go but won’t say for fear of offending the Bros or Bond faithful.

Ballymore10s

Frank Row (1)
First things first - I really love watching Lawson Creighton kicking at goal. Such a beautiful technique if I say so myself.
As for this week's semi - Brothers have the momentum and I dare say heading into this week's clash @ Yoku Road as the favourites but it is finals footy, and anything can happen.
As much as I love Creighton's goalkicking technique, I'm going to go Bond by 8 and if they win, they need to revert to this old gem for the GF.

GCBreakers.jpg

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Curiosity - why aren’t all the semis at Ballymore?
(A) Clubs make more money from semis, so it's a good way to back grassroots rugby (although it would be good if some of that money was actually spent on fields. Looking at you Brothers...)
(b) QRU has historically lost money on the semis because of the needs to spend money on security etc (I think there's something in the council permits that they need it, but suburban clubs can slide under the radar)

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Brothers are looking good and can’t see Bond holding them back from the GF.
As the stocks of the premier grade have been rising their reserve grade has hit the sand - loss to Wests (Rnd 17), controversial (referee) 1 point win v Easts (Rnd 18) & loss GPS (major). Can the team that did not lose a game until round 17 turn things around this weekend?
Rematch of Easts v Brothers this weekend in reserves.

In the round 18 game, the scrum advantage (referee arm out) to a dominant Easts pack that then disappeared because it was simultaneous with the ball coming out Brothers' side was a tough decision. But it didn't cost Easts the game.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Rematch of Easts v Brothers this weekend in reserves.

In the round 18 game, the scrum advantage (referee arm out) to a dominant Easts pack that then disappeared because it was simultaneous with the ball coming out Brothers' side was a tough decision. But it didn't cost Easts the game.
Now that the Easts Prems are out how does that effect the selection criteria for the Easts reserve grade.